Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
European Yew as houseplant?

Posted by hexalm 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 3:35

I've been rooting a small Irish Yew cutting and it finally seems to have become viable. I'm planting to overwinter it indoors, but does anyone know if European yew trees can be kept indoors indefinitely?

I began wondering after realizing that most temperate conifers don't tend to survive indoors, especially not those from misty isles growing in a humid place like Seattle.

Anyway, I was able to learn about the Asian yew varieties, but no info on European yews being kept indoors. Any thoughts or experience on this out there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: European Yew as houseplant?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 9:23

While a few species of evergreen conifers that are happy in warmer climes will tolerate indoor conditions to varying degrees, the temperate plants probably will react poorly. They need a cold, dormant rest period to grow, and in many cases even remain viable in the subsequent (to winter) growth period, and will also rebel at the low light and humidity generally found indoors.

Having several species of Taxus growing as bonsai, I over-winter all in an unheated garage. I'm sure yours could be left outdoors all winter with some protection if the plant is rated to zone 7 or colder.

Al

o

If its newly rooted you may get by with overwintering inside this year but I wouldn't keep it there indefinately. And with you being in zone 8, keeping it inside may not be needed for even a newly rooted plant. If you have Taxus baccata (Irish Yew) it is usually listed as zone 6 hardy but I've seen older specimens in Iowa's zone 4-5 and I have one in my zone 5 which has seen -17 degrees.

tj

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 23:07

Temperate plants in containers, deprived of a suitable period of dormancy, often unexpectedly go dormant at some point in the subsequent growth cycle. This can even occur in the middle of summer, and is usually fatal to the plant, unless it is recognized for what it is and a suitable period of chill (refrigeration) furnished to release the plant from dormancy. This holds as true for for newly rooted cuttings (actually for UNrooted cuttings as well) as it does for older, established plants.

Attempting to over-winter the plant indoors will seriously increase the odds it will not survive the winter and ensure a very weak plant (at best) come spring.

Al

o

Thanks for the responses. I suspected it might be best to treat it like a temperate plant since it is one, but I'm still pretty inexperienced at growing things (particularly, things I found growing outside). This one's going back outside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here