Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trailer_gal

No Pest Strip

trailer_gal
13 years ago

It is time to be bringing some of my plants in for the winter. Usually I spray them with insecticide a few times before I bring them in for spider mites and any other bugs.

This year was thinking of trying something that I have read about. Hot Shot No Pest Strip.

I have heard that if you put the plant in a garbage bag with the Hot Shot and seal it up that will kill any pests.

Reading on the internet about Hot Shot it seems to say it is an insect repellent.

Has anyone every tried this method? Are their other products that would kill the bugs using this method? Maybe just put the plant in a bag and spray insecticide into it?

Comments (5)

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

TG, I never used No Pest Strips, but placing a plant in a bag then spraying insecticide inside, is a sure way to kill the plant.
    I read a little about this strip. Their site and Epinions. A few people say they bought the stripcs, it was a waste of money.
    If you go to their NPS site, read FAQ's. It says these strips are not supposed to be used in livable quarters.
    They even give emergency phone numbers for human and pet exposure.
    Since plants are alive, breath, etc, I wouldn't use these strips near my plants, let alone in an enclosed bag.

The chemical/ingredient is Dichlorvos. It says, "this is a dangerous ingredient to your pets and you. Keep away from children and childrens play areas.

Yes, Hot Shot is an insect repellent. It kills. I'm sure if you place a plant in a bag with the Hot shot, it'll not only kill the insects, but the plant too.

There are other methods, safe methods that kill Mites. Spraying with soap and water kill mites. There's an organic product called Fish Emulsion, it kills insects, and good for the plant. There are other oils, including Neem, that's safe.
    Please consider using these strips before taking a risk. Toni

• trailer_gal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Toni, I had read some bad things about the Hot Shot also, but was just trying to find an easier way to have a sure fire win against the battle of the pests and was hoping that someone had tried it and had good results.
    Usually, each fall, I mix up a few 1 gallon sprayers of one of the safer insecticides. Spray a lot of impatiens, a few hibiscus, a jasmine, a corkscrew vines, plumbago, oleander, etc. I spray them, then wait a week and spray them again and then bring them in. The plumbago, oleander, the jasmine, and a few more come into the house because they are too big for the cellar. During the winter, on a nice above freezing day, I take plants from the house outside and spray them. The others go down the cellar and eventually the pests win. Impatiens are really bothered by the aphids and spider mite. Also, I do use a systemic in some of the larger plants down the cellar.
    Probably should do what is practical, quit bringing all those plants in. It is so hard to leave them out to freeze with winter moving in. Am trying to do that a little more this year.
    Sherry

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Sherry, I don't blame you for wanting to place your plants indoors over winter. You have some really nice specimens.
    Impatiens are mite magnets. Even those they sell as house plants..Although they're beautiful, and unless you have a rare type of Impatiens, perhaps you should leave them out, or isolate from your other plants.
    I don't doubt your Impatiens are a big part of the insect population. Especially mites.

Wow, you really do a lot of spraying. lol. Are the insecticdes all chemical based? No organics? What about the systemic?
    The safest systemic I know of is Pyrethrum, and even that's considered harmful to humans and pets.

Before bringing your plants indoors, spray with a hose. Plain water. Especially leaves.
    There's a good number of organic sprays w/o chemicals that work..also you, your children, pets, won't breath in or be around chemical sprays.

I don't even like the Citronella plant..it repels mosquitos. Smells too much like Raid, lol.

Why not go organic, this year?? Toni

• trailer_gal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Toni
    Today the temperature will be close to 80 and I will go out and hose my plants. Will bring the ones back up from the cellar also hose off.
    Last year I mixed up Bonide Garden Safe 3 way fungicide, insecticide, and miticide and sprayed before bringing any of my plants down the cellar. Then brought them outside a week later and resprayed. Don't like to treat them during the winter with the sprayer because the cellar is enclosed with no ventilation.
    Some of the plants I put Bonide Systemic Houseplant Insect Control.
    I found a bottle of Bonide All Seasons Spray Oil around here but instead of being Neem it is petroleum based. I bet you will say ,not so good, to that.
    I have heard that you should not treat impatiens with Neem oil so probably wouldn't treat them with this oil either.
    I do have a lot of impatiens that I will let freeze, but want to save some of my doubles, fusion, some himalayan, and my trouble makers, the African Orchids. Haven't been able to control pests with African Orchids for 2 years, summer or winter.
    I don't use insecticides in the summer. So, guess I do go organic then.
    I may try the alcohol, dish soap, water treatment on my impatiens after washing them well with the hose.
    I like the hosing idea. Thanks for the tip.
    Sherry

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Sherry, please don't assume I'm telling you what to do, okay?
    Guess you can say, I have a fear of chemicals. Also, because I have birds, spraying chemicals could kill them. I love my birds too much to use harmful products.

Wowee, 80 degrees! You're sooo lucky. Wish it was 80 here, heck, wish it was 75. lol.
    Tomorrow it's supposed to be close to 80, so hopefully, I can bring in remaining plants that were summered outdoors.

To be honest, I don't know anything about Bonide. Later, I'll Google this product for info.

Insects are bothersome. They're wicked creatures that can kill our plants...some bugs work faster than others.
    Like you, I want to keep my plants, forever if posssible, so I go out of my way to keep insects off plants.

Hosing helps, but to keep bugs away all winter, it should be done as much as possible. One thing I discovered is, misting and/or showering keeps bugs away. Insects dislike water.

Do you have a sorce of ventilation and humidity? Most plant need fresh air and humidity. And proper watering and general care..Eg: removing dead leaves. Felled leaves are a great hiding and breeding place for certain insects. Even leaving yellow/brown leaves on a plant is a bug invitation.
    Area around plants should be cleaned..Walls and floors. Sweeping, mopping, and dusting.

Here's what I do. Before bringing plants in, all are hosed, outside..each plant is then brought indoors, and rehosed in sink or shower. Air dried.
    I mix up a batch of home-made insectide. Ingredients are items most people keep around the house. Water, lemon/lime (citrus) juice or peel, garlic/juice or finely chopped pieces, and hot pepper. Last, 1 capful of Fish Emulsion. All ingredients are placed in a mister. If prepared the night before, Fish Emulsion is added before use. Not overnight. Shake well.
    Foliage is sprayed thoroughly. As I said bugs don't like water, but they also dislike the taste of citrus, hot pepper and garlic.
    Warning. Fish Emulsion has a fishy smell, but only lasts a couple days. If you can bear the odor of Raid, etc, FE shouldn't bother you, especially since it's 100% harmless.

Fish Emulsion is actually an organic fertilizer, but works as an insecticide, too. Since I do not fertilize during winter, or when plants halt growing, by spraying with Fish Emulsion, I consider it the last feeding of the year.

Every 3 wks, I mix a new batch of the spray, minus Fish Emulsion,, and respray plants..it works as a preventative.

If you're interested, email me and I will give you dossages of each item. It can't hurt, right? Everything is natural.

One other thing..Ever hear of Yellow STicky Traps? They kill Aphids and other flying pests..Traps are chemical-free. Each trap, 'a yellow piece of cardboard,' contains a strong glue, usually Tanglefoot. Yellow attracts insects. Bug lands on a trap, can't fly away. If your plants have a lot of aphids, you'll be surprised the number these traps catch...and kills.

Good luck, Sherry. Whatever you decide, I hope those creatures stay away from your plants..you'd think Oleander would kill them since it's such a poisonous plants.lol. Take care, Toni

PS. Double Impatiens are beautiful. They're worth saving. Keep an eye on them, inspect frequently.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio