11 years ago

Heart leaf Philo.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tradescantia zebrina and NOID Callisia.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

would this be classified as a terrarium? I always admired them but I never made one. They look so pretty when they get established.
    Great start, its looking good

Original Author
    11 years ago

A terrarium is enclosed or partially enclosed air, to maintain high humidity. These plants are under water. It's not mine but now that I've seen it, I want to play too!

You're right about the establishment, they're growing roots in mid-air mid-water.

I was told they've been like that for about a week. We're all curious to see what happens. Guess they got bored when the last fish died.

• summersunlight
    11 years ago

I've heard that Pothos won't live forever if it's completely submerged, but I've had pothos growing in my aquarium filters for a few years now. I figured the plant can benefit from some of the nutrients in the fish waste and the fish will benefit from whatever the plant can filter out of their water for them.

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Lol, sideways, must be the wine, love it!

• sherryinmaine
    11 years ago

I have grown a large peace lily in a 55gal aquarium when I kept fish. It did ok and actually flourished because the based & roots were under water, but the leaves were above it and got sunshine and aquarium lighting. Everynow and then, I would remove any small yellowing leaves. The fish ate it too, dont think they ate alot, but I could tell if the fibrous part of the plant had been nibbled on. No fish ever died, anyway. I did that to other plants as well, like you said a small philo and pothos, and couple of other kinds that are from boggy areas, cant recall right now what they were . . . .
    Nowadays, I take my miniature begonias and a couple of other plants that like similar stuff & overwinter them in an empty 55 gal aquarium w/ full spectrum lights. I almost dont have to do anything to them & they will still bloom over winter (some of the begonias anyway, not all) but they all seem to thrive. Dont have enough windows space to put them all around the house.
    I keep saying I will make it look 'purty' when I get a chance- collected some little knick knacs at thrift stores etc, but still havent done it. Really, aside from putting taller ones in back and shorter ones in front, I dont have an idea how to make it a focal point. Will figure it out eventually.

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Oh very cool, I never seen it done like that.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I have Epipremnum amplissimum growing in a pond. It has one runner out and up on a tree stump. Another runner is crossing the pond but hasn't reached the other side yet. It's getting caught up in water weed and is mostly underwater. The main part of the plant just sits in water.

Original Author
    11 years ago

This looks like much more fun than an empty aquarium sitting in a shed, which I happen to have... and these same plants...

I've never seen anything like this before either and was so blown away, I didn't ask the questions it inspired. I need to go back soon to return some borrowed music CD's. Will update...

• grabmebymyhandle
    11 years ago

Fun! I like the philo :D

I cant imagine the wandering jew lasting much longer, it looks like some leaves are already browning out.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple, does it have a hood w/lighting?

Sherry, you're lucky your fish didn't do much nibbling. When we had Oscars and Jack Dempseys, they'd eat any and every green buried under gravel. The Oscars would swoop down at the plants..lol...it was so funny.
    We gave up real plants, went w/plastic.

I kept one 10-gallon, filled w/soil. A few plants grow deep in the soil..some small pots are placed on top.

I tried sowing palm seeds...didn't work..however, I tossed a seed or two inside the aquairum..a baby palm sprouted. Think it's a Bottle Palm..

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hithere, grabme. I was wondering why that Tradescantia is brownish like that too. The mama plant on these folks' front porch (from which they took the cutting for the aquarium) looks the same way. Almost like sunburn but I know it's not, on the N side of the house, under an overhang.

Toni, yes, it has the little fluorescent bulb for fish. Wish I had posted the first pic in the right direction.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Amazing.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I really do want to try this.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Just make sure that you have an aerifier of some kind in there with the plants. A good full spectrum light is important...which is what the fish would have over them. If you're going to put fish in with the plants, be sure to research which ones aren't going to devour the plants. I did that once! (Put the fish in with the plants without the research, I mean.)

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Howdy,

Purple, very nice..I too was going to ask if fish nibbled plants.

Purple, in the last pic, what is the black and silver? object? Is it a cat fish, plant or stone? lol..
    Reminds of an eel we once had.

Every so often we stop at PetsMart, end up looking at aquariums and plants sold for tanks.
    I was surprised seeing greens we grow as house plants placed w/fish or sold separately..One deep red D. marginata, D. Sanderiana and several others..

Large fish can be destructive..eg. Jack Dempseys, Oscars, but small-mid-sized fish can nibble.

Do you have an aquarium now or thinking about buying one?

Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess there's enough oxygen in this water for these. This is blowing me away. And it looks like the Trad's leaves are healing from whatever was making them brown. Could be just the angle, though, I couldn't even decide standing there in person. A few more weeks will tell.

Thanks for the suggestions. Might be a good application for a beta fish. Never been that into fish but those are pretty, not $$$.

I have an aquarium and 2 air pumps, bubble stone thing, no light though. Will see how $$ that is to add. Might just decide to be satisfied watching somebody else's.

Toni, that's a rock. It would be cool to have a critter that looked like that.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Starting to think this isn't going to go much longer.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Of the 4 plants, Pothos looks the best still, followed by Philo.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Tradescantia zebrina doesn't look healthy still, and the NOID Callisia looks like it will be dead soon also. I wonder if some algae-eating fish would help? It's been interesting to watch this progress at my friend's house...

• jodik_gw
    11 years ago

Years ago, when my kids had an aquarium with a few fish, I'd throw Pothos cuttings in and the fish would use them for hiding places, while the plant pieces rooted, surviving nicely in the water. Some of the other plant types I haven't tried as aquarium plants, but I have rooted them in vases of water.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

From what I've read many of the cuttings of otherwise land born plants can last for quite a while before invariably rotting on you. some are slower to go than others. In my personal experience I can say that creeping jenny hangs in there like a champ and the visual effect is striking. buttery yellow green against river pebbles is amazing. Guppies would play hide n seek all day in the stuff. :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

Here's the right side up version for you. :)

{{gwi:110055}}

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! You've got the pic thing DOWN now. Nice job! Nice to have the original next to the latest pic too. That's obviously not enough light for T. zeb. to maintain its' pretty red/purple color.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    11 years ago

Well all I really did was copy your pic to my machine and made the adjustment. Then I moved it on over to photobucket and presto right back at ya! lol :)

Seriously though I can't say enough about how well the creeping jenny does in and under water. By the way this image was yoinked off the net in case you get the impression that my photo skills have improved(they haven't) lol
    {{gwi:110059}}