Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Help repotting Lime Tree

I have a 'Lime Bearss Seedless' Houseplant needing repotting. I just fertilized it with Seaweed/Fish Emulsion a few days ago. I was hoping someone could advise me on whether I should wait to repot it? Also, what size pot I should use and whether it needs trimming or not?

{{gwi:110686}}

Comments (19)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

If it needs repotting badly, I'd pot up into a slightly larger pot for now, until spring, then do a complete repot, maybe in mid-March into a chunky soil that drains very well. I wouldn't do any significant pruning until then, but you might want to tip-prune (pinch) both the main stem and the single branch now, to force some back-budding and get a start on forcing the plant to fill out.

Al

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Al, that's just what I needed to know. I can do that.

I have long admired your potting mix recipes, but in Massachusetts, I've not been able to find the ingredients, in particular the small size bark mulch. I can only find regular bark mulch. So I use my own mix of peat moss, perlite with some home made compost if I have it and if I don't I just do equal amts of perlite and peat moss. Not ideal I know, not sure how to make it better. I wonder if you have any alternate suggestion?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I second Al's recommendations, and I also hope that Meyer Mike sees your post
    since he lives in Massachusetts and has been making custom citrus mixes for several years now.
    Plenty of materials in Mass.

Josh

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Josh. I did make a good effort to find what I needed, but that was about 2 years ago. So if things have changed that will solve my problem.

11 years ago

What city/town do you live in?

Al

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am near Arlington/Lexington area in MA.

11 years ago

For Turface, copy/paste this to your browser, then enter your zip:

https://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/home/locations.aspx

or

Try this & see if any of the listed businesses are close to you:

http://www.turface.com/distributors/state/

For the grit, call around to RURAL feed stores and ask for Gran-I-Grit in grower size, #2 cherrystone, or Manna Pro.

The bark is where you find it. You would probably need to find a suitably sized pine bark product & screen it, unless you're able to find fir bark in 1/8-1/4" size somewhere. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Like Josh mentioned, maybe Mike will be able to offer some additional info about specific sources.

Al

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tried that johndeerlandscape, but a search of their product list didn't turn up Turface. I went to the Turface website and there is a nursery near me that comes up.

I do visit an Agway once or twice a year, and I can call and ask them if they have that Gran-I-Grit.

Ok....I'll call those places and see if I can get those two items. And I'll be on the look out for Mike to see if he has some secret source for the bark.

Thanks a LOT!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hi Prairiemoon and welcome.

My good friend Al directed me here and quite frankly, I don't know how is missed this one.

I get my ingredients all locally.

The composted bark that is use both in my gritty and 5.1.1 mix is bought at the Agway in Littleton, or Chelmsford. It is Southern Pine Bark and it comes in a blue labeled bag. You have to ask them if they have the small size. Great stuff! You can either use it straight from the bag for the 5.1.1 mix or sift it and use the appropriate size for the gritty mix.

The Grit and Turface I acquire from Dodge Grain in Salem, N.H 603-893-3739

And the fresh uncomposted orchid bark, the perfect size I get from either Tindra's Orchid in Georgetown Ma., or from an orchid supplier in Milford. N.H called Kelly's Corner. I get the bark in big bags for a great price.
    Tindra's -978-697-9746 Kelly's Corner- 603-673-9524

I hope this helps you. Great choice using these mix for sure. I wish you all the luck!

Mike:-)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah....Mike that is the Agway I've been to before. Thanks very much for sharing your sources. I may even grow more potted plants if I can make up a good mix for myself.

Thanks Al, Greenman and Mike! :-)

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

"May grow more" LOL! As soon as you see how great this mix is, you will end up with a jungle like everyone else! ;-)

I have a cutting I need to get in a pot soon. :-)

Best Wishes!
    JoJo

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wonder if there is a thread on the exact recipe for the mix?

Thanks JoJo...you are probably right! lol

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness Prairi, more than you can count!

Just use the 'search' field above and type in 'Tapla soil' and you will get all you need. Here is a start for you. Just find a spot of time and grab a nice cup of coffee and enjoy.

Jojo!!!:-)

Mike:-)

Don't forget, I live so close to you, that if you get the ingredients, I could always visit or you me and I could show you how to make it.

Here is a link that might be useful: A soil discussion

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

I'm so jealous! When are you gonna visit me. ;-)

Hi Prairiemoon...
    Mike would be great help if you need it! I keep trying to talk him into moving to Tucson, I have plenty to keep him busy. lol...

JoJo

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Nice!

Mike to the rescue! Great show, buddy ;-)

Good luck, Prairie!

Josh

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike...what a generous offer to help, thanks so much!!

I'll let you know how things work out. Thanks for that link to the soil discussion. Now that gardening season is just about finished outdoors, there's more time to pay attention to the indoor plants.

Gee, Tucson to MA......the internet certainly brings people closer.

Thanks Josh and JoJo. :-)

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Yes, the internet can bring people closer. :-) Mike was the first friend I made here at Garden Web.

Then he introduced me to Josh and Al. ;-)
    Hi Guys!

your in good hands here, and I know will get all the help you need and can pretty much bet you'll make friends here too. ;-)

JoJo

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike, I just finally found this thread that I was looking for today. I am ready to make some of AlâÂÂs mix for my outdoor containers this year and I couldnâÂÂt remember where you told me to look for the Pine Bark Fines. I tried posting over on the Containers forum and I searched for my thread there and nothing came up. It just occurred to me that I posted on this forum asking about the Pine Bark Fines. [g]

Now I remember that I did find Dodge Grain in Salem last year but I forgot to ask them about the Grit and Turface, I guess I was looking for something else at the time.

Gee it only took me a year and a half to get back to looking for these ingredients. lol

Thanks everyone!

• belmonter
    9 years ago

Hi Prairiemoon - were you able to find the pine bark fines in Mass?
    thanks

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks