Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monstera Deliciosa Growth Rate

Posted by ThatAdeniumGuy none (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 1:20

How often does your monstera produce a new leaf? Once/wk, every day, etc..?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monstera Deliciosa Growth Rate

Generally slow. Big leaves can take a long time to grow.

o

In the winter, indoors, mine hardly grows. Outside, in the growing season, it grows fairly fast!

o

That is true, outside in the warmer weather they will grow faster. They do enjoy heat and humidity. Indoors as a houseplant they'll grow slower all year. The amount and quality of nutrients you give them count for something too.

o

Can anyone quantify slow? That's pretty vague. What exactly is slow? How many inches of stem per week? Leaves? This is indoors of course; growing season and fall/winter. Mines slowwwwwwwwwww. I'm trying to figure out if a single leaf in 3 months is anywhere near the norm. If it is I'm out this is worse than bonsai from seed.

o

What are the conditions for the plant? Sun, temperatures, humidity, pot size, soil conditions, feeding practices, etc.? All these factors will affect growth--as will the time of year. As I said, I do see a big difference with this species depending on whether it is inside or out. Outside (in partial sun and higher temperatures), it can put out 2-3 new leaves per week and is an aggressive climber with freely forming aerial roots. Inside, under florescent in the basement maybe one leaf every two weeks. Leaves formed outside will also be much larger compared to those in the house. Post a pic so you can get feedback on pot size relative to the plant. If your plant is growing at a glacial rate throughout the year, it is lacking something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here