Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needinfo001

How many houseplants do you have?

needinfo001
9 years ago

Im getting addicted! I cant seem to go a week without getting a new one.
This is a recent obsession. I think i have about 15 that i acquired in the last 2 months.

Comments (34)

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

Well, some questions are better left unanswered, HaHa. That way, I can still live in a state of denial about having a problem, lmao. It's not my fault that plants seem to follow me home from garden centers. Word gets out that we have a greenthumb, and somehow our collections seem to mysteriously grow in size. Weird... :/

Off the top of my head, my best guesstimate would be just under sixty plants. Some large, some small, and any size in between. It could be more, it could be less. But like I mentioned earlier, some questions are better left unanswered.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Been a while since I bothered counting them.

Instead I just decided to break it down with pics.

Here's one from out in the front room...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Here's the back corner of my bedroom...

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Annnnnd here's the other side of the bedroom...

• Photo Synthesis
    9 years ago

If I look real closely and squint my eyes just right, I think that I can see bits and pieces of your actual bedroom showing thru the vast jungle, HaHa!
    & here I thought my bedroom looked like one... :P

Way to grow! :D

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Thank ya kindly!

Got any pics you'd like to share?

Everybody likes pics. :D

• dellis326 (Danny)
    9 years ago

About 60ish,

I'm moving next year and want to thin the herd a bit so I've given a couple of dozen plants away during the last year now and haven't bought many new ones but I have added a few rescues in that same time.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I've been repotting and consolidating plants into community pots this past week, so down a few pots. I try to keep it to under 100 pots so it's not too crazy when they need to come inside for winter, but there are about 300 kinds of plants in the pots. Here's some of them in the back yard, which is kind of a construction zone...

• christine1950
    9 years ago

House plants are like chocolate, you cant have just one LOL
    This is one side of my living room. I must have over 50.....
    Tiffany if you look close you'll spot some of yours!!!

• elkay_gw
    9 years ago

I have 110 - not counting cuttings in water. That's down from 120. Threw out 2 sans because of mealies and gave some away.

• paul_
    9 years ago

Far more than any semi-intelligent apt dwelling person should have. I quite counting years ago when I passed the 100 mark.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Wow, I'm glad I'm not alone!!! I just read a book that vacillated between admonishing and reasoning with the reader to only have a few plants you really love AND do well. It made me feel bad. I'm becoming the crazy plant lady. But my husband just built me a nice plant stand this weekend, I was sooooo happy!!!! I have plants hanging from the ceiling, on a makeshift plant stand that is actually a TV cart, might keep it that way as I like the wheels so I can just spin the cart for a lazy turn. I do turn each pot a little once in a while so they don't get too lopsided. I have some big aloe barbadens on the floor. Hanging, I have some ivy, streptocarpella, rhipsalis, and Christmas cactus, and a counter in the kitchen is covered with plants and starts. I began trading this summer, and I got a lot of new starts! My favorite being the ricrac cactus, wait no, the Rosary vine, or maybe . . . :-) lol I love plants!!!

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Your lucky queen It's a forbidden sin to even try to grow anything in my kitchen (To hot, to dry, to fast, to often) if I could sin I'd add anouther fifty.

• hacking_eden
    9 years ago

I'm back up to about 100 after the last move and holding steady until I can afford more grow lights. Back in high school when I had plenty of windows it was well over 400. I've been in basement apartments since then.

• MsGreenFinger GW
    9 years ago

Better not to count them (somewhere around 50).
    How funny we put our plants in the window so they get the best sun and we sit in a dark room :D
    This is my current arrangement for about half my plants. It is changing every day because I moved in 2 weeks ago and still haven't found the best spot for all of them.
    Haven't bought new plant for ..... a week :) Only beacuse I had no time for shopping and there are some that came with the apartment and need repotting asap.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Jade room - well, not really a room, just a shelve.

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Succulent (most of them) shelves:

Rina

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Still in the breezeway waiting for a space to be found inside...Rina

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

3, and they are fake. Go ahead and BOO!!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

A 'mixed' shelve...and there is more but I think I should stop now.
    Rina

• violetwest
    9 years ago
    1. Surprisingly little light in my house.
  • grrr4200
    9 years ago

Last time I counted 156

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Twelve; sixteen if you want to count two rooted ZZ Plant cuttings (yet to produce growth after developing roots) and two 'African Violets' vacationing at Mom's.

What, you were expecting more? ;)

Planto

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Some need it to be a little cooler a little lonnger for the late fall/winter coloring that last as long as three weeks inside. Some are in already but I'm bit hessitant to bring the remaning 438 potted plants that spend time out sider
    185 cuttings and seedings pot are doing well in rooting pots 53 others get a window view at times but never go outside.

• Christy Bell
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh - I wouldn't make it having to manage and water all those plants. This year is my largest ever - 7! I'm stressed about bring my ferns in (5) for the winter as I will have to put them in another room with more light and I might forget about them!

• marguerite_gw Zone 9a
    9 years ago

Planto, I am actually surprised, but pleased too. It shows you can absolutely love plants without having to own every one. I long ago came to that conclusion, and have around 30, and that is all I can cope with.

• plantomaniac08
    9 years ago

Marguerite,
    I think the people at the BBS around here would be surprised at the number in my collection too. I think they call me the "Crazy Plant Lady" (I know one of the cashiers does, but the other ones recognize me when I come into the Garden Center).

I agree with you though (that is also my sentiment). I think plants are like friends. It's better to have ones that you really enjoy and "perform" well, no matter how small that number may be, than to have a ton and find yourself stressed out due to the mass number of plants and the fussiness some can bring. I'd love to have more, I have a "list" going in my head, but right now space is limited. Even then, there's only maybe four or five that I can think of that I'd really love to have.

Planto

• kim1313
    9 years ago

I just brought all my plants in for the winter. Counted 56. My problem is I have the worst windows for light and most of my plants are good sized. I took my kitchen table out and made a large plant stand for a couple of work tables. The attached pics do not include my larger plants I have in my bedroom and my family room.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

nomen_numdum - at first, I thought you meant it wasn't allowed to put plants there, like you were forbidden. The only reason I can put plants in the kitchen is that it is fairly open, opening to the eating area, which has 2 windows and a large sliding glass door, mostly western facing, three hooks were in the ceiling when we moved in - that's how I knew the house was perfect, lol! I had left behind a house that I had just convinced my husband to put up 3 hooks for my plants! When we listed the place, I ran out to buy 2 nice ivy plants for the hooks, instead of my lopsided, toddler-attacked plants in mis-matched pots. It looked very nice, and I took the ivy with me, 2 survived. So the kitchen is really the only place for plants, and I'm always in the kitchen, so I see them, they make me happy, I never forget to water, etc. etc. I'll have to count how many individual plants I have and report back. I know I don't need them ALL, I can admire some from a distance, but I have been amassing plants at an alarming rate! Which is a good thing, I think.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Oops, should have read that post before I submitted it. I ran out and bought 3 ivy plants, from Exotic Angel - 2 "Gold Dust" and 1 "Pot of Gold", and I have one of each now. I just counted how many species I have, and it is 26! I think two starts I just got in a trade are dead, though; not sure, so I counted them. They're not dead until they're dried, desiccated sticks, then I admit defeat and compost them! I was looking at my zebra plant, and I noticed that it's BLOOMING!!!! Yay!! I'll post pics.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Nice, huh? Now look at the rest of the plant:

Is this normal for a Zebra Plant? Is it supposed to look like a tree? I didn't think it was supposed to when I bought it. I dislike seeing spindly, curling trunked palm trees straining for the sun, and I wanted to avoid a plant like that. It kept loosing its leaves as it grew up - I'd hoped for a lush, full plant, so it has been disappointing for the past 2 years. When I bought it, it was in full bloom, full of leaves. It slowly became a tree, and didn't bloom for two years. Now it's blooming again, so that's a success. Can I pinch it back to make it branch out, or will that kill it? Who else grows Zebra Plant?

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

Well, now I don't feel so bad! Lol. I have quite a few though I don't have a count (I'm thinking it may be better if I don't lol) we are staying with a friend while we close on our new house, so space is limited and so is light :(
    I gave QUITE A FEW away. :( atleast I know they're in good hands. But I do have good news, our new house has one WHOLE room SURROUNDED by floor to ceiling windows that's where the plants will be spending winter. Then outside we have an even BIGGER deck than we did at our old house. So I can't wait till we move......but you know what happens when you get more space........lol.....MIRE PLANTS!! I'm sure some will be FOLLOWING me home again once we move! Good to see everyone's pics! Beautiful plants everyone!! :)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    9 years ago

I though *I* had too many! LOL! Some of you beat me easily! I don't feel so "insane" now! Living room picture west window is full (3 stands full), spare bedroom west window full. Couple on the back of the toilet bowl tank! South facing kitchen window will be full shortly.

• micke
    9 years ago

When I stopped living here on GW about 6 years ago I had 250. Now I have learned I dont HAVE to have 5 pots of the same thing.. when they out grow their pots I split em and instead of saving two pots of it I find someone that wants one. I have 45 now.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths