Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justin24_gw

Pachira Aquatica (Money tree)

Justin24
12 years ago

Hello. I have a money tree in a pot about 5 inches in diameter. I actually received this plant from a friend of mine who knows next to nothing about gardening of any kind. She told me what was going on with her plant and I was fairly sure I could help, but now that I have the plant, I'm not so sure. It has just one "trunk" and its knotted, instead of several small ones braided. I know that the problem is the type of soil, the type of pot, and the amount of watering. The soil is moisture control, the pot has no drainage (just a catch rim at the bottom, no holes at all) and she watered it every day! There is no root rot, that I can tell, but the trunk is wrinkled and very soft. I'm not sure what else to say about the actual plant. I'm scared to replant it while its so sickly, I've just cut its watering down a bit (once a week) and making sure its got plenty of indirect sunlight. Its the middle of October right now, and the temperatures are around 80 on average so I'm not very optimistic that the little guy will make it through winter. At this point I suspect a fungus. Any tips on this, or should I break the bad news the my friend? Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)