Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deburn_gw

Please ID these 2 plants (with pics)

deburn
13 years ago

Hi everyone, please tell what these two plants are. I also need advice on what to do with the green plant. I bought it about 3 weeks ago and it seemed to do well at first.

It was in a large room, about 15 or 20 feet from very large, south facing windows. When the leaves started drooping, I moved it gradually to a brighter location, about 8 feet from the window, but not in direct light.

The leaves are still drooping and I'd like to know what I should do. I've watered it about twice since I got it.

{{gwi:109601}}

{{gwi:109602}}

{{gwi:109603}}

Thanks!

deburn

Comments (10)

• denninmi
    13 years ago

The first one is a clump of coffee plants, Coffea arabica, the plain old coffee beans you drink, planted and allow to grow into a green foliage plant.

It appears to me you've dried them out severely. They need constant moisture. They may recover with even watering, if not, they are easy to come by.

The second plant is Pan Am Pilea (P. cadierei 'Pan Am').

• deburn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks denninmi. The soil of the coffee plant is still moist, so I don't know if that's the problem, but I will try more water - deburn

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Deburn, if the soil is still moist, don't add more water.

What size is the pot?
    The soil looks soaked..is it?
    Let the soil dry out, then water.
    Another problem could be dry air. Shower/spray leaves once a day, without aiming at soil.

For now, what is pot size? Toni

• deburn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Toni, I did water the plant this morning :-(, so I guess the soil is soaked now. I've moved it closer to the window and will spray it tomorrow morning

The pot is 4" in size. It's the standard 1.98 plant from HD.

thanks,
    deburn

• deburn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, the plant in the first two pics is still dying. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Deburn, your Coffee's leaves look dry. Are they crispy?
    If they are, it's best removing them.
    They need bright light, not full sun. Especially when young.
    Spray or shower leaves daily. Water when soil feels/looks crumbly, not bone dry.
    It took me years to conquer growing a coffee tree, they'd live less than a year then die. The one I have now is a little over five years..I left it outside, nights dropped in the 20's, and now my poor coffee looks terrible. Very few leaves are alive.
    I hope yours makes it, Toni

• deburn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Toni, the leaves of two stems were crispy, so I just removed them. I'll try the other things you mentioned, but it's not looking good!

Sorry to hear about your troubles - they are beautiful plants
    deburn

• PRO
    Horticultural Help
    13 years ago

Neither plant plant is getting enough light. The Pilea in particular has very elongated stems between the nodes, a sure sign of inadequate light. I suggest pruning back the stems to where the growth is more compact and then provide more light. New growth will be more compact, which is what you want with a Pilea.

The coffee plant appears to be in a pot that is too large and that means the soil is not drying out properly between waterings. Excess soil around the roots retains water for too long and causes root rot. Root rot symptoms often mimic excessive dryness symptoms because the roots are no longer absorbing water properly.

Will Creed

• deburn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Will, I shall cut back the pilea and put the coffee in a smaller pot

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Will, perhaps you didn't see Deburn's post..His Coffee is potted in a 4" pot.

Deburn, unless your Coffee's roots are extremely tiny, I'd keep in the 4" and let soil dry between waterings. Toni

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville