Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with my Dracaena Massangeana

Posted by heartsopenwide none (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 2:10

From Desktop

Here is a history. The problems seemed to begin when I left my Dracaena outside and it got sun sorched. That seemed to resolved, but then I was battling with fungus gnats for some time. I used a safe organic spray on it for several weeks along with yellow sticky board. When that was not working I transplanted into sterile standard soil and placed sand on top to prevent any gnats from getting back in. During this re-planting I did not plant as deep as it was when I got the plant. This was several weeks ago and the trunk still appears to be wet were it was previously under the soil. The leaves started turning yellow and brown in some spots so I trimmed them a few days ago, but now they are even looking worse! What am I doing wrong? I really do not think I am over watering, I only water a few times a month. How can I salvage this?? It seems to be only affecting one of the canes, the taller cane is still nice a green.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with my Dracaena Massangeana

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 19, 11 at 12:40

How often you water isn't ultimately what determines whether or not you're over-watering8ng. THAT is determined by the volume of air remaining in the soil after you water, with soil choice playing a very large part in that equation. In the end, the greater the volume of air in your soil after you water, the greater will be its potential to produce healthy plants that grow well (near their genetic potential). Your trunk is wet because the soil is wet enough that water can move up the trunk, pulled upward by capillary action. In some cases, the periderm (bark layer) can begin rotting and hold more water than it normally would, but your picture doesn't indicate that to be the case, though root rot can't be ruled out as a possible cause either.

In most cases, switching to a soil that is well-aerated, structurally STABLE for the long term, and drains very well will save growers from having to deal with a very high % of issues like you're facing.

Al

o

Thanks for the reply. I went to a garden shop and they guy told me I should get some "Black Gold Soil" have you used this? I also bought some transplant shock liquid to give to this Dracaena.

o

Just wondering. The looks of your pot, does it have drainage holes in the bottom??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here