Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myplantisme

Please someone help me save my Mandevilla!

Myplantisme
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am in no way an experienced "home plant keeper". I have a dying Mandevilla that is really important to me, and to helplessly see it dying day by day is really making me so sad and desperate. Maybe some context:
It really all started in a rather strange way three weeks ago. I've been pretty devastated these past few months because my relationship ended. Three weeks ago I went for a run in Old Montreal to try and let out my feelings in an active way, and on my way home I noticed someone had left a potted Mandevilla with beautiful white flowers on the side of the road next to the garbage. It had a few yellow/browned leaves, but other than that looked very healthy. At that moment, I identified myself as the plant (I know, this sounds really silly) because I felt thrown away as well...Anyway, I decided to carry it home with me and I promised myself that I would nurture it back to prime condition, just as I hoped that I would be able remove the dead leaves left in my heart from my break up and find a way to thrive again.

But for the past week or so, the plant has started lose its form, no flowers are left on the plant, and its leaves are falling at a scary rate. When I first noticed the leaves start to shrivel I immediately looked on the internet for some help. I found that leaves could start to shrivel and crisp because of over exposure to sun, so I slanted the shades. I also put drainage holes in the bottom of the pot and suspended it so that there would be no standing water, and I bought fertilizer. There are no pests on it that I can see. I've misted it because it is quite dry here in Montreal. I've removed dead branches and pruned it down. I've done all that I can think of doing, and yet it continues to die! I don't know what to do anymore, but I am desperate to save this Mandevilla, not only because it is so symbollic to me but also because I feel terrible having something die under my care. Right now I am very scared that it's already too late, but I want to believe that it isn't.

So please if any of you have any suggestions for me, please do write! I cannot express how thankful I would be for any help.

-Anna

Comments (4)