Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering with soft water

Posted by PhytoRo none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 23:28

We recently moved to a new house and I�ve been trying to get my old collection of house plants little by little. It�s been a few months and some of my plants are not thriving at all, I killed a spider plant and I had no idea what was going on. Today somebody told me that if I water my plants with the water from inside my home I could kill them, because we have a water softener. Is this true? I don�t know what to think. My peace Lily is doing quite good (not flowering, but very big, dark green and pretty), I have a bromeliad which is giving out two "daughters", my Dracanea also has two daughters coming out and my Coleus and Pothos seem to be okay. However...I almost killed an entire spider plant...the easiest plant ever! My croton is slowly dying and in general, unhappy, and my dieffenbachia started to have random yellow leaves that are too numerous for my peace of mind.
So...am I really killing them with this water? Anything I should do other than getting the water from the outside hose?
Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering with soft water

yes, it's true that you can damage the plants because of the sodium from the water softening process.

Often it's only indoor water which is softened. So you may be able to use an outdoor spigot/hose.

That said, sometimes people put the entire system on the softener. So check how your system is set up.

o

Salt makes for unhappy houseplants.

Water softeners usually work by ion exchange in which the water is fed through a container of resin and sodium is released into the water reducing the hardness by replacing magnesium and calcium, which is absorbed into the resin.

There should be a by-pass faucet on your softener to get unaltered water.

Someone else may be able to explain it better but that's that general idea.

o

• Posted by dsws none (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 14:20

If you have a dehumidifier, it's an easy source of sodium-free water. And as dellis326 says, look at the pipes around your water softener: you'll probably be able to find a place to get water upstream of the softener.

When you water, do you water enough that some flows out the bottom? Any amount of sodium above minuscule isn't so great for plants, but if you water in sips you'll have a lot more of it accumulating in the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here