Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atharaenea

Gardenia troubles

Atharaenea
9 years ago

I have a potted Kleim's hardy gardenia that I brought in for the winter (the cold seemed to be killing it, and I'm out of zone anyways). It was a baby in April (just 4 little leaves), and now is about a foot tall with 2 main trunks. About 2 weeks ago, all the leaves on one trunk dropped... they didn't turn yellow or black, they just dropped off. I put it up on the kitchen table under the light fixture (5 100W equivalent daylight CFL bulbs) to get it more light, since I don't have any windows that get enough direct sun to do it any good. Now, that one trunk is starting to get some stems turning black, along with most of the remaining tiny leaves. I cut back to healthy wood, but the die-back continues. So tonight, suspecting root rot, I went and got some new potting soil (miracle gro potting soil and some orchid soil) and a brand new pot. I dug the gardenia up, and surprisingly, the root ball was very dense and the roots peeking out where white and healthy. I put it in the sink and tried to rinse the soil off, but most of it would not come off because the roots were holding it so tightly. So now it's in a smaller pot (which better matches its small size) with about 30/70 orchid soil to potting soil. I only dribbled a little water on top of the new soil to settle it, figuring the thoroughly soaked root ball will be enough water to last weeks.

This is my first gardenia, and I'm still a beginner in gardening and such. I was wondering if I did things right? What should I do if it keeps dying back?

Comments (5)

• tete_a_tete
    9 years ago

Hmmm... I'm a little confused why you used any orchid soil.

A good soil for a Gardenia is a composty, good quality acid mix. It is important for any plant to be given a good, thorough watering after potting, as this settles the soil around the roots and removes air pockets. So, regardless of how wet the roots are, or how much rain is expected, or how much it is currently pelting down, it is important to water in a freshly-potted or planted plant.

I don't know why the l;eaves fell off or why things are going black. I am no plant doctor, but things don't sound good.

Gardenia's love humidity. And good light. My guess is that it is pining for its spot in the garden. It sounds like it was doing very nicely there.

Are you sure it would be too cold for it there? How protected a place is it? Spots in the garden can be diffcult for us to know just how they feel, and it is the plants that can tell us this. Perhaps you could put the Gardenia back and see it it starts to pick up. It isn't at all happy where it currently lives.

• Atharaenea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When it got down the the 20s the first time several weeks ago, it ended up with black, frost-bit tips on the leaves. 40 degrees or colder and it just kinda flops over. My patio isn't the best spot for it, because it faces west (this is an apartment, so I don't have much choice), and if we have another very cold winter like last year it won't last. I was concerned that if I left it outside most of the time but brought it in when temperatures dropped below the zone 7 minimum, the shock of going from freezing to room temperature and then back out to freezing would do it more harm than just leaving it inside all winter. Should I not be worried about that? My other concern is that when it's outside, the squirrels dig around in the pot. I've put hot pepper flakes in there, which works for about a day before they're back to digging.

I used orchid soil because it seemed like it would do a better job draining in the absence of any gritty mix, which I can't find. I figured a mix of that and potting soil would be better than potting soil alone. It's only been a day, but there is no change. One half is still slowly dying back, the other half is just sitting there. At least now that it's in a smaller pot it's much easier to carry around, so I can move it back and forth between the kitchen table and the front window.

I don't wanna kill it with kindness, but I don't want to kill it with neglect either. I had an ixora bush last year that I planted by my sidewalk and buried with mulch for winter, but it died after the first hard freeze. I was trying to not have a repeat of that.

• Atharaenea
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here, I got a picture of it. I dunno if a picture will help though...

• tete_a_tete
    9 years ago

I see why you brought it inside. It would not have liked the cold patio.

My imagination can run rampant and I was imagining an acre of lushious garden with many warm pockets, and since it is nearly summer here, I have sort of almost forgotten the cold. Plus we have had the most beautiful rain so I feel positive about the garden.

You've done the right thing by not leaving your Gardenia outside.

Stick with the soil mix that you have and see how it goes. But I do think that it should be watered well, allowed to drain, then not watered again until the pot starts to feel a little light. It can be hard to gauge how much moisture a potted plant holds unless you lift it.

A little mist spray over the leaves will help to keep your plant happy.

• paul_
    9 years ago

The ingredients for a gritty mix are not written in stone. If you are having difficulty finding the recommended materials you can experiment.

Things like chicken grit can be found at most feed stores.

Aquarium gravel can be used (though the colors of most are quite garish) and you might be able to score some for free or cheap on Freecycle, Craigslist, Goodwill (or other thrift stores), or from a friend/relative.

You can use the puffed clay aggrevates like Hydroton/Primagra which is commonly sold at hydroponic stores.

Nurseries MIGHT carry medium grade perlite (though get the stuff without fertilizer added).

If you don't mind ordering stuff online, you can check out places like the one linked below for supplies that could work. (Btw, the site below does not have a shopping cart. Instead you call or email your order in. The older couple who own the business are good folks.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Roberts Flower Supply