Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fathim_zazu

How do I make this Lily grow?

fathim_zazu
9 years ago

I have had this Lily for a long while. Very rarely it gets 2 leaves but mostly it sits with one leaf. It never bloomed flowers either. What should I do with it? I really want it to grow and bloom.

Comments (6)

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

It is a armaryllis, and it sounds like you are depriving it dormancy, needed for health and flowering, I suggest to stop watering it and put it in a cool and dark place for 3 to 4 months, then bring it out and start watering again, and hopefully it may flower. It may also need repotting next spring after it goes dormant and hopefully flowers...

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

You need to get it out of the mucky soil it's in and familiarize yourself with what cultural requirements the plant prefers. Look at growing from the perspective of limitations - you know your plant is genetically capable of being a beautiful specimen, but cultural limitations are preventing that. Your job is to identify and eliminate what is limiting your plant. The areas where you'll be able to do the most good will relate to root health and light. Focus on:

1) A good soil that allows you to water correctly
    2) Watering correctly
    3) Appropriate light levels
    4) An appropriate nutritional supplementation program
    5) Appropriate temperatures

3 of the 5 critical areas center on soil choice. If you get the soil choice right, the watering and appropriate fertilizing are little more than a formality. That leaves light and temp for you to figure out. The link below should provide a lot of insight. It has the basic information that will help you turn your plant(s) around, if you're up for making the effort. If there is anything you don't understand or want explained in more depth, you need only ask.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More info if you click me.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The OP is in the Maldives so there may be a shortage of cold, dark places ;-) Given the location it isn't even certain this is a Hippeastrum (aka, incorrectly, as Amaryllis). Quite possibly, for all we know, it would be happier planted outdoors in the ground.

• pelargonium_gw
    9 years ago

I can se that the soil is too dense and water retentive, also, if it is a hippeastrum/amaryllis, the bulb shoul be only about halfway buried, the top well above the soil.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    My guess is that it's a florist type amaryllis They have been hybridized int a million forms MOST, but not all benefit from a cool/ cold rest period What i do is substitute a dry rest period right after the leaves die down ,keep it VERY dry for at least 4 weeks . I grow mostly in water with rocks on the bottom place half the bulb out of the water once new growth starts. In should initiate a flower spike NOT leaves . If you get leaves a good sign it requires a definite chill. This can be provided by placing in a mesh bag and store in the crisper of fridge try to keep it under 40 but no freeze. depending on the type usually needs at least a month .
    If this fails seek out tropical members of the family MUCH easier to maintain in warm climes!!! gary

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Would say it's a Hippeastrum by shape of the leaf
    They are related to lilies.
    A bit over exposed but leaft a general idea for potting yours