Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potatoes of sweet potato vine

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 21:41

Pulled these out of the pot on front steps to change up to pansies and snaps. Buried these spuds in the veggie patch. The one on the left is new from cutting this year, the big one was there since spring of '11, as a cutting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potatoes of sweet potato vine

Cool, tho of course theyre not related to true potatoes (solanums)
How do they taste?

o

They're delicious! We ate some last year. I couldn't tell any difference between these and the ones you buy at the store. There's so many things I want to do with this plant next year, so I replanted these instead of cooking them.

o

Found on net:

Botanically known as Ipomoea batatas, the sweet potato is a member of the morning glory family, Convolvulaceae and is closely related to the morning glory vine (I. purpurea) and the leafy vegetable, kangkong (I. aquatica). It is not related to the true potato, which is a member of the tomato family, Solanaceae.

There are ornamental sweet potato varieties grown exclusively for their decorative foliage. These ornamental varieties may also produce edible underground tubers but they are usually less prolific and tubers are usually smaller and not as palatable as those that have been bred and grown exclusively for their tuber.

I would wonder about any possible pesticide used by the greenhouse growers.
They can be used to start new plants, they root easily.
Never tasted them...Rina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here