Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savannaicus

Types of Spider Plants?

savannaicus
9 years ago

It seems that there are more types of Spider Plants that I thought. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to show me a link or tell me just how many are out there. I currently have a solid green, variegated (white in middle) and just picked up a Bonnie. I've read there are as many as 7 but other pages online had 4, so I wasn't sure. Thanks so much as a curious mind wants to know!

Comments (11)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Copied and pasted from wiki:

The World Checklist of Selected Plant Families recognized 191 species as of January 2013

List at link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Chlorophytum

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

Of C. comosus there is Variegatum,Vittatum,Hawaii, the species, Bonnie, Variegated Bonnie, and a few other rather nondescript varieties. There are other species like C.amanese"FireFlash" many that dont form babies and some wuite weedy.......

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

I have in my own collection the following Chlorophytum comosum varieties. These all produce plantlets.

1. Solid green
    2. Curly solid green
    3. C. c. vittatum - has the white center and is huge
    4. C. c. variegatum - has white margins
    5. Bonni - curly with white center
    6. Miniature - a small version of vittatum
    7. Hawaiian - white center fades to green as leaves mature
    8. Unnamed variety with cream center

There are also several variations on these main themes whether they are actual named cultivars or not. The C. c. variegatum known as Ocean has a wider leaf than most of the white edged varieties. I've also seen a variety gaining popularity in Asia, but not yet in the U.S. that has an extremely wide leaf with only a narrow green margin, and much larger flowers. It's stunning, but I've seen no sign that it's left Asia yet.

Growing conditions further confuse the issue, and might explain the Asian cultivar. My own green variety has wide, spikey leaves. I got another green variety with narrow, curved leaves which began growing spikey leaves like my own once I got it home. Curly leaf varieties will, purportedly, straighten out if they get no direct sun, but they are NOT just stressed plants as some people claim. Mine all get direct sun, but except for a small arch in the leaves of my dwarf, none actually curls like the curly varieties.

Some people also refer to C. laxum as a spider plant. Some varieties of C. laxum have similar leaves and variegation to C. comosum, but C. laxum does not produce plantlets, and is more often called Mondo Grass or Monkey Grass. Other varieties of C. laxum look nothing like spider plants, yet some confused people still call them "purple spider plants" or "rainbow spider plants" so don't be fooled.

I also saw a purported new cultivar of C. comosum out of Mbotyi, South Africa, with a wavy margin, but I suspect it is actually a C. laxum as its growth pattern looks more like laxum than comosum.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

I recall looking at some pics of ocean before and being pretty impressed. Wouldn't mind having one just for variety.

But as you said,it's not anywhere to be found.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

I thought I might have an Ocean spider plant. The leaves are very wide and look like some pics I have seen of it.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

Thanks! She is my fav plant. It grows at incredible speed. One draw back is that the leaves are so big and heavy that they tend to break. Although they usually grow a "repair bump" and I can get the leaf to stand back up again.

I also think I have a Hawaiian, which also grows these really wide leaves. Actually I bought it with another green spider plant - they looked exactly the same. I gave the other one to my mom. As it turns out, her green spider is just a regular green spider but mine grew into something that looks quite different. Later I found out that I had a Hawaiian. This one grows slower than my other one.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

Now I want a "Pacific!"

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

Where do you buy these cultivar......

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

TeenGardener, the best way I've found is to just keep my eyes open. I check grocery stores, box stores, garden stores, etc. whenever I pass by just to see if something interesting has gotten into a shipment.

You can also order online from eBay, Amazon, Etsy, etc., but you have to be really careful because people just don't know what they have, so do your own research and be sure the seller is really selling what they say they are. I ask for photos of the actual plant I am buying, and with spider plants, it's best to see the parent plant also. People often use nice photos they find online that don't represent the plant they're selling, and they get very confused about names, such as calling C. laxum a spider plant, or even referring to ALL Chlorophytum as spider plants. They also attach cultivar names to the wrong plants, or make-up cultivar names.

Reputable online nurseries are a more reliable source for specific cultivars and healthy plants, but they're also more expensive.

There is an Exchange page here on GardenWeb if you have something to trade for pups. Dave's Garden also has a pretty good Exchange system, and lists nurseries that carry specific plants.

Rio, again, a nice looking plant, and I agree that's a Hawaiian. My own is still very young and hasn't darkened yet. It's a rather unspectacular yellowish cream-centered thing right now, but does have the wide leaves.

• RioSeven
    9 years ago

I think you can get these plants too! I bought the Ocean plant at Home Depot, in Canada, in June, of this past summer. I think the problem is that the plant did not say Ocean on it. Just "tropical plant." I knew it was a spider and I bought it. It started out looking like a regular spider. But then when it started to grow it started to look different.

The Hawaiian, I bought at a box store called Rona here in Canada. Kinda like Lowes...it was also marked "tropical" and looked just like the one I bought for my mom but as it turns out it was different.

Long story short, Teen, Maybe you are seeing these plants but when they are young they just look like standard spiders...and since they are not labelled properly, it goes unnoticed?

Kwie, I kinda liked it when mine had the creamy middle, reminded me of key lime pie. The leaves are now mostly green, but very glossy. The pups look like normal spiders, but I heard that they will darken with age.