Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

Norfolk Island Pines - Where to Purchase?

tammypie
12 years ago

Hello,

I live in South Orange County and I want to purchase a small (6 to 8 inch pot) Norfolk Island Pine. The Plant Dept in SJC has larger ones for $50 which is too expensive.

Can anyone refer me where they are sold? HD doesn't have them.

Thanks, TammyPie

Comments (9)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

I can't help you with where to buy one, but the link tells how to I.D. them. Common in the trade is to sell a Cook Island Pine as a Norfolk Island Pine.

The post on Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 9:50 is a good quick I.D.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook or Norfolk

• eahamel
    12 years ago

They're showing up in a lot of stores now for Christmas trees. I've seen them at Whole Foods Market and another health food type store in my area, and you should be able to find them soon, if not now. Lowe's may have them, if HD doesn't. I've seen them in regular grocery stores that sell flowers, too. They get them with the Christmas stuff. I saw some the other day in a Randall's grocery store, but you you might not have that chain where you are. If you have a regular nursery in your area, they probably will have them, too.

• paul_
    12 years ago

As Eahamel said, they are showing up in a lot of stores now, so just keep your eyes open.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Tammy..50.00 IS expensive. 4' NIP's sold here are 19.99. Decorated, 29.99.

More and more stores are getting NIP's in so like another poster said, keep your eyes opened.

Call stores before driving out, talk to whomever is in charge of garden/house plants. Ask if and when they'll be available, and the cost.

I've been to a few stores looking for a certain type of Christmas Cactus. Most stores haven't even ordered them yet, which is unusual since they're usually on shelves before Thanksgiving.

Good luck, Toni

Here in

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Tammy, keep your eyes open in the grocery stores for the little ones.

• eahamel
    12 years ago

Tammy, since I posted above, I've seen NIP's in several stores, the small ones, 6" pots, for around $5.99.

• tammypie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi guys! Well, I did find NIP's at Walgreens around the corner from my house. $6.00 for a 4-inch pot. I purchased one last year, and it's grown considerably and I still have it. Then I recently purchased another one this year from the same store - this time I separated the several trees and planted them individually. I planted one in the corner of my back yard where it will get shade and hopefully flourish.

Thanks again!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That's cool to hear. Thanks for the update!

• goren
    11 years ago

The best place to obtain them is ON NORFOLK ISLAND...IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC
    i say that because these beautiful trees are best left where they are naturally growing....on the island.
    Its much like taking a Christmas Tree out of the forest and subjecting it to what people do with them.....which, of course, ends with their death.

Considering what happens to its eventual future....growing beyond the height of the room they are put into, it would be much better to buy another plant.

So....go have a holiday....sail to the Island and see what you are saving.