Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Maranta Tricolour???

Posted by StewartsJon none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 7:10

I have a slight problem. In 15 years of looking after indoor plants, I've never had Maranta Tricolour get too big - they usually get long and leggy and get replaