Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to gardening... need help identifying plants

Posted by rsanford FL (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 20:17

Hello all! I am very new to gardening. I have a job in the Botany department (I am actually a Zoologist, but this is just where the opening was!) and someone else in the greenhouse was about to throw away these plants and they said we could take them. The problem is, I don't even know what species they are! Which makes looking up online how to care for them difficult. I took some pictures. Maybe you guys could tell me generally what they are.

Here is a link to the flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62464127@N03/sets/72157627680137871/

Any help would be appreciated, even if you can only name one :). Also, if you know anything about the care of these plants (how much light, how much water, etc.) I would also appreciate that!
Thank you, Rachel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to gardening... need help identifying plants

Hi Rachel & Welcome,

I"ll get you started w/ some names & others can chime in w/ care maybe & then you can also check looking up:

1. Some Palm

2. Peperomia obtusifolia

3. Sansevieria moonshine

4. Epipremnum aka Pothos

5. Peperomia (don't know which, looks thirsty,
think it needs water)

6. Corn Plant (Dracena ?)

7. Fern

there you go ...

These are all tropicals or semi-tropicals, except the Sansevieria, which is a succulent.

o

Thank you! I didn't expect this fast of a response- this forum is awesome :) I will look up the care on these and go for it!

o

Hello and Welcome.
1. Chamaedorea Elegansm, 'Parlor Palm'

5. Peperomia obtusifoliia, variegata

6. Dracaena warneckii, 'Striped Dracaena'

7. Nephrolepis exaltuta, 'Fluffy Ruffles' Fern

You got some really nice specimens...Toni

o

You're most welcome. We're not always this good but we do try. Happily in this instance Toni (HopefulA) filled in the ones I couldn't specify further.

Thanks Toni -- nice 'workin' w/ ya!

o

Thank you, too, Karen. Team Players..work together, help when we can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here