Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you overwinter outdoor pots indoors?

Posted by jujujojo none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 21:25

I love the double impatience. However, they do not seem to survive well indoors. Do you have any method that works?

photo 3_zpsfe23be58.jpg

photo 22_zps6122d120.jpg

photo 02_zps7673ae15.jpg

photo 12_zps6c4e0ee4.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you overwinter outdoor pots indoors?

You could try cutting it back and placing it in a sunny spot for the winter, and root the cuttings. See what survives and thrives.
I don't really know if that would work, but it's a great opportunity to test two different ways of overwintering it.

Sorry I don't know more, I've only messed with impatiens once and I tossed them when winter came about. Didn't have any good places for them anyway. If you find a way I would love to hear about it, impatiens are beautiful.

I love yours, they look like whorls of peppermint candies.

o

Yours is a beauty, I agree with Auron, you have nothing to loose & everything to gain :>)

o

There is another cultivar of purple and white with coloring less regular on the petals.

photo 9_zps58b0fbc7.jpg

photo 4_zpse2925e28.jpg

photo 7_zps9f554571.jpg

photo 6_zps165e541e.jpg

photo 5_zps287aa150.jpg

photo 3_zpsca2168b9.jpg

photo 2_zpsa4d9a763.jpg

photo 8_zpsc08deb03.jpg

o

Mine are declining rapidly now.

o

During autumn days the sun's intensity is much less so the plant can usually be put close to the window---but watch out for sun burn through the glass....and less watering because they are not growing and as such, then are not given fertilizer.
Flowering will eventually stop but if they can survive, will re-flower when the sun returns in mid February.
The trick is to not let them dry out too much, water them only as it is used, dump the excess drainage, and not let them be hit by air currents--which is always the case when the furnace is on--the nighttime temperatures will agree with them...60° - 65° and keep them from drafts---such as near a door that is continually being opened and closed.
It can be a struggle but with care plants should come through well.
I think the biggest mistake is in watering. People tend to water much as they used when the plant was growing in summer. But they use much less and if they are not growing, need no food

o

Posted by goren 6 (My Page) on Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 17:00

Thank you so much. Our house is very warm with the thermometer set to 25 C (75 F). The dry heating winds blow all over the house. There are mature trees outside our windows, so it is very dark indoors. You could imagine my difficulty :)

We do have a big basement with several small windows. But it is dusty down there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here