Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spider Plant Disease?

Posted by ParisPolyphylla none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 23:07

I have two medium sized spider plants for about 1.5 years now. The past month I have noticed that entire leaves have been turning yellow and then really pale with reddish-yellow spots before wilting away. Whatever this disease/pest is it has been working from the outside leaves (the older ones) in.

I water them about once every ten days (when you stick a finger in and the soil feels dry). I don't see signs of too much chlorine in the water and the tips aren't brown. The plants are placed by a north-east facing window and they've just been repotted this summer.

Both spider plants have produced plantlets and I also see that in the plantlets (both still attached to the plant and/or repotted).

Help anyone!? These plants are losing a lot of leaves this way...

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spider Plant Disease?

There is no known spider plant disease. How often do you feed,water and repot

o

There is no known spider plant disease. How often do you feed,water and repot

o

Have you checked for spider mites? Under the leaves, they may be hiding and they create webbing near the leaf axil.

o

Paris, sensitivity to fluoride is the first thing that comes to mind with leaf spotting of Chlorophytum. Unlike chlorine, which will evaporate away if you leave it sitting overnight before using it, fluoride can get even stronger. Some people see improvements when they switch to distilled water. Perlite is another source of fluoride.

I am concerned about what might be going on with the root system since your repotting. Yellowing and loss of leaves usually means that something is "off " with the root/soil system. Is the new potting mix a nice, porous medium? Do the containers drain rapidly?

Yellowing can be caused by too much or too little moisture. Be sure that the plant dries out before watering again, then do so thoroughly. If the crown has begun to experience root rot, all bets are off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here