Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID this plant? It's leafy with pink edges.

Posted by splatteredwhim 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 22:31

Hi, I impulsed this at the grocery store today, but I don't know what it is. The tag says "foliage" which is super-unhelpful. Can anyone tell me what this is? (Apologies that it's sideways. I can't figure out how to rotate it.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID this plant? It's leafy with pink edges.

• Posted by tifflj 6 Pitts, PA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 22:44

I am a newbie. Sorry I cant help, but I wanted to say the plant is beautiful and will be curious to hear what it is. By the way someone will chime in anyminute on what it is. These ppl are gushing with knowledge. Its awesome!
Tiff

o

Looks like a cordyline (aka Ti plant) to me.

o

Yes, that is a cordyline/Ti plant, not sure exactly which Cordyline, but it's in that family. One of my local stores that I buy plants at gets in shipments of them every now and then with ones that are all bright pink to almost red, and I think they are so beautiful... but they are a pretty good size plant and require bright light and I just don't have room for bigger plants that require that much light. I think i'm up to my capacity of large plants that require bright lights for the moment...

Anyways, very nice plant, I have no experience to share but it's a common house plant that should be easy to find information on.

-FPT

o

Cordyline or Dracaena, both related.

o

It is a Cordyline, not a Dracaena. They grow easy from cuttings and there's a large range of coloured cultivars available, broad and narrower leaves. Kept too much in the shade they tend to become more green. They need moisture but not too wet.

o

So these can get pretty big? The ones I got yesterday are very little, two stalks in a 2 inch cube. How quickly do they grow?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here