Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tifflj_gw

Pothos boo boo

tifflj
11 years ago

While spending time with Goldie, I realized it has a vine that is almost broken. It is about one half broken through...but there is new growth coming out of it. What should I do with it? I hate to snip it. Cant I just put something around to help it, like boo boo tape?

I know AL, it doesnt regenerate. :-) But I just hate to cut it off. Boy this is harder than it needs to be. *sigh*

Comments (29)

• Polly381
    11 years ago

BUMMER! I hate when that happens. Is there more then one stem to the plant. Maybe you could root it and replant it. Thats what I would give it a try if I couldnt find another solution, rather then letting it die.

• flowerpottipper
    11 years ago

Pothos root really easily, maybe the one of the most easiest plants to root in just plain water or just stuck back into the soil, which will give it a fuller look, or you could collect cuttings and make a whole other plant...

I think you just snip it, it wont hurt the plant at all. Tonight I just cut a long vine off of my pothos cause it was missing alot of leaves in the middle (about 3 feet long), so I stuck the bottom part that still had leaves in a vase with water where I'm also rooting other plants for my mother. But my mother already has two potho plants, so I'm just gonna wait til it starts to grow roots and stick it back in with my pothos.

-FPT

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

You CAN snip it off & root it, but if you're careful about not breaking the branch through entirely & want to experiment, you might be able to get it to knit back together by wrapping it with grafting tape or something similar that seals the moisture in. I've done it lots of times with woody material & often even purposely half sever stiff branches at the trunk so I can more easily bend them downward to make a tree look older.

Al

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Boo boo tape, lol

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

As others have said, Epipremnums root very readily. By cutting it right off and planting in the same pot you'll get a bushier effect. Rather than having one wounded stem on your plant.

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I snipped it this morning. BUT. It only had 3 leaves on it and the one was a baby. Will I have problems with it?

On sticking it back in the soil. How do i do this?Do i empty the pot and do a sort of repot with the new stem? Seems like thats what to do in effort to get the stem deep enough...

Is it a stem or vine...

Larry, you like that? hehe

brody...that is freaking hilarious...plant glue...wow

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

A pic would help with advice...

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Tiff, lol..boo boo tape. I believe Boo Boo Tape is sold at Walmart. lol

Nancy, LOL. Some people!!!

Al's idea was worth the experiment..Similar to air-layering.
    Or place Sphagnum moss around the cut, wrap plastic around the moss, then attach w/ti's. Spray moss periodically until roots form.

Pothos are very easy and fast rooters..

But, in several threads I notice some say they root long cuttings. Doesn't matter if cuttings are rooted in water or soil, they should be no longer than 3-4", bottom leaves removed.
    If leaves are left on, bottom leaves can rot.

11 years ago

Toni, that's true. I prefer a cutting that's 3 feet, not inches, but one with 3 nodes should be able to survive. I really have better luck with these when the cuttings are in water for a week or two first, until the brown root nubs start to turn white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tons of pics of water props and cuttings in soil

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well a couple inches is all I had to work with. :( If it works great...if not oh well.

Here is a picture of what I have to work with...

11 years ago

Oh that's much better than I thought. I thought you were saying the three leaves were all there was to this piece. You have 6 nodes there. Give yourself some credit for having a feel for this. The level it's at in the water is to the millimeter of what I would do. At least one of the submerged root nubs should begin to turn white and elongate soon. It will take-off in soil really fast at that point. That node will probably begin to produce a new vine stem also. You will soon see why folks say to trim and replant vines for a fuller pot.

11 years ago

Forgot to say, when it's time to stick it back in, I just use a finger or pair of scissors to make a hole down in the pot, and stick it in enough so the new root is under the surface, then kind of fill in that hole a bit, gently so I don't break the new baby root. The mama plant won't mind if you break a couple of her roots doing this.

• brodyjames_gw
    11 years ago

Yay! You did it! I root all my pothos cuttings this way and have always been successful.

Plant glue, yep, you'd be amazed what we've been asked for and what we've been asked to do...including coming to customers' homes while they were away to care for and SING TO their plants! It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world! :)

Nancy

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

The roots come from the nodes and you have enough there. If you were in a more humid and warm climate you could just lay the cutting on top of the soil and forget about it. Well, ..... forget about it until you had to cut the vines off of your roof, LOL.

• birdsnblooms
    11 years ago

Purple.. Aw, rooting in water..I apologize...When rooting in water it doesn't matter how large the stems are..I was thinking about rooting cuttings in soil.

Never had luck rooting large stems in soil, so the times I had, stems were cut in 3-4" pieces.
    Cuttings in water were longer to begin with.

Placed a 7+" Tradescantia that broke off while hauling plants inside the other day.

Tiff, be sure you change water regularly. If not, girl the water STINKS!

Nancy, you're kidding I hope???? People ask you to go to their homes and sing to their plants???? ROFL.
    No....??? Toni

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Tiff: Glad this forum post has moved in this direction. You and I seem to match up on a lot of our planting stuff.

I received 5 pothos cuttings on Saturday (they are all similar in size to yours, I think).

Since I've read about both ways, I am trying 3 in soil and 2 in water. Excited to see which method is more successful for me!

11 years ago

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but IME, there's a huge difference between leaving something in water until the roots fill the container, and putting in water for a week or two until the nubs activate, soften, turn white. The former can necessitate an awkward transition, but I think the latter is especially beneficial on certain plants with aerial roots.

Rachel, few people are organized/motivated enough to try both at the same time. Let us know!

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Everyone so much!! Cant wait to see what happens!

@Toni, I know about the smell from getting fresh flowers from hubby. WHEW, they can stink if you leave them! So with flowers I typically change the water every 2 days and trim the stems in a slant the opposite way from what they were.
    With this I wont trim it but I will change the water! THANKS!

@Rachel - Would love to chat further with you then and compare notes on what we have! It would be nice to talk to someone in the same boat, kind of!

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

These are not my finest pictures, but I wanted to show you my setup while I was thinking about it!

5 pothos cuttings total:
    4 green
    1 variegated

Pic one--Soil Attempt: Bedroom TV Stand
    -- West window (open all day, of course)
    2 green in back
    1 variegated in front
    bonus plant: my curly spider keeping an eye on things
    I have watered the soil one time to keep it moist.

{{gwi:110407}}

Pic 2-- Water Attempt: Kitchen Windowsill
    --East window
    2 green

{{gwi:110408}}

Is it just me, or do cuttings look really sad?? At least compared to the established plants! I'm impatient for something to happen!

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am impatient as well. I think that is why it is good to have all kinds of different plants so that one of them is always doing something!! HA I LOVE LOVE the spider plant!

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Thats funny, I had some in water and they didnt look good so I put roottone on them & transferred them into soil/perlite mix yesterday.

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

I've got the first activity on one of my 5 cuttings. I "started them" on Oct. 20.

This is one of the cuttings that has been in water. (Nothing happening with the 2nd one in the same jar yet...)

{{gwi:110409}}

{{gwi:110410}}

Questions:
    1)So is it ready to be planted?
    2)If not, how long do I let the "white root" get?
    3)Also, how big of a pot do I put a cutting of this size in?

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rachael. First of all with all the reading and chat about cuttings i would believe you can pot pothos right when you cut it. I had my cutting in water for about a week and got impatient so i put it in the pot with the mamma plant.

However i have two philos i got as a gift and i put then into small containers and put holes in the bottom....if it comes in sideways im sorry, its my phone.

{{!gwi}}

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

I know you can pot up pothos right after cutting. Remember that I already have 3 in soil -- see above Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 21:44 post. For others who have missed my above post, I am trying 3 in soil and 2 in water.

Since I am experimenting with both methods to see what rooting method is most successful, I'm trying to do this the right way. I'm not impatient or in a rush. If the white thing should get longer, then I am willing to wait.

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok well in that case because it has a root already i would think now you would pot it. Ha, but what the he k do i know. ;)
    Will be intrested in your findings though.

• pirate_girl
    11 years ago

Shorter cuttings will root better in the mix than those longer ones. That's likely to do better if you cut those soil cuttings in half & re-root the top parts either in water or mix.

I'm with Purple on this, I've had better luck rooting soil rooting shorter cuttings than longer.

• rachelthepoet
    11 years ago

Okay, I went ahead and planted the pothos (from above pic Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 16:58) in a little 2 inch pot. It looks a little goofy, but I think/ hope that the white root thing is sufficient and shows that it's ready for soil.

I'm amazed that this first green pothos showed the white root thing within only 10 days (but also curious why the 2nd cutting, in the same jar of water, hasn't showed any change at all).

I'm not just tracking how long it takes for my 5 pothos "specimens" to root, but I also hope to track their long-term success after rooting in either soil or water initially. I'm trying to be as scientific and careful about documenting this process as I can.

• tifflj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still interested in the results. I am not ready to experiment like that yet. I still have to manage to keep them alive first...

So here is my pothos. She looks very happy. I put a little twist tie on the vine I just stuck in the soil so I know which it was to watch it grow...hopefully.