Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Antherium

Posted by char35 9 Tx. (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 21:32

I've had a small antherium (about 10 inches high) for a couple of years and have struggled to keep it alive with an occasional bloom. I don't have proper lighting for it in winter. I was considering a grow light. Can any one offer suggestions on type and lumins needed. Thank you for any help. My antherium thanks you too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Antherium

Just to let you know, Anthuriums are not easy to grow to begin with so being that you say you've had it for a couple of years, I'd say you're doing more than some of us could (even if you were struggling to keep it alive).

Planto

o

Seems like there should be a lot of sun for you in winter in TX. No good window to put your plant by? The one I got in the spring seems to like a lot of light except mid-day, which burned it a little, but that is outside. If you have just the one plant, maybe you could put it outside most days, just bring it in on cold nights.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 18:08

I bought one recently and then googled for care instructions. So far so good. The articles all agreed to give it high light levels but not direct sunlight. Mine is happy in a west window and seems to be doing o.k. Marg

o

I leave it outside as long as the temp. is over 60 degrees.
The area around our house has a lot of trees and in winter the sun angle is to low to give the antherium enough light.
I was thinking of adding a grow light when it's indoors.
I've been reading recent comments on grow lights, but I'm not sure if 1 - 60 watt CFL "daylight" bulb that provides about 5000K would be the right amount of light for the one plant. I would put the bulb in a "clamp lamp". Then, the next question would be how close should the light be to the plant. I read somewhere it should be about 1 foot away. What do you all think?

o

Haven't tried that kind of bulb but have used shop lights a few winters for other plants. I would put the bulb much closer to the plant but that's just a guess. Hope it helps, these sure are pretty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here