Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonpiemom

Dracaena help

MoonpieMom
10 years ago

I recently rescued a roughly 4' tall Dracaena, possibly fragrans (although the leaves are solid green) that had been abandoned in the trash area of our apartment complex. It spent at least an entire day, and possibly a night in the cold. I brought it home, watered it and let it drain. I cleaned off all the leaves and the soil looked to be in decent condition. No bugs or mold. The trunk appears sound.

The leaves are curled lengthwise, rolling up like a cigar, and drooping. There are three shoots off the single trunk...two small and one that is quite elongated with leaves just coming off the last foot of it. Almost all of the leaves have some browning on tips and edges. I cut off 3 leaves that had cracked across the main vein and some that were such an unhealthy color I figured it was just a matter of time before they died anyway.

I have placed it in a draft-free corner where it gets diffuse late afternoon sun. Our apartment stays between 65-70 degrees.

I'd really like to save this plant. I'm wondering if it would be best to prune off the long shoot and let it focus its energy on the two smaller ones. Did the shock of being in the cold weather briefly do it in or is there a chance it will recover if I just leave it alone for awhile? These can be so pretty when they are healthy and full, I hope it can recover.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (3)