Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polly381

oh oh lowes had a clearance sale

Polly381
11 years ago

I went into Lowes and they were having a clearance, so I bought this palm and some other plants. I cant think of the name of this palm. There was no tag. It was 3.00. I couldnt resist even though I swore I wouldnt buy any more of their plants.

SOOO plant experts I need your help.

Thanks

Comments (19)

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

Sago Palm

Planto

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here is a philodendren looking vine. THe leaves are fuzzy.

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What is the best soil mix for the palm?
    thanks

• silentsurfer
    11 years ago

ohh,,!? a good ol philo. scandens right?
    just got one from wallys (over the weekend?), Luv em,
    yea those darn Sagos are always soo tempting,, so glad you were able to keep your will-power Polly! lol
    ..and now guess who else be hittin Lowes right afta wrk tomm? Enabler,,
    ENABLER!!! hehe :)~

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    11 years ago

Hi Polly,

They are called Sago Palms and just like Pony Tail Palms, they are not really "palms"

Sagos are not really in the Palm family. They say they are related to Conifers and Ginko trees.

Here is a link to help you. They often sell them as little Bonsai in the Box stores and set them in glued stone.

They usually flush out a new growth in the summer and only one time per season. SO it can be a slow grower. I have had a few here in Virginia and i use a fast draining mix with mine.

If yours is set in the glued stone. I would wait and repot in the spring/summer and get it out of the stones.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations on a great buy!!

Laura

http://www.sunpalmtrees.com/Cold-Hardy-Palm-Trees-Sago-Palms.htm

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

That's a cycad, known as Sago Palm, even tho its not a palm- closer to ferns than palms. Very nice!

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Silent, YEP THATS ME! LOL I actually bought 5 plants. I will post more today. Check them out, I could use some advice.

Love plants, thanks for the information. I always wanted one and it was only 2 dollars. how could I go wrong? LOL
    what exactly is the mix you use? I will definately look at that link.

Thanks Larry, I also bought a succulent garden for 4.00. Was 30 something originally. Now thats the way I like to buy plants. LOL

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Silent,yep Philodendren scandens micans.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Polly, is that Philo an EA plant? If it's the same 'Micans' that I got a while back, the sheaths around the brand new leaves are a really pretty coral/pink color if it's getting some sun on it. The new leaves have an orange hue. A very cool Philo!

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Purple
    are the leaves kind of fuzzy? It says low light so I'm not sure if its the same but it looks it.Yes it says Exotic Angel, origin Brazil

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple I forgot to add, I hope mine is the same, that sure is pretty.

11 years ago

Sounds like they at least had the same tag, you can never be totally sure that somebody didn't accidentally move the tag or put the wrong one in. Look the same to me, but what does that mean? LOL!

I wouldn't go all the way to fuzzy, but they're not as smooth as my "regular" heart-leaf Philo, and thinner than that one, delicate. When I first brought this home, it wasn't as colorful and was getting some burned spots. I've settled on putting it in the dappled shadow of taller plants and the new leaves aren't burning. Just needed to adjust I guess. It's been growing like crazy and I've already given a piece away.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Lovely pothos there purple, and I like the trellis you used! Looks like something from the kitchen!

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok so here's another one I bought. I thought how can I go wrong for $4.00.
    It does however have some hard spots on some of the leaves on one of the plants. I am not familiar with the names of these plants so I would love if anyone can help me out. I am hoping its not scale.
    gosh I am getting paranoid about buying plants at Lowe's

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Polly, your Cycad, Sago Palm looks huge..Is it? Very nice. I can't keep them. They end up in plant heaven.
    Cycads are very interesting..They've been around since the dinosaurs..I believe they're one of the oldest plants known to man. Yours is nicely shaped.

Purple..your Philo looks great..Vivid coloring...Reminds me of autumn. Here anyway, don't know about AL. :)
    I love it..wish mine was as red/orange.

What is your Philo growing on? Looks like a dish rack..no offense meant..:)

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HI Hopeful
    from bottom of dish to top its 16 in. Its probably because I was doing a close up.
    What problem did you have with it? This is the first one for me. I always wanted one. I couldnt resist for a few dollars.

11 years ago

Polly, I don't know those plants, but I think I have a tiny cutting of two of them. Looks like 4 diff plants. Cute!! Maybe needs its' own thread?

Looks like the one "bluish" one has flowers?

The Philo's growing on what used to be a shelf of a little wire cart. My son tore it up and I've used the sides to support larger plants, and my honey bent the shelves into the box shape for these littler plants. Funny, months ago, I said around here somewhere, "what could grow on a 9" trellis?" And eventually answered myself. Ha! This isn't the most attractive setup, but it was free and should serve its' purpose well, to get this vine started climbing.

A regular heart-leaf Philo with one of the sides added to its' pot this weekend.

• elichka
    11 years ago

Polly

Tree looking in the middle is portulacaria afra aka elephant bush, 3 o'clock is Crassula ovata Gollum aka Jade,9 o'clock is Echevaria, bluish ones some kind of Grapto
    All of them need diff. watering so its best to separate them. and sux do not tolerate peat in soil,so its best to repot them in gritty mix. for more accurate info start a new thread on C&S forum
    Good luck

Inna

• Polly381
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purple, OMG its still so green in Al. I'm envious. That Philo is incredible.
    Elichka. thanks for the heads up on the succulent situation. I had a sneakin suspicion that they weren't compatible. I will post it over there for further instruction.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH