Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Lovely new acquisition - pretty Begonia

pirate_girl
11 years ago

Unusual looking leaf, oblong, came my way at a meeting, in this lovely little Delft reminiscent pot, I was just charmed, think I paid $1 each, one for the plant, one for the pot.

Comments (24)

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a different view

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Settling in, new growth in the last several weeks since I got it.

• ada70
    11 years ago

Sooo cute, plant and pot. Congrats!
    Niada

• greenthumbfaerie
    11 years ago

I have one of those! :) They can get really big REALLY fast! I got mine back in May as two tiny cuttings, and now it takes up about 4 square feet of table space and the leaves are nearly 12 inches long!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

That's a beauty. I am sure it will do well in you care. Please keep us posted on its growth Karen. A match made in heaven. A perfect little pot for a perfect little plant. I wonder what the flowers will look like?

Mike

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Looks very happy! Nice! I'm going to go out on a limb and guess pink on the flowers.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Very nice, know the species?

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OOps, sorry, I meant to say it's B. salicifolia, or that's what I'm told.

Online searches tell me it'll be white bloom (pink would have been nice), but white looks that would match the silver/white spots nicely. It's got a prime spot in front of a west window, until I figure what else it wants, or if it could do w/ less light.

• greenthumbfaerie
    11 years ago

I have had begonias that were supposed to bloom white surprise me with pink flowers before, especially when they're in good light! :) I have mine in a south facing window, and it flowered salmon pink! :)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Great Buy!! Wonderful Price too!

Looks nice and ready to take off for you!!

Please post more pics as it grows..

Laura

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Salicifolia- willow leaf, cool

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

It looks like an AngleWing begonia to me. Does its leave looks like the one in the picture? It is cane type can grow 3'+ talk canes. It arches graceful when the canes grow taller. Flowers can be white or pink, mine is pink. But I have seen white one too. It is a very easy plant to grow. It blooms all year long with tons of flowers. Give it stronger light, the flowers are darker pink; give it less light, the flowers are pale pink.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Do Angelwings have the red tinge underneath? Thats a sign of a plant fronm dense forest.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Olympia, nice!

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Purple, thanks, and good to see you. Larry, some Anglewing has red ting on its back and some don't. Their leaves are in the shape of angle's wing. That is why they are called Anglewing begonia.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Karen, very pretty Begonia..The stem/trunk is huge. If OG hadn't mentioned Angel Wing, I'd assume your Begonia was a cane.

OG..beautiful flowers.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I think that PG's begonia is B. salicifolia. I had to look some up to see since I wasn't familiar with it, but it appears to be that plant. It'll be fun to see how it develops.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Olympia, yes Im aware of what an angel wing is, but all begonias havr that off-centre leaf shape.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry Larry,

That's not true at all, all Begonias do not have that Angel Wing shape: rex Begonias don't have that shape, nor do the rhizomatous Begonias (like Beefsteak or Art Hodes).

Don't know where you're getting this info, but unless I misunderstand what you said, it simply ain't so.

Thanks Rhizo, from what I looked up, it seemed to match my plant.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

PG, what I mean is the overall shape, typical of begonias. A bit like an ear shape with the petiole off centre. Pretty much all begonias have that shape except maybe the bedding type.
    The shape is almost like half a heart, and the petiole doesn't meet the leaf blade in the centre.

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pls. excuse me, I forgot to say Hi Olivia, beautiful blooms you've got there, great shot, vibrant color. I do see what you mean about the same kind of speckle on the leaves, not sure about the shape of my leaves, I thought they were oblong, hum.

I'm not familiar w/ what GL means about 'bedding' begonias. Maybe it's differences in what we call them, but the only ones I know that consistently get that leaf shape were referred to as the caning Begonias.

Hey Toni,

You think the trunk (stem) is thick, really? May I pls. ask what's significant abt that? It didn't occur to me that was unusual.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

PG, bedding plants are those that are planted out for temporary colour in summer, they're not hardy so are there just to add temporary colour.
    Leaf shape, typical begonia leaf shape, off centre, tear drop shape, leaf stem not joining the leaf in the middle, practically all begonias have that leaf shape!
    Are Angel Wings different?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Pirate, the most commonly grown 'bedding plant ' begonia in the US is Begonia sempervirens-cultorum. There are numerous cultivars and more being introduced all the time. Though fully perennial, they are used as and sold as an annual. It makes a nice little houseplant for a bright location.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Thats the one Rhizo, B.sempervirens!
    Unlike most begonias the leaves are round I believe.