Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bath Day

Posted by tsugajunkie z5 SE WI (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 22:56

With warm temps and a steady all day rain due to hit, I took nearly every plant that overwinters inside out for a rare October bath on Saturday.

Photobucket

Drat, I didn't check to see if the corn plants washed behind their ears...

Jasmine in the left corner, gardenia on the right. Couple of phormiums in the middle and a basic geranium I've had for many years (I like the color)up front. The rest are pretty easy to id.

tj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bath Day

oh how lush and green! how well do the jasmine overwinter for you? I'm getting similar ideas here...

o

Nice! I woke up to rain this morning and was really kicking myself. (You should have seen that!) Didn't know it was coming and failed to put any plants out in it, or put buckets out to catch some.

The two tall ones in the back... Is the one on the right a Drac? Can't tell which kind. And what is next to it, on the left, slightly taller?

Love your screen porch!

o

Morning, All

Very nice and pretty colors. Great varieties.

I too like your sun porch..Is it warm enough to over-winter plants?

Is it warm enough in WI to keep and water plants outdoors? Toni

o

We had some rain the other day, but with the wind as hard as it was blowing and how cold it was, thought better of it and left mine inside. Was a total down-pour too.

I am not sure, but I think I heard some of my plants screaming to go out!! Ma-ma knows best- lol

Glad yours got a natural shower this late in the year, bet they enjoyed it.. :)

o

Thanks, folks.

@greenchic- The jasmine & gardenia are kept in a cool room (low 60s) in a west window during the winter. Seems they got a bit dried out when I kept them in my living room.

@purpleinopp- Those are both dracs. The taller dark green one was a gift (6 inches tall at the time) with no name. I'm guessing its Compacta. The other (also a freebie) is Tricolor. You can see one of the five gallon buckets I use to catch the rain behind the jasmine.

@hopefulauthor- The porch is strictly a screen porch, so no overwintering. I will, however, keep the phormiums out there until the temps dip into the low 20s.

tj

o

Aha, I recognize the one on the left now. Do you know how long I looked for a pic of an older one like that!? That's quite the specimen!

If by tricolor, you mean D. marginata 'tricolor', I don't think it is, unless there is some variation in them. The leaves are far too wide, not close enough together, and the stripes are different. Looks more like sanderiana or deremensis from that distance.

I was going for silhouette in this pic of D. marginata 'tricolor', so the leaves aren't clear, but you get the idea of how close the leaves are to each other on the trunk. Will post that next.

o

leaves closer

o

Purple- I think you're right about the Tricolor. I got 5 cuttings back in the mid 90's when I happened to be at an Embassy Suits when they were trimming them and that's what they were said to be. Three of the cuttings took and over the years they've been cut back a few times. Some sprouted at the base and some took as cuttings.

tj

o

Tj. Had to Google, Phormium. Never heard of this plant before you posted.

How cold does your sun porch get during winter?
I'd place a heater inside, to liven up winter months. lol

Purple, which of Tj's plants are you referring to? Is it in the photo?

o

Tj, if you get the notion to post a closer pic of just that Drac, I'd love to see it. Sounds like you've been having a blast with propagating and growing this!

Toni, the one at the top right of the group. Leaning toward D. deremensis but just not sure from that pic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here