Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fost_gw

Another Fiddle Leaf picture

fost
10 years ago

One other picture of my new Ficus Lyrata plant. What causes the browning of the leaves? Can anyone help? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

This pic goes with this one. What can you say about the roots/soil?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Good for you for taking a stab, purp! I don't see any sign of scale, myself, but hesitate to guess. It might just be physical damage (old) . The images don't tell me much.

And you are so right that we need much more information.

• fost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your responses! I'm not 100% sure, but it doesn't look like scale to me. I'm not seeing anything underneath the leaves or any shiny, sticky spots on the leaves. It may just be a part of the plant, but I wanted to check and make sure since this is my 1st Fiddle Leaf. My sister purchased this plant for me approx. 4 weeks ago, so it was sitting in a sunless store for I'm not sure how long. She took care of it for 2 weeks before she got it to me (again not much sun w/our weather here lately in the midwest). I have had the plant for almost 2 weeks. When she brought me the plant, it already had the brown spots on the leaves. The plant is still in the original nursery container. I am hoping to wait until the appropriate season to repot. It doesn't appear to be severely root bound to me, but I'm thinking I will for sure need to repot up in the late spring/early summer. My sister did water it even when the soil already seemed somewhat moist. So, in the 2 weeks that I have had it - I haven't watered it. It still seems slightly moist further down in the pot. I have it in a light filtered window w/ a plant light on it. It doesn't look any worse. No more leaf browning, and it hasn't dropped any leaves. I just wanted to check with you all to make sure that it in fact wasn't scale or a fungus. I'm guessing I should just sit back and wait and watch at this point?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

That's what I would do.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Blundering in there and saying something for someone to disagree with usually gets something going! I don't mind & glad u don't think it looks like scale. You're the one I'd ask, Rhizo. Smiles all!

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

It looks like there could be some mechanical injury there, or perhaps issues related to over-watering or a high level of salts in the soil. I would use the time between now & next summer to learn about how to keep the root system healthy - mainly because a healthy root system is a prerequisite to a healthy plant. For best results, don't settle for a soil you can't water copiously at will w/o having to worry about suppression of root function (due to soggy conditions) or root rot.

Also, one leaf looks suspect for mite damage on the underside that's flipped over.

Keep the plant in bright light but not direct sun and make sure the soil is barely moist deep in the pot (check with a wood skewer or chopstick) before watering until you can get it repotted early next summer.

Al