Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beetle_2007

Finally! [Stephanotis]

beetle_2007
12 years ago

Finally opened some flowers, and they smell Marvelous!:)

{{gwi:110295}}

{{gwi:110296}}

Comments (17)

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Beetle..It's beautiful!! The flowers look waxy. Is your house fragrant?
    I've never looked seen Steph flowers close up..Are they growing all over the stems or or are the tips?

Beautiful, it's fantastic..Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Yahooo!

Finally, there is HOPE for all of us Stephanotis geeks! Have you considered making a book called 'Stephanotis for Dummies'? If you write one, I might consider buying it and giving it a shot.

Great work and a beautiful specimen! Like a fragrant fireworks display.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Just gorgeous, wondrous amount of blooms, smell must be intoxicating. Did you grow this yourself? So nice, congrats on the blooms.

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Toni:)Where the plant is [our bathroom,] is real sweet smelling Lol.

Meyermike, Thank you:) and ROFL!! Stephs for Dummies.... too funny!

Hi pirate girl:)Thanks:) Nope... didn't grow this my self, I purchased it last year, in flower. The look and the fact its fragrant drew me like a moth to a flame lol. I might try cuttings after it flowers.

• marquest
    12 years ago

That is gorgeous. I would like to grow one. I had to look that name up. LOL. Was it hard to grow? How did you keep it alive to bloom again? I know lots of questions but I would love to have one in my bathroom.

• Amanda (asarumgreenpanda, z6MA)
    12 years ago

That's an incredible display, Beetle! Great growing.

Amanda

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Well still Beetle, if you got it to re-flower, I repeat, Wow!! I've lost 2 of these so I really envy your success in keeping one over the year (or the winter).

I'd bought both as Mother's Day items several different times in that time of year in full bloom; so beautiful & fragrant.

For those who don't know, these plants are related to Hoyas & Ceropegias, they're commonly called Madagascar Jasmine (I believe). The one person I know who grows this has a greenhouse.

Good for you!! Thanks for the luscious view.

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your comments. marquest, it actually is a fairly easy plant, if you remember to neglect it a bit Lol. I let it get quite dry, before watering with very diluted fertilizer. [ teaspoon to two gallons water]. This last summer, it went outdoors from end of May, to about Sept 20th. Got rained on a few times,and seemed to love that :)

Thanks pirate girl, for the info on this plant, I guessed it might be related to the hoya, but wasn't sure .

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I have some that have grown from seed. Haven't had the pleasure of ever seeing one in bloom, but yours is so beautiful and it gives me hope that one day ill see blooms just as gorgeous as yours!!!

Here is a pic of my seedlings. The six on the left hand side are Stepanotis and the other six seedlings on the right are DR seedlings...

Take care ,

Laura in VB
    {{gwi:105559}}

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Laura, very impressive. When did you sow seeds? Your seedlings are doing great, very healthy.
    Are you going to graft the Adeniums?

You have Crassulas in Row 3. Were they started from seed, too, or cuttings? Toni

PS. Beetle, are flowers still alive?

• beetle_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, Laura, That is so cool! Did you have your own seed pod, or buy the seeds? I sure would love to have my plant grow one:)
    Hi Toni, yes the flowers are still alive and two umbels are still not open . Yay, That means more scent to come. :)

12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi Toni!!!

You have a great eye!! LOL...I did post those Jades on Mikes Thread here on Houseplants. The Jades were all from cuttings. But, the Stephanotis were from seeds as well as the DR's. My big DR's do have pods on them now and are ready to slip anytime. I havent grafted any at this time. But that seems like a great idea. Ill have to try this!!!

Beetle..Thanks!!! Ill show you my DR with seeds pods...
    Hopefully they will split soon I have tied them off to collect the seeds..A few weeks ago, one opened over night and i lost all of the seeds... I was so bummed!!!

Here are a few pics of the DR's with pods...

Take care,

Laura in VB
    {{gwi:3228}}
    {{gwi:105545}}
    {{gwi:110297}}
    {{gwi:105547}}{{gwi:110298}}

Have a great day!!!

Laura in VB

12 years ago

Hello EVeryone,

LOL....Sorry for the strange pics!!! I was at work with my netbook and it seemed to work well, but after i got home and viewed this...Opps! You have to look across to see the DR's...Go Figure!!! It was one of those days!!! OH well....

Tonight when i arrived home, I checked on the DR seedpod!!

It opened and looked very unique!!! Ill post a pic tomorrow, its late !!!

I have never actually seen seeds like this before, so i cant wait to show you All....

Take care,

Laura in VB

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Laura!!

Amazing to look at and all your success too!

Will those bloom at such a young age? I have always wanted to grow yet another plant, the Stephanotis and yet have yet to buy one.lol

Did I ever tell you that I LOVE not only the DR with the but, but the one with that huge Ball? It looks like that plant is straddling a stone of some sort.lol

Hello Toni!@!

Hope you all have a great day. I have not been feeling that great latley

Hugs to you all

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Beetle. I can smell your flowers here...hmmmmm..

Laura, gorgeous. How long does it take Adeniums, etc, from seed to the size they are now? You might have given a time frame before but I can't find it.

MIKE... good to see you, too. I'm fine. How's the foot? Healing? Healed? Is that the reason you aren't feeling well? Or is something else going on? Hope not!
    Actually, I'll feel better when ALL plants are inside..Temps dropped again..55F right now..boohoo. Toni

12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Hi Toni,

The seedlings are from this spring. Now the large DR's, and im guessing since when i bought them they were quite small and only maybe two years old. I think they are about 6 yrs old. That is a guess!!! Could be a year older...but not sure...

Someone on the Plumieria Forum thought the one with the ball looked like the"Mandrakes" from Harry Potter!! LOL... I had to chuckle at that one because i see what she is talking about!!!

Mike,

Thank you for the kind comments!!! You have helped me a great deal when i needed advice and I cant thank you enough!!!

You have been a great friend in helping me move toward making my plants healthier and happier than ever before. Im glad that we have helped each other, your Plumeria have done very well!!!! Great JOB!!!

As far as blooms on the Stephanotis at this early age, Im dont think that i will see blooms this year. Hopefully next year i may get to see some beauties!!!

Ill keep my fingers crossed!!!

I hope your feeling better?

Let us know how you are doing...

Take care,

Laura in VB

12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Here is the DR seedpod that i was talking about that i viewed last night when i got home form work!!!

Please excuse the Plumeria leaves behind the DR!!!

The seed pod was exploding with seeds...Loved the look!!!

{{gwi:3226}}

Take care,

Laura in VB