Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atown_gw

Online sources for house plants?

atown
12 years ago

Anyone have sources online that they have ordered from and received healthy plants? I have about everything the local plant store has to offer, and I have plant fever! Thanks for any input!

Amy

Comments (16)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

I shop at several online nurseries. Is there any special types of plants you'd like?

Accents for Home and Garden

Almost Eden Plants

Shoal Creek Succulents

Thistledown, though it's closed until spring

JadePoint

Victoria-Dove

Absolutely Cactus

Ebay. You can find almost any plant on Ebay.

Some nurseries might be closed or about to..Also, even though there are thousands, plus, of plants on Ebay, I notice more sellers are shipping seeds, but you can still find many-a-plant/s. Toni

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I've actually visited Glasshouse Works a couple times and met the owners. These guys eat/sleep/breathe plants and have some very unusual ones.

• usha_srinivasan
    12 years ago

Where is Glasshouse Works retail located ?
    I only found a PO box for shipping address on their website.

I live in Michigan so a visit to Ohio may just be what
    I need.

Usha

12 years ago

They're in Stewart, OH, near Athens. The address is on the website; Church St. There are signs and not much else there, you can't miss it. About as far away from you as possible while still being in OH, though. I would call first and go when it's warmer, preferably on my way to some beach if I've already drove that far :)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Forgot about Glasshouse Works...They have nice plants, too.

Hey Purple, have you been there? If so, how was it? Toni

12 years ago

When I visited, it was about 10 yrs ago and it's, um, a quite unique experience. There are mazes of greenhouses, added as the business grew, slammed full of plants on different levels, hanging from the ceilings, dropped pieces rooting on the ground, flats of cuttings, overwhelming! Outside are test plots, nursery beds, tons of whimsical artwork and geegaws, vines... Imagine what would happen if you had a decent size property and had all the time in the world to "play" with plants - what would it look like after a decade or so? Given their remote location, visitors are rare, and we were greeted by one of the owners and given a tour, a lot of info and advice, invited to browse until we got sick of it, then bought some really cool plants and a couple books. That's why I said to call first, it's not the type of store where people are coming in and out all the time. It would be a bummer if they were at the grocery store or on vacation. This is truly a home-based business by a couple guys who just love plants and, I think, sell them to support their habit.

• atown
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome! Thanks everyone!

• usha_srinivasan
    12 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful place to visit !
    I just checked, it is a 5 hr drive from where I live
    so I might have to wait a while but I will definitely call before I drive down. Thanks for the info.

Usha

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Purple, sounds great. Cuttings on the floor!! I do not consider cleaning felled plants, stealing. lol.

Are their plants in order? Or here and there?
    It was nice they took you on a tour. I'd need a cart. lol
    Are price tags on the plants?

Out of all the family owned nurseries here, only one is around..Opened year round...sounds like GHW's set up.
    Numerous gh's. Three large, connected gh's hold succulents and tropicals.
    Outdoors, there's gh after gh, but they're dedicated to annuals/perrenials, etc. These gh's are closed during winter months.

I like visiting during winter..never know what you'll find. One time, they had an extremely underpotted Philo 'congo' for 4.00. They were huge. Of course, the Philo jumped in my cart. lol. Roots were 2' long, growing from drainage holes.

Oh, they also have a very rare Pony Tail Palm. He received this plant in the 30's. I asked what it cost..he jokingly said, you'd have to take a second mortgage. lol.
    Many nursery-people wanted this tree. They offered him large $$, but he couldn't part with it.
    Here's the thing. Four tiny off-shoots were growing beside mom. I asked if he'd consider selling a baby. His reply was, in all the years he and others worked w/this plant, the babies never rooted.
    Still, I'd have paid 10,00 for a tiny baby.
    Last time we visited, the Ponytail was stacked among numerous, tall tropicals. Bunched together. The bulb is larger than a bowling ball, the pot way too small. The medium looked like concrete. I still want a baby, lol.

Atown..Sorry, didn't mean to rant..lol. Keep us posted if/when you decide to purchase a plant from an online nursery. There are so many to choose from. BTW, if you find a nursery other than one Purple and I mentioned, please check gardenwatchdog prior to ordering. Read feedback on the nursery. Most nurseries are legit, but some are NOT. Toni

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    12 years ago

Bob Smoley's Gardenworld, Mountain Crest Gardens, Simply Succulents, Hirts Gardens, Arid Lands Greenhouse; I have ordered from all these and have been treated wonderfully. Never had a problem so I don't know how they would react? But my greatest deals and most beautiful plants came from local grocery stores and big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot). I bought a variegated Jade on clearance for 50 cents. A pot full of 'prayer plants' in a brass looking urn for 75 cents on clearance. Good Luck hunting. (that's were the fun is). Stush

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

Glass House works has a wonderful web site. Never visited, but it's on my to do list.

is Jade Point having website issues? I keep getting error messages when I click on the pages.

12 years ago

Hey, Toni...
    Are their plants in order? Or here and there?
    There was probably an order but just not apparent to a mere mortal such as myself.

It was nice they took you on a tour. I thought so, too!!

I'd need a cart. Are price tags on the plants? I ended up with a box! No prices that I remember, but this was a decade ago. I doubt things are much more clearly organized for visitors, but you never know. It felt like going on safari. I'd love to go back!

• dellis326 (Danny)
    12 years ago

Hi Toni
    If you don't mind my asking, What greenhouse/nursery are you referring to?

I've bought many plants from ebay sellers and have not had issues. Just stay away from sellers that "oversell" their plants and also if you're buying a grown plant rather than seeds, that the seller post an image of the actual plant and not just a stock photo of the species. Check out where they are located too because that can cause a whole new set of issues.

I have bought one plant from Logees a couple of year ago, expensive but it arrived in fine shape and I still have it.

Black Jungle, I've also gotten some nice stuff from them in the past.

Sarracenia Northwest for carnivores.

California Carnivores

Meadowview Biological Research Station, This is a non-profit, When I kept carnivorous plants this was usually my first place to look for something. They also sell non-carnivores.

Danny

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Purple, too funny.

Don't want to mention names, but a friend once drove far south to visit nurseries she ordinarily ordered online.
    Three nurseries were like you described. Here, there and everywhere. lol.
    One had pests galore. Mealy, of all insects yet!!!

Danny, Ted's in Tinley Park..have you ever been there???? Ohhh, you'd love it!!!
    So many varieties...too many to name.

Ever heard of Sid's? Well, after 'X' years, they're going or have gone out of business. I thought about visiting when/if plants/pots went on sale, but decided to pass.

But, Ted's is the one nursery we have left, and worth the drive. Toni

12 years ago

Yeah, sometimes a look behind the scenery is scary. But, FWIW, they were very concerned about pests at Glasshouse Works and refused to sell one plant I wanted because they said it was not as healthy as it should be and was in quarantine (not a shrine, like I thought.) They said didn't sell plants that aren't up to their health standards. Please don't ask, my mind has blocked the part of that painful memory in regard to "what plant?" LOL!

• paul_
    12 years ago

And for nice orchids try OakHill Gardens.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz