Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windycity_08

Unidentifiable creepy houseplant pest help!

windycity_08
16 years ago

I literally have spent the last five hours online trying to identify this scourge. IT IS: a grey worm/centipede-like pest that inhabits the soil of my palm varietal houseplant. I just can't keep one of these plants alive, and this one seems to be headed to the other side because of this annoying pesky crawling critter.

It is 1/4-1/2", white or translucent gray, has two small antennae and a dozen or so legs. Also, it rolls up into a ball when defending itself and/or croaks. It also floats in water.

For the love of God if you have any idea what this things is please share your obscure knowledge. I have looked at every bug known to internet man and am no closer to figuring out what it's name is let alone how to make it die.

Comments (23)

• greattigerdane
    16 years ago

Millipede? There are different kinds and shapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:110299}}

• amhort
    16 years ago

I am a student in horticulture and just looked though one of my pest books, could your pest possibly be a sowbug or pillbug, they are grey in color and do roll up when they die or are distrubed, unsure if they would be killing your plant or not
    let me know if that is what it is
    thanks

• webkat5
    16 years ago

I have brought plants home before which have these little stow-aways....creepy little things, aren't they? They won't hurt your plant, that I know of, but aren't much fun, either.

Try filling the bathtub with lightly soapy (insecticidal soap concentrate) lukewarm water and submersing the pot up to the rim (if you can)...this should drown them out without hurting the plant.

• windycity_08
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow. Cool. This is my first GardenWeb post so thanks for responding and especially the horticulture student who looked it up!

Okay. Back to bugs. Yeah, I tried millipede but haven't found a match and I don't think it is. Again, it's got 15-20 legs per side (only - sheesh!) and this is a very small, thin thing. Hence it is neither a sow nor pillbug either. It's longer and thinner, not squat and fat. Moves pretty slow too.

Also it's a very light greyish color.

• paul_
    16 years ago

Could you post a picture, perhaps?

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

Something in the mealworm family, perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia entry

• windycity_08
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I checked the wikipedia mealworm link - don't think that's it. I'll post a picture soon.

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your help.

• mazza
    16 years ago

I was just online looking for a cure for a creepy little worm-like bug in my house plant. The descriptions in this post sound very much like what I have here. My plant is an Imperial Taro (Indoor in NJ) and I don't want to lose it. I have also found the Cylindroiulus millipede and I think this is the critter.

I have already tried soapy water but it has not worked. I've also tried a Raid ant bait which they hide around but it has not killed them.

Any suggestions? Do I just need to be more severe with the soapy water? I'm afraid of hurting the plant which I love.
    thank you

• kristgray
    16 years ago

First thought when I read your desciption was a rolly polly bug. I've never seen them inside though.

• j_nail
    16 years ago

I'm also a horticulture student, currently taking a plant problem diagnosis class and I can relate to the amount of time that can go into figuring this stuff out!!! Can you describe the damage on the plant at all? (Or post photos) That may help determine what the bugger is.

I have my doubts that sowbugs or pillbugs would be damaging an established house plant. Although that was the first thing my brain jumped to! The description of the insect mostly sounds like them (adults are dark in color though), but I can't say for sure if they would be feeding on your plant (at least not enough to kill it). They are more likely to be in the soil area of the plant.

My next guess would be millipede or centipede. They are also dark in color, but roll up in defense/death. Also common in households and are found in the soil.

Followed by mealybugs, but they have a "waxy" coating on their bodies, and are found on the foliage or stems not the soil as far as I know.

I dunno, seems like you keep getting a lot of the same answers. Wish I could help more! Photos would be extremely helpful. Or if you can describe the pest any further compared to what has been suggested or what you've found out so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houseplant Pests CES

• scubadude
    16 years ago

Wow! I have the same problem. Everything that is being described here seems to be what I have. Same type of bug and same type of plant (palm tree like). I will have photos of the critter and the plant shortly. My big concern is my dog has become ill. I was wondering if this could be the cause. Could this harm animals if they eat this bug?

• mrbrownthumb
    16 years ago

I know what bug you're talking about but now that I need to remember it I can't think of the name. It looks like and moves like an inch worm only they're even smaller than inch worms and you can almost see right through them.

• scubadude
    16 years ago

These bugs are rather large when compared to an inch worm. I think we are dealing with millipedes in an infintile stage. I have photos but I'm not sure how to post.

