Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatadeniumguy

Monstera Deliciosa Growth Rate

thatadeniumguy
10 years ago

How often does your monstera produce a new leaf? Once/wk, every day, etc..?

Comments (14)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Generally slow. Big leaves can take a long time to grow.

• User
    10 years ago

In the winter, indoors, mine hardly grows. Outside, in the growing season, it grows fairly fast!

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

That is true, outside in the warmer weather they will grow faster. They do enjoy heat and humidity. Indoors as a houseplant they'll grow slower all year. The amount and quality of nutrients you give them count for something too.

• thatadeniumguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can anyone quantify slow? That's pretty vague. What exactly is slow? How many inches of stem per week? Leaves? This is indoors of course; growing season and fall/winter. Mines slowwwwwwwwwww. I'm trying to figure out if a single leaf in 3 months is anywhere near the norm. If it is I'm out this is worse than bonsai from seed.

• User
    10 years ago

What are the conditions for the plant? Sun, temperatures, humidity, pot size, soil conditions, feeding practices, etc.? All these factors will affect growth--as will the time of year. As I said, I do see a big difference with this species depending on whether it is inside or out. Outside (in partial sun and higher temperatures), it can put out 2-3 new leaves per week and is an aggressive climber with freely forming aerial roots. Inside, under florescent in the basement maybe one leaf every two weeks. Leaves formed outside will also be much larger compared to those in the house. Post a pic so you can get feedback on pot size relative to the plant. If your plant is growing at a glacial rate throughout the year, it is lacking something.

• Adeline Chui
    6 years ago

I recently bought a young m. Deliciosa and I live in an apartment with large south facing window in NYC. It's been quite chilly lately but in the summer the indoor temperature often reaches 85 degree Fahrenheit. I plan on getting a humidifier for the plant. How often should I fertilize it? Can I use worm compost? Should I just use worm tea instead of compost? Thank you!

• PRO
    Arletta Cwalina
    6 years ago

Adeline, I have similar conditions as yours and a young plant finally :) Can you tell and/ or show your monstera today? How fast is it growing, and where does it grow (shadow/ light)? :)
    Can't wait to see some larger leaves, now it has only 3 and just opening new, fourth...

• Sara Sidwell
    6 years ago

Hey everyone ..I also just got my first monsteras and 1 am in love, (I actually got 3 outta the deal cuz they sent me the wrong sized plant twice and just kept sending them lol) so I have a very young one, a medium with 2 leaves that now have slits and the third is a larger one with split leaves witch I find is growing a little slower than the rest but may still just be acclimating to its new environment I’ve them all for 1.5 months (a week apart)and they are all right beside each other(with my hord of other plant babies as it’s winter or they would be outside!) their under grow lights and all grow at diff speeds but all continue to put out new leaves but the medium sized one is winning the race so far lol ..I’d love to see anyone’s monsteras!! :) hope sharing my situation helps with at least partially answering your question.

• kingd Z6A michigan
    6 years ago

I just picked one up and I don't expect much growth this time of year here, not a whole lot of light, even though its in a south window and skylights

• Sara Sidwell
    6 years ago

Heath want a gorgeous specimen , so beautiful ..and king D ..I’m sure it’s beautiful as well .. it’s cool to watch the juveniles grow, any idea on the age of yours Heath? Thanks :)

• heath (MA Zone 6)
    6 years ago

Sara, they can grow quickly. The big one I purchased as a good sized plant, don’t know its age.

I have another, that I purchased as a group of seedlings late winter last year, it had about 8 small leaves and was about 8 inches high. Now it is much bigger, over 2’ tall. I have had it about 8 months, it is in 511 and spent the summer outside, see pic:

• Megan DaLuz
    6 years ago

I just got mine! It’s fairly large from Home Depot. It’s in a south facing block window, pretty bight indirect light. I’ve been keeping in the bathroom. Wasn’t sure how it would do. I mist it a few times weekly and have watered it 1x per week. I have had literally 4 new leaves in the last 3 weeks and 4 that haven’t uncurled yet. I am so in love with this plant

• Adeline Chui
    5 years ago

I'm so sorry I haven't revisited this in a long time. I first got two rooted cuttings from a more mature plant, but end of giving that to my mother. Because this pot only consists of two vines, she doesn't get as many new leaves. Maybe 1-2 a month. I got this 04/2017

Then I got a more dense, but MUCH younger plant (plants? there are like at least 7 vines in the pot) from Home Depot. Both grew very quickly. I sometimes get 2-4 new leaves a month. This I got maybe around 08/2017

You can see the difference in maturity. The leaves on my mother's plants are significantly larger.

I have since removed many older leaves from the bottom, but I have no qualms about removing older leaves to clean up the appearance.

I fertilize it maybe once a month while watering using half strength of regular 20-20-20. (1 small scoop in a gallon of water.)

=) Happy gardening.