Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hornetwife_gw

Anyone have an Amate Schefflera Tree?

hornetwife
16 years ago

Hi all,

Does anyone have an Amate Schefflera Umbrella tree with pics you could share? I am trying to decide if mine is sick or not. The new leaves are standing up very nicely but the other existing leaves are drooping. The pics I have seen online show them both ways. Just wanting to compare notes...

I've had this a long time and just making sure it's okay.

I don't ever remember the leaves being this droopy.

Thanks,

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:109762}}

Comments (13)

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In contrast to other pic, this is a new leaf...
    To droop or not to droop?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:109763}}

• micke
    16 years ago

Mine looks just like that, I always assumed that is where the "Umbrella" came in on it's name. Yours looks very healthy:)

• watergal
    16 years ago

Looks fine to me too, very healthy, actually. I think they droop more as they get mature.

• lucy
    16 years ago

I believe Amate is probably just the grower's name, and has nothing to do with what the tree (Schefflera arboricola) is.

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Amate is the engineered name. I use that name because it was on the tag and because people know what I am talking about.
    Anyway,thanks for the replies. What size pots do you guys have your trees in and what are their watering habits? Mine is in a 12" pot. I usually use a full watering can to water it and yet no water ever comes out of the bottom???? It goes dry in between waterings fairly quickly. It sits in front of a NW window and gets full afternoon sun. Thanks for your info, I appreciate it.
    Lori

• watergal
    16 years ago

How big is your watering can? Quart? Two gallon?

They like to be pretty dry, so I think you're watering OK, especially if you're not dropping leaves.

• hornetwife
    Original Author
    16 years ago

1 Gallon. About every 7-10 days. Seems to be agreeable if leaf droop is normal.

• micke
    16 years ago

I would just keep doing what you are doing on the watering, mine goes about 2 to 3 weeks in Winter, about every week in Summer if I set it outside, it is in a 10" pot. I am glad you posted this because I moved it out and picked it up to see what size the pot was (being careful of the ceiling fan, almost got the top leaves!) the bottom tray fell off and I noticed roots coming out of the bottom holes and I noticed a big crack in the side of the pot, wonder when that happened, guess I will have to hit the pot section at the store tomorrow:)

• greattigerdane
    15 years ago

Your plant is not Schefflera arboricola, but the larger version called, Schefflera actinophylla.

• stinkybuds
    13 years ago

Yea, your Schefflera looks totally normal, as long as the newer growth is perky. The older leaves get thicker and heavier with age which makes them droop more. I personally love the way it looks. My big one is three separate stalks in one 12" pot. It is about 7.5 ft tall with the pot and I have it in an east facing window. It also gets a lot of supplemental light from a fixture beside the plant with bright energy saving bulbs. I water it about the same as you guys. About a gallon once a week.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Here's a picture of your Brassaia actinophylla (used to be called Shefflera). Looks like drooping leaves are the norm!

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

• guerrys23_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

In cold climate can you plant a Scheffera in the ground to grow

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

Being a subtropical native of Taiwan, it requires a frost-free environ as a permanent home.

Al

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm