Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asarumgreenpanda

Brief introduction

Hi, everyone --

I'm a long-time member of Garden Wed, but I haven't posted on the houseplants forum, I don't think. I don't know why -- I grow many, many houseplants and take great pleasure in them. I live in a very urban area with cold, dreary winters. Most of my living space is taken up by fall- and winter-flowering houseplants. They make such a difference! Fall is definitely here, and I'm really enjoying the indoor plants, these days -- and I've been enjoying reading the posts, here, so I thought I'd say hello and thank you. I'm sort-of an on-again, off-again poster because I have a crazy job, but I hope to be here on a fairly regular basis.

Thanks to all who post and make this a great forum!

Amanda

I love to see photos of people's plants. Here are a few of mine. (Excuse the cell phone pic., please):
{{gwi:110122}}From October 9, 2011

Comments (18)

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

I LOVE that middle plant in your photo. What is it? I've included some pics of my plants since you said you liked to see other peoples plants :)

{{gwi:105485}}

{{gwi:110124}}

{{gwi:110126}}

{{gwi:105486}}

{{gwi:103620}}

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Hi. Welcome to gardenweb. I am also in love with that plant from your pic, how pretty!

Spider with persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus) foliage at the bottom:
    {{gwi:110132}}

Tradescantias, coleus, Callisias:
    {{gwi:110134}}

Same pot closer:
    {{gwi:11831}}

Some type of palm, parlor palm I think.:
    {{gwi:80921}}

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the photos, moosetrackz and purpleinopp. I appreciate the foliage combinations you each have as much as the individual plants, themselves. (I'm a co-potter, too. I think about foliage combinations a lot.)

Is the plant you like this one? {{gwi:110138}}From October 10, 2011

That's an anthurium. It came from Black Jungle maybe 5-6 years ago, and has proven to be very tolerant of the dry, chilly winter air around here. It's a primary hybrid, but, I'm sorry to say, I'm temporarily blanking on the parent species. It arrived here in a 2" pot and has grown nicely -- my handspan is 8", for size comparison.

Amanda

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

I was talking about the sort of variegated viney one to the right of that one. That anthurium is a beauty though!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah. That's a getting-towards-mature-foliage Scindapsus pictus.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

LOLOL, purple...when I first looked at your pictures, I thought you had placed a tree stump in the one of the photos. I love Danes! The Persian Shield is a nice color, isn't it?

Amanda, your plants are lovely. Many of us in this forum always comment on Scindapsus pictus "Argyraeus" whenever we see one. Yours is especially pretty, I think.

Moose, that sure is a nice Senecio rowleyanus you've got. I used to have one years ago, and seeing yours makes me want another one.

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

Thanks Rhizo! :)
    I got that Senecio rowleyanus about a year ago and its really taken off. I think it must really like the weather here in sunny SoCal.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Amanda, your Scindapsis is the prettiest I've ever seen. So healthy and full.

Moose, your plants are doing fantastic, too. Your S. 'String of Pearls' is doing great. Wish mine looked like yours, lol.
    And your Spider is amazing. So many babies. Gorgeous!

Purple, your Purple plants are very Purple..:) Did your TBV's flowers ever open? Toni

PS. Amanda, think I welcomed you in another thread, but in case I didn't, WELCOME!

12 years ago

Amanda, your Scindapsis is the prettiest I've ever seen. Me too!!! That's what I was asking about. So, so pretty.

rhizo, he's been called a horse many times, and now a stump. LOL! Yep, great dane - 180 pounds of dog! PS is my #1 favorite plant, I think... yes, of the ones that like me back, anyway.

Toni, yes those pesky bridal veil flowers are doing much better, thanks. More sun, less water. (Tastes great, less filling?) If it has purple leaves, even on the bottom, I want it.

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

Hey Toni!

That spider plant is a baby machine! That pic is after I've taken at least 20 babys off of it this season for friends. I love spider plants. I want to get that Orange one and the Bonnie variety as well but I haven't seen them in our stores.

One of the babies about 8months old and making tiny babies of its own! :)
    {{gwi:110140}}

Two babies about 5 months old
    {{gwi:110142}}

One of her babies planted with some Wandering Jew. So pretty.
    {{gwi:110144}}

Another baby with some String of Pearl.
    {{gwi:104057}}

Proud momma! :)
    {{gwi:110146}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, my: I was so focused on Purple's plants, I didn't even SEE the dog! I'm so glad you mentioned him Rhizo; he's just as lovely as the plant combination. Persian shield is one of my favorite plants, too. You have such a nice, luxuriant swath of it in that first photo.

Moosetrackz, I agree, that Senecio is a showstopper. The spider is fantastic, as well. Do you grow them outside year round?

Thank you for the comments on my Scindapsus, Moosetrackz, Purple, Rhizo and Toni. This is the second one of these plants I've grown. The first one died a slow, under-watered death, but I think it taught me what not to do. This plant seems to be doing well so far. I lop it off fairly regularly, and stick the cuttings into the mother plant after rooting them. For a while, I had no success rooting the cuttings. I now find that rooting them in water, on a heating mat, works quite well.

Amanda

• Lamora
    12 years ago

oh the Dane!! Looks like my Major!! Beautiful Dog! ;) and the plants!! oh my~~ hope to get my spider to look like some of these one day. Beautiful pics everyone!

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

LOL, funny, until I reread this thread, I thought the Dane was a tree trunk, too..Beautiful dog..Love Danes.

Amanda, even though we talked in other threads, Welcome to House Plants; glad you decided to chime in.

Amanda, I used to be a Black Jungle customer, back in the 90's, but their plants were shipped smaller, very few if any roots and prices increased.

They did have gorgeous plants. For years I hunted a Calathea lancifolia. Pre-internet days, on. One day I spent 3 hours searching for this Calathea, was about to give up when I discovered Black Jungle. Turns out, the owner posted C. lancifolia on his site seconds before I found it. I phoned him, 'he explained he just posted the pic,' so I ended up buying two. lol.
    If you don't mind me asking, do you still shop there? If so, what's your opinion about their plants?

Purple. Duh, there's a pic of your BV a few posts up. Did you pot a Coleus w/the BV? An interesting combo. I didn't notice until the second glance..lol.

Also Purple, I was going to mention this in another thread...you are one funny person. Such wit! All your threads are entertaining, makes me LOL. Even on this thread, in your post you said, 'Taste great, less filling.' ROFL..wonder how many ppl catch your comments.

Moose, you have one fertile Spider. :) Hope she's married, lol, j/k.
    She's really loaded w/children.
    Is your Spider kept outside year round?
    The colors are beautiful, and nice, thick foliage.

Ever been to Great America? They kept big, old Chlorophytums in full sun. You'd think they'd burn..Nope..Instead, the leaves were thick, beautiful colors..even plain green was gorgeous.

Are you planning on growing the WJ upwards, or letting it hang?

Amanda, Scindapsis are difficult plants..Fussy. I killed a few over the years, and vowed never to buy another. Then, found, think they were rooted cuttings, and took back my vow. lol. I wish mine looked half as nice as yours.
    How much sun does yours get? Which direction? Thanks, Toni

• Moosetrackz
    12 years ago

Hey Toni!

I indeed have a fertile spider plant! I swear someday Im gonna see her on the Maury show testing 5 guys for the paternity of her 40 babies! lol :)

I didn't know WJ could grow up. Right now its kinda hanging up the vines point up instead of drape. Kinda like a U. Its taking over the poor baby spider though lol it grows so fast! The little spiders hidden in the vines.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Moose, let me know when she's on Maury..maybe we can get tickets..lol.

I was going to ask about your Ornamental Sweet Potato. Is it hardy or will you bring it indoors? It's so pretty.

Several years ago, can't recall the nursery, but they wanted 20.00 for I. 'blackee/blackie' in a 4" pot! It's sold at garden centers for 2.99 in a 4" pot.
    This so-called nursery said it was easy growing indoors..Yeah right..

Oh sorry, no WJ doesn't grow upright. I meant staking. Don't know how it'd look now that I think about it.b

The sky is strange..looks like the Wizard of Oz. lol. My kitchen sink is filled w/plants..'chasing critters out.' Hopefully, it doesn't storm.
    All day yesterday, I checked local weather on TWC. They said 40F last night..About 8pm, they changed to 34F and freezing rain. I really must get these guys in before they freeze!
    It's a lot easier taking them outside..lol

12 years ago

Toni, thanks for the compliment ;) And yes, that pot has coleus, 2 types of Callisia, and Tradescantia gibasis (bridal veil.) It will be coming inside (as long as the ant colony currently infesting the pot can be evicted) but I don't have much hope that the BV will survive the anti-ant soak, OR the stay inside if it gets past that. They never do for me but this will be the first time I've some them in better conditions (unheated room = temps about 55-65, air not dried out. Maybe cuttings (yeah, like I have room for MORE of those!)

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say that you have a wonderful collection of beautiful plants Love all of the colors..

Nice display of all of your beauties!!!

Thanks for posting!!!

Laura in VB

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Hi Lamora, hi Laura in VB -- nice to "meet" you.

Toni, thanks so much for the welcome. I'm glad to be here. You know, that anthurium was my last order from Black Jungle, now that you've got me thinking about it. I didn't stop ordering from them for any reason other than that I ran out of room. I also got a Philo. gloriosum in that last order, which grew and grew and grew and grew and grew until I finally gave it away because I wanted the space for hippeastrum. (Now I have the space for the P.g. and wish I had it, but...such is life as a plant addict. :) ) So I can't comment on their quality in recent years. Do you still have the calathea?

My scindapsus was about 2' away from a S-facing window over the summer. It grew a LOT there. As the window started to get sunnnier this fall, I moved theplant to what I thought was a too-dark location, but it seems to be doing well. It's It's about 10' from two E-facing windows in a room that has N-facing skylights. I put it there because that's where I had a place for a heating mat, which I think will be key to this plant's survival over the chilly winter in my house. We'll see what happens.

I think we need a reality TV show for our plants.

One winter, I brought my sweet potato vines indoors. They grew beautifully...until the spider mite and aphid infestations. I think they tend to have pest trouble indoors, but I haven't re-tried, after that one experience. Another year, I dug up the tubers, stored them, and replanted in the spring. That worked much better.

Toni, did you get all your plants in? This is the time of year for eating take-out! I am very proud of myself: I actually got all the plants out of my kitchen sink! I have a little problem with other areas, though...the dining table is totally covered in plants, and the kitchen counters are, well, I mean, what else do you do with horizontal space when you have to bring all the plants in in a hurry? There was a point, last week, when the stove was, um, "employed" as a plant stand, too. :)

Amanda