Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grimesel

Let me hear your stories and see your pictures!

grimesel
10 years ago

I think part of the reason I enjoy plants so much (only been at it a couple years), is the personality they bring. I love hearing and seeing about thirty year old jades and venerable old dracaenas far more than I like little specimen plants with their complex names (nothing at all wrong with them though I will buy those as well). In fact, sometimes I like seeing a sprawling, scraggly, aged looking plant because so often those are the ones with a good story. So let me hear yours! Show me that plant that has been in the same corner since 1960 or that unkillable cactus passed down from grandma

Comments (20)

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Don't really know if this is the type of story you want to hear but here goes! About 25 years ago I grew a cactus, I don't know the name but it was sold to me as a desert type cactus. It had killer thorns on it too. Every spring I would put it outside and my long haired cat would use it as a brush and each fall I had to vacuum the plant before I brought it inside. Then we had to move and cactus came with me. It grew very well and ended up over 2' tall. I set it on the floor, because it was to tall and heavy for the window sills, and one day DH was talking on the telephone and sat on my cactus! He broke the top but it was still hanging on by a thread so we wrapped it with folded over paper and it healed itself. Unfortunately it succumbed to a fungus a few years later. Marg

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb! Although your plants are new, at least to you, how about a pic of yours? Recently I put pics in this discussion about my oldest plants. You're welcome to read my profile for my back-story.

If it really does frost tomorrow night, I might own a lot less plants. I just can't bring them in that soon.

Marg, that cracked me up, but sorry the cactus isn't still with us. How's hubby's hiney?

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

He now watches where he sits and I have been ordered not to get any more cactus. Marg

• grimesel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg, that was great! Haha my cat causes me all sorts of problems!

Purple- I have been reading the forum a lot. I have actually followed your posts very closely. Love your plants!! That particular was a favorite of mine. I technically have only been growing plants for a couple years, but I still have some pretty old/interesting ones. I have one cactus that was given to me (no idea what it's called. I just call it "ugly cactus"). It was about twenty years old and so root bound that the roots had grown out of the drainage hole and back up the pot. I have some ten year old dracaenas that a lady from my church gave to me! Those poor things needed re potting so bad! My favorite though are the four huge jades I just bought (for like thirty bucks total!) from a local lady. My last jade I didn't have much luck with so let's hope these work out. Their soil seemed to practically be mud (I quickly remedied that) but she has never had issues with them. Go figure. How do I go about posting pictures? I am not great with technology!

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Grimesel....Great Topic.

I too would enjoy seeing your photos.

If I figured out how to download/upload then display pics here on GW, I'm CERTAIN you can. lol.

First, you need to regester with a site to download/upload pics like Photo Bucket or Flickr.
    Are you regestered with either?
    If not, please do so.

After you regester, I'm sure someone will help you work on dl'ing photos from Site A to GW.
    I use Flickr. If I'm online, I'll help..If you use photo Bucket, someone else will need to work w/you, since I've never dl'ed photos there, have no idea how it works.

Marg, wha a funny story. Thorns and sore butts. lol.
    Whichever cactus you had, I'm surprised your cat brushed his fur on the thorns.
    Your poor dh. So, you haven't any cactus or thorny succulents???

Purp, I haven't been here, on GW because I've been bringing plants indoors..like you need to do. :)
    In fact, I started a new thread regarding plants and icy temps.
    Anyway, didn't see the thread you started???? Via the link on this thread.
    If I have time. I'll check it out..Gotta bring more plants in, if possible.

Grim...oldest plants.
    I don't have plants from the 60's..when I lived at home, my mother wouldn't allow plants in the house.

Here's a few of my oldest.

E. Crown of Thorns..started from cutting, 1982/3.

{{gwi:109948}}

Hoya..Purchased at grocery store. Tag read Lipstick Plant.

{{gwi:109949}}

Chlorophytum. The green Spider to the right was purchased in 1973.. RIP as of summer 2011

{{gwi:102173}}

Possibly Pandanus. Brother gave me cutting in 3/1994. Mom plant was his mother-in-laws.

{{gwi:95878}}

I've loved plants since I was a little girl, 4 and up. We'd go to my aunt and uncle's farm in MI.
    Started a veggie garden from seed at 11-years old.
    My parents allowed me to bring in pumkin from veggie garden, but no plants.

Toni

10 years ago

Thanks, Grimesel! Your plants sound awesome! Gift plants are awesome. I love those that have a story to tell too, which most do if they've managed to accumulate some decent age. I try to give some history when I share my plants, in case folks are the story-telling type.

I can also endorse Imageshack for showing pics here. Using the 'browse' button here in the discussion you can add one pic per post. It's not uncommon for someone to post a few times to add a few pics if they don't have a photo hosting account, or just feel lazy that day.

Hey Toni, just about to 'get in' on your frost discussion!

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I only have one cactus now, I bought it because it is an outdoor cactus. No chance he can sit on this one! I think its an opunctia (sp?), it has yellow flowers. Marg
    {{gwi:109950}}

• marquest
    10 years ago

marric, don';t bet on him not sitting on it. I have that cactus outside that grew into a large patch and I was talking on the phone and sat down. Guess where I sat down. Yep. You find out just how much your better half loves you when they have to pick those spines out. lol'

My oldest plant is a Armaryllis I have had it for 30 yrs. My Mom gave it to me and she got it from a elderly lady that had it 40 years. It was in a terracotta pot and the little soil that was still in the pot was so hard I had to use a hammer to break the pot to get the bulbs out of the pot.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

I don't envy your Optunia. lol.

We used to go to the conservatory. One room was a Desert Room. They grew many different cactus and succulents. I became infatuated with Optinias and Agaves.

Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful...when grown in-ground. :)

Depending on type, thorns get so BIG. I can't tell you how many times I got pricked. And bled. So, good luck.

Marquest. OUCH!
    See, Optunias are pains in the butt. lol.

• marquest
    10 years ago

No Toni they are not fun when you sit on them. lol

This is the big pot of armaryllis

{{gwi:109951}}

and a pic of the of the flower
    {{gwi:75034}}

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Are you serious!!!? That plant is over 70 years old??????

I did not think they even ever got that old....You must be doing something right my friend!!! Wow

I wish I was not so tired to post pics but what I can tell you is that my first plant was an orange tree when I was just but 12..My mom bought it for me on my brithday, at least I think
    I was introduced to caring for plants by my older neighbor named Babe and she taught me much...I have never forgot that women and when she passed, she left me a citrus and some other plant I can't remember..

I never thought it would be such an addiction, gorwing citrus trees that is, over 30 of them, but since seeing everyone else's plants here and making new friends, well, the 30 have massed into well over a hundred..
    I would have to say learning to grow plants in good soils, listening to the stories, and being introduced to plants I have never heard of, has enabled me and now here I am..lol
    Toni, you are bad and a few others here...lol

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Are you serious!!!? That plant is over 70 years old??????

I did not think they even ever got that old....You must be doing something right my friend!!! Wow

I wish I was not so tired to post pics but what I can tell you is that my first plant was an orange tree when I was just but 12..My mom bought it for me on my brithday, at least I think
    I was introduced to caring for plants by my older neighbor named Babe and she taught me much...I have never forgot that women and when she passed, she left me a citrus and some other plant I can't remember..

I never thought it would be such an addiction, gorwing citrus trees that is, over 30 of them, but since seeing everyone else's plants here and making new friends, well, the 30 have massed into well over a hundred..
    I would have to say learning to grow plants in good soils, listening to the stories, and being introduced to plants I have never heard of, has enabled me and now here I am..lol
    Toni, you are bad and a few others here...lol

Mike

• christine1950
    10 years ago

What a great topic and such wonderful stories. This is my pothos that started out as 2 small clippings a co-worker gave me at least 30 years ago, it was doing really well until I moved and it was left out in the hot summer sun years ago,it was my fault that I forgot some of my plants that day, since then I've managed to bring her back and give away alot of clippings :>)
    Christine

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Marquest...your Amy flowers are quite unusual.

Maybe you can help me ID my plant.

Some time in the late 90's, I placed an order for garden plants..'well, a few house plants, too.' :)

Anyway, the nursery sends free bulbs with an order. One bag of clover which goes in the trash,..They also sent a bag of tiny, less than an inch bulbs.
    I thought the bad read, mini Amaryllis.

Some time ago, someone ID'd my plant as Crinium. I've never seen Cinium in person..only via Google.
    Now, I don't know if the plant is Amy or Crinium.

Here's a photo...Can you make a positive ID???

{{gwi:109952}}

After being told my plant was Crinium, I wrote Crinium in my photo page..In other pics, I wrote Amaryllis.

Is your Amy 70-yrs-old??? If so, WOW! Especially keeping an Amy alive so long.
    Perhaps your Amy is an original???

The flower is lovely. Orange is one of my fav color flowers.

Hey Mike!! You're just as bad as I. lol.
    I know how many plants you have.....unless you've added more.

Christine, a 30-yr-old Pothos..Long time, looks great.

Grimesel...Where are your photos? :) Toni

10 years ago

Toni, those look like Zephyranthes. The flowers go with the thin leaves?

• marquest
    10 years ago

Toni, Mike, lol......Yes that Army is really, really old. I am sure the old people that passed this down to me were not getting the fancy Armys of today. This one blooms non stop it only rest for a little bit between Sept-Nov.

Toni that looks like a rain lily ( Zephyranthes)
    This is mine....
    {{gwi:109953}}

The proper name might be....
    Zephyranthes 'Beni Tama' (Red Jewel Rain Lily)

• grimesel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Seventy years!?? That is impressive indeed. I think I enjoy my amaryllis leaves almost as much as I enjoy the blooms.

Toni- I just need to sit down and figure this picture thing out :) I Downloaded the photobcket app to my phone to see of maybe I can do the entire process via mobile.

Btw pretty pothos Christine! Such a fun and versatile plant. I burnt mine slightly this summer but it has bounced back excellently! I love how I can grow clippings straight in water. It's very nice looking in a vase with a fish.

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

This scabby old 4m Ficus Amstel King has been in my greenhouse for a good eight years.

We used to hire it out to a certain company once a year but they haven't had it for a long time. It's full of mealy bug and needs frequent watering as it's so pot bound, so there's no commercial reason to keep it, but I'll never get rid of it.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

Purple & Marquest. Okay, a third plant to consider.. ")

Btw, I've never heard of Zephyranthes. Heck, can't even pronounce it. lol.

Okay, just Googled, and by gosh, I think you're right.
    Purp, yes, the plant has thin, strap-like leaves.

Gotta check Zeph's care now, and change the name on my photo pages.

Thank you gals...

Marquest, your Amy is definately an original..before culivars came about???
    You can tell its old by the flower. Different than any around today.

Same applies to ancient Christmas Cactus..Ever seen the flowers?

Grimes..Many here on GW use PB. My pics are on Flickr, so I can't help, but I'm certain someone will explain how to download so you can post pics....especially since you started this thread. lol.

SJ...WOW, now thats some tree AND green house!!!
    Wish mine was as large as yours. My dinky 8x12 looks like a closet compared to yours. lol.

Filled w/mealy..How terrible!!!

I'm against chemical insecticides, but if you want to rid those awful pests, perhaps you should use systemic Bayer.
    Many swear it kills mealy and other insects.
    Your Ficus is too beautiful to have mealy.
    When did you notice mealybug?

Are you not worried your other plants, 'which are gorgeous,' will catch mealy?
    I've tossed a good number of plans when I couldn't rid mealy..I didn't use Bayer or any other chemicals... Sprayed and wiped with Rubbing Alcohol, but it didn't work.

Love your palms..WOW! Impressive. Toni

• stewartsjon
    10 years ago

Most of the plants aren't there very long - and the mealy stays up top minding its own business.

:-D