Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staghorn Fern ID?

Posted by wandering_willow 6-7 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 23, 10 at 20:29

Hi Everyone, my boyfriend just bought me a beautiful staghorn fern in a hanging basket for my birthday, and I am hoping someone here can help me figure out what type it is and how best to care for it! I posted before in the Fern forum, but got no answers, so I was hoping for better luck her. I really want to do right by it, it is so beautiful!

I am sort of considering mounting it, but am afraid to hurt it - does anyone have any recommendations as to whether or not I should, and if I should how best to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Here are the pictures :) I'm sorry they are big, I cannot figure out how to resize them...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staghorn Fern ID?

It could be a Platycerium andinum or P. holttumii. They are hard to distinguish. Both have similar care requirements - lots of warmth, moisture and bright indirect light. It would look better mounted, but that could be difficult because it looks like it is in a fairly large pot with a substantial rootball and because it is an upright growing plant.

I suggest that you wait at least 6 months until it has had enough time to adapt to its (your) new home and you have had time to learn how to manage its requirements.

Will Creed

o
RE: Staghorn Fern ID?

Thank you so much for responding! I will definitely way the 6 months, I don't want to upset it! I like it very much, I really hope I can do right by it! I will follow your advice of keeping it warm/moist and in indirect sun! Luckily that's what I've done so far based on generic staghorn information I looked up... So far it seems happy enough, but it's only been with me two weeks...

Thanks again for your help!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here