Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eahamel

Need Help - ID this Fern, Please!

eahamel
11 years ago

Posting here because fern forum seems to have cobwebs these days. Anyway, I got this one, which will probably be fine, and a royal fern that's in worse shape than this one. They were free, so if they don't survive I'm not out anything. But I would like to know what this one is.

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Picture?

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, phooey. I did an edit and forgot the pic.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Looks like a ruddy Oak tree!
    Very cool looking fern!

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

In a way, your fern reminds me of Pteris....

Common names are Table or Brake Fern.

With a little work, your fern will be striking.

Remove/cut yellow/dead fronds..Soak in sink until water is drawn through drainage holes..Shower/spray foliage daily.

Your fern requires high-humidity, so spraying is necessary. If possibly, shower fronds, not soil, weekly..Unless soil needs a drink.

Soil should stay moist, not wet. I allow soil to dry 'a little' between waterings. Fronds yellow when soil is kept too wet or dry.

My ferns are fertilized during spring and summer w/acid-loving fertilizer. Example. Rhodo/Azalea timed-release pellets. Every so often they get a dose of Epson Salts and vinegar to soil.

Good luck, Toni

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, I can't find any pteris that looks anything like this. Your info is good, though, and will work for it. It's had a good soak, and I watered it with Superthrive and Medina, which will help it recover from being too dry, which I think is what happened to it. I hope the Royal Fern that I got also will recover, but that one's really questionable.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Hi Eahamel. The problem w/Pteris, there's about 280 species..lol..

I Googled Pteris pics..a couple resemble your fern, but as stated above, your fern 'reminds' me of Pteris. Not a definate ID.
    There's wayyyy too many ferns in the world..lol.

What is Medina?

Eahamel, is Royal fern a hardy fern, normally grown in gardens? I Googled Royal Fern...those I saw said garden fern, can reach 6', even hardy in IL.

Do you know its botanical name?

I gave up trying to keep super-duper tropical ferns indoors. I have 3 ferns, all w/thick foliage. Seems, thicker-foliage types do well w/lower humidity.
    I LOVE tree ferns, but they sure don't live here. lol.

Toni

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

I dont think its Pteris

• eahamel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toni, you're right, there are way too many ferns in the world! The royal fern is osmunda. I'm not sure how well it will do in my yard, it probably needs more of a shade garden than I have. They can get pretty big. If I'd realized that I would have picked up another of the ferns like the one in the pic. A nursery here discards plants that are looking bad and that they can't sell by putting them outside their gates and anyone can pick them up for free. Isn't that nice of him? There was a feature item on the local news about it - a woman showed the landscaping she'd done at her house with his discards, and it looked really great. I've been shopping there probably 20 years and didn't know that.

Most ferns don't do well indoors. I used to be a member of the local fern society, and everyone kept their outside in tropical settings, or in greenhouses. I may put my foundling in a basket.

Medina is a plant "...soil activator with seaweed extracts high in micronutrients and natural plant growth regulators. Ideal for reducing transplant shock and making foliar sprays to stimulate fruiting and blooming". I didn't know it isn't a national product. It isn't a heavy fertilizer, its numbers are 0.50%, 0.10%, 0.05%.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

The funky cold medina! And I can't dance today, poo!