Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Ixora ever come back from the roots?

Posted by odyssey3 7 VA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 21:15

Plant disaster! I had a lovely miniature Ixora in an 8 inch pot. I transplanted it into the gritty mix about a week and a half ago, and within a few days the leaved completely dried out and curled. Watering didn't help. I know they don't like to dry out, but I didn't think I let it dry out. Maybe it doesn't like the gritty mix. Anyway, I pruned off all the crunchy leaves and I pruned the stems down too, looking for green. I never found any. It is no at 5 inches tall and I figured I'd wait to see if anything sprouts.

Anyone know if this is a plant that can come back from the roots? I'd be sad to lose it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Ixora ever come back from the roots?

Growing outdoors in Fla, a cold winter can kill them to the ground, but so far they grown back from the roots in the spring. Don't know if this applies to tiny dwarf plants in containers, but there's room for hope, I think

o

Thanks Figuswrangler. Hope is good.
Now I just need to figure out how long to give it before losing hope.

o

Here they're considered an environmental weed, very difficult to get rid of. Even if digging up the roots you leave a bit behind it comes back. A neighbour cut a lot away and dumped the branches. A month or two later a lot of the branches were growing again. I'd say it's pretty tough, but it depends on why the plant died back in the first place. Best to wait and see. But if you didn't find any live wood when you cut it back you can't be sure how far it died back. Good luck with it, they are a beautiful plant if well grown.

o

Had to refresh my memory with this name- same family as coffee, bedstraw and the similar Pentas.
Tropical evergreen shrubs .

o

Ody, I thought Ixora/Flame of the Woods was an annual, but Wiki proved me wrong.

Do you know which species you have? Has it flowered? If so, what color were blooms?

Good luck, Toni

o

That is encouraging tropicbreezent. I wish I understood why mine just shriveled away so quickly. I will probably give it a month to see if anything comes back.

Yes, greenlarry, also known as a jungle geranium.

Toni, the flowers of mine were a lovely coral pink. It is a dwarf Ixora coccinea. It was a really cute plant.

o

This is one of mine, a larger variety. I've also seen yellow ones being sold.

o

Very nice Tropical!

o

Very nice Tropical!

o

Odyssey...how tall do mini's get? Coral pink sounds very pretty.
The only Ixora flowers I've seen were orange, but orange is lovely, too.

Tropic...beautiful flowers.

o

Lovely tropicbreeze! I wish I could grow them outside in the ground.

Toni, I don't think the dwarf variety gets more than a foot tall. I see Logee's has one that looks like mine, but they say it is Ixora taiwanensis. I'm not sure which species name is correct.

Here is a link that might be useful: Logee's dwarf pink Ixora

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here