Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unrelated question...gourds...

Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 21:51

I am sorry for asking this here, but you are all so knowledgable and I trust most of your opinions, I had to ask you. Do you know the best way to dry gourds? Went to a pumpkin patch with the kids today and we picked pumpkins and there were gourds everywhere. My MIL said you can dry them but she had no idea how. I have about 15 of them and they are so cool and pretty I would LOVE to dry them and keep them for years to come.

Can anyone help? Thanks and I am sorry again for posting this here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unrelated question...gourds...

Attached is a link to some good information. There is also a Vegetable Forum and even a Pumpkin, Squash, and Gourd Forum!

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for information

o

Hi TIff
give a post back on how it turns out, I always wanted to try drying gourds and make bird houses out of them. They are also nice just in a bowl.

o

Hint for tiff.....sometimes, you don't have to DO anything! Just step back and watch.

o

• Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 14:20

Rhizo..Actually from the research I have done so far...doing nothing is the last thing I want to do. Apparently you need to put them outside as the smell that comes off them as they are drying out is rancid and takes forever to get the smell out of the house also. And they typically grow mold on them when they dry out. I dont want that in my house.

More research to follow Polly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here