Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue passion plant poison to cats?

Posted by urmymom (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 4, 11 at 21:39

I just brought this inside. One cat was caught munching on it. I can't find if it poisonous to cats. Please help I need to know if I should keep it or not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue passion plant poison to cats?

Do you mean Passiflora, passion vine?

o

The tag says. Flowering floracion passion flower blue passiflora caerulea now that is a finger full of typing. Lmao. I looked up all names and can't find if it's poisonous to cats if munched on. It not on yes list or no list. Thanks

o

Well, the leaves contain cyanogenic glycoside, which breaks down into cyanide. I'm not sure how much a cat would have to eat to get poisoned but it would be best to keep cats away from your plant.

o

partial quote from a search I did that found several sites including one called www/passiflora.co.uk (or something like that)

"Nevertheless assume that all fresh Passiflora foliage is toxic."

Sounds like maybe you should put it up high, out of the cat's reach or get rid of it.

Toxic is relative in this context, don't know if they mean a bad stomach ache or more, so if it were mine, I wouldn't chance it.

o

When in doubt, throw it out. ;-)

o

Ughhhh. Thank you!!! Not what I wanted to hear :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here