Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emerald1951

tell me what you think....

emerald1951
12 years ago

Hi all,

I planted my orchids in enamel strainers today...I thought it would be kinda cute since they sit in a kitchen window...

what do you think...here are a few pictures...linda

{{gwi:109972}}

{{gwi:109973}}

Comments (16)

• Pat z6 MI
    12 years ago

WHAT A GREAT IDEA, LINDA!!!!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Yep, great idea!

Josh

• gravyboots
    12 years ago

That treatment would be good-looking with cacti & succulents too Linda, especially Hens-n-Chicks - great idea :)

GB

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

I like the idea of themed cache pots too. I have a Begonia bowerae in an old metal jelly mould, a Schefflera in a giant tea cup and a mini Saintpaulia in a little coffee cup in my kitchen. But I think you need to be careful not to cross the line into naffness.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Yes, and hello Linda!

I love your idea ! Conversation pieces for sure. I have never seen those before or know of any store that sells them.

Mike

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I think it's an awesome use of this otherwise very awkward piece of kitchen equipment. They're ceramic over metal, right? Mine would get too hot to touch when straining pasta, but I'm wishing I hadn't sold it in a garage sale after seeing your pics. And I feel like "Duh - why didn't I think of that?!"

Flora, thanks for the new word. I had to look it up and hope I remember it. Using unusual words makes for interesting conversation!

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi...
    hey Mike...you can find them in most kitchen type stores...
    but I look at thrift stores and garage sales...theses were a $1 each....
    flora...I use tea pots for violets, and then water down the spout, (still watering from the bottom) works...
    a friend of mine told me once when we were shopping, that every thing I look at I see a flower pot...lol
    everything has multiple uses...right...lol....have a great day all..........linda

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

Great idea. I can tell you had your 'thinking cap' on. ;-)

Non-container containers:
    {{gwi:3239}}
    {{gwi:12149}}

Mini loaf pans with holes drilled in bottom (Kalanchoe cuttings)
    {{gwi:24327}}
    {{gwi:11830}}

A mini salter
    {{gwi:2012}}
    Don't know if the next two count or not:
    {{gwi:2010}}
    {{gwi:3271}}
    {{gwi:109975}}
    {{gwi:3231}}

A rusty tin can & Rose, an Echiveria
    {{gwi:109976}}

Al

• emerald1951
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi and thank you all for looking and the nice comments...linda

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Al!

Not only do I LOVE the non containers, but there are two plants that mean so much to me.
    Rose and you know the other. I can see it clearly! Oh it looks so nice and it makes me happy.

Thank you too for a few ideas along with Linda. I would love to know what that brown pot is the mini pine tree is in? It is beautiful.

Thank you again Linda. Great thread and great ideas. Now, everything I see will be a possible candidate for a pot.lol

Mike

12 years ago

Mike - thanks for my being able to always count on you for a kind word. I'm sure you're referring to the variegated jade you sent me. As you know, it was involved in an accident not long ago. I was in Chi. for the weekend & my wife was trying to help me out by cutting the grass. When she tried to move the white wood cart you see in the picture with your jade, it was a little front-heavy and tipped over forward. Everything crashed to the ground - a number of pots were broken and a few plants damaged beyond repair. In fact, the little pot with a handle (my first picture) was also broken :-(, and your jade was damaged by way of a broken stem. You'll be pleased to know I did make lemonade from the lemons though, and rooted the broken stem before sending it along to another grower who had asked for cuttings I'd offered in another thread somewhere.

The juniper is in a container that was hand-made for that tree from a mix of native clay & potter's clay & then fired. It and the juniper please the eye so much because together they form very close to a perfect circle.

Linda - if I was lucky enough to find colanders like that, I'd snap up a few in a heartbeat & make succulent dish gardens to give as gifts.

Are these 'old', or recently acquired through a purchase from a commercial entity? If recently acquired would you share from where?

BTW - I admired your idea as soon as I saw it, but the more I look at it, the better I like it! I think creativity in any area relating to plants is something of a indicator that you either have or have the potential to have a relationship with plants that is on a plane somewhere above what would be considered the norm. I don't think that everyone looks at plants in the same way, and for some reason I am ingrained with the feeling that making a planting appear unique, somehow assigns a personality to the plant/planting, which in turn enhances our interaction with them. .... just me musing.

Al

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Lovely thread, nice pix everyone, charming plantings Linda.

Al, what pls. is the plant in the small white planter w/ painted green & blue flowers on it? The plant is variegated, is that an Impatience? Just curious, I wonder every time you show this pic.

12 years ago

It's a pilea (Pilea microphylla 'Variegata' - commonly a variegated artillery plant). I picked up a cutting (asked for it) from the sales table because a customer bought the last one from under my nose this spring. Took it home & stuck it in the gritty mix in the pot you saw in the pic, and snapped the picture in early August. If you look at the white wood cart in the picture below it, you'll see it in June as a much smaller plant.

Al

• FshyPlnts
    12 years ago

That is a wonderful idea. Really good thinking. Where did you pick those colanders up? Also, Talpa, I love the acorn cap idea! Thats really cool looking, great idea for micro-arrangements. Another cute idea I have seen is egg shells.

Here is a link that might be useful: Envi Sci and Fishy Plants

• countcoco
    12 years ago

Those tea strainers are awesome! Not only do they look good, they're probably easier to move since they have handles.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Linda, how cute..It's adorable and practical. It even has drainage holes..

Fishy, is it your Orchid? It could be too little or too mucch water. Toni

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County