• mmcdannell
    16 years ago

Hello,
    Is this what you are talking about?
    {{gwi:110301}}

I had found a bug some time ago, wish I could take a pic of the little stinker!! It curls up when threatened, such as picking it up, and it molts. Meaning you find its old carcase that floats in water.
    I contacted a bug expert and had a long talk with him as well as looking up such bug species.
    I am a bug person, I have been fascinated with them since a little girl. I now wished I saved what I had found out about this bug I have but can not find it on my hard drive. I leave most bugs alone. There are good bugs and bad bugs. Because of my birds I do not use chemicals here or limit chemicals. I use cinnamon, or other such things to drive off or kill nasty bugs.
    Anyhoo the bug I have which sounds like what you are talking about, lay many eggs, so killing one if one wants to do this is not going to help.
    Pictures of your plant is going to help a great deal.

What the article says about the bug up there;
    House centipedes feed on small insects, insect larvae, and on spiders.

Here is another pic I found online;

This is a millipede. More like what I have they eat rotten leaves and wood. A beneficial bug. No harm in other words.

Hope this helps?

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Oh My Lord in Heaven!!! That bug is gross..No harm? It'd harm me..I'd have a heart attack..LOL..Toni

• m_taggart
    16 years ago

I love those creepy house centipedes. The run soooo fast and I sometimes find them in my sink. As long as they eat spiders they're ok w/ me. I guess they can even live a couple years. If you really can't stand them, put them outside or in your basement.

If you really want to see a creepy bug, google Scolopendra gigantea. I wouldn't want to run in to that.

M

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

M,
    "If you really can't stand them, 'put them outside or in your basement." LOL..and how would this be accomplished? There's no way on earth I'd get closer than 10'..LOL.

BTW, you say 'pedes kill spiders..Did you know some spiders are plant pest munchers? Not that I'd keep a spider in my house either..but many ppl do just that..keep spiders in their plants to rid plant bugs..

If I was going insect vs insect route, I'd hatch praying mantis/lady bug eggs..I can deal w/these guys/girl..

Also, if I remember correctly, (I'll have to research plant books,) I could have sworn author/s stated pede's will/could nibble on plant roots..I'm not 100% certain, so I'll have to go through plant books..Toni

• scubadude
    16 years ago

How can I attach a photo? I have 2 good pictures of this bug. I'm almost 100% certain it is a millipede. The thing about this is, There are literaly hundreds!!!!!!!! I did the bath soak last night so we will see what happens.

• m_taggart
    16 years ago

To post a pic you need to upload you photos to something like photobucket.com It's free and easy. In your post, put the following line:

?img src="file location and name">

Enter a Erase the words: file location and name.

Paste the link to your pic in place of what you erased. In photobucket, you will paste from the direct link box. If this doesn't make sense do a general search for "how to post a picture". Click the second result.

M

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Scrub, what type of soil did you purchase? Several years ago I bought a bag of Hyponex..While digging away, I saw something move..It was a milipede/centipede..Not the one they call thousand-legger, w/huge legs..its cousin..though there were a good amount, there weren't hundreds.
    Still, who wants these guys roaming the house, or crawling in our beds while we sleep? LOL..Toni

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

One of the most common of all millipede species is the common garden millipede, a common inhabitant of moist and highly organic environments, such as under garden mulch, in rotting logs, and yes, potted plants. Unlike centipedes, which feed on insects and other arthropods, millipedes are vegetation eaters, and can damage plant roots. These little critters are frequent invaders to the household.

You're welcome to send an email directly to my email address.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:110300}}

• Berrrr_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Dude this bug is taking over one of my plants. funny thing, it was on a corn plant my husband gave me i set it outside (it was summer time) and they went away, but he bought this new plant noticed and it is consumed with them i mean as much soil is there are worms. I just noticed cuz all the leaves have fallen of my plant and i can now see. they are consuming the plant it looks like. i threw it away i have a two year old and i am not risking any Unidentifable creepy pests in my house. I agree, I looked at all those pictures of the other bug names and i saw a small resemblance, i agree with who ever posted that. I took a picture i will try to upload them later but they are so tiny it is hard to get my camera to focus in the dirt. Any who, they are gross and I don't like creeepy things at all, so they had to go.

• kplucinski_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I just found the same bugs in my Marjan plant... I've attached a photo of the pesky bug that has us all puzzled (click on link)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:72597}}

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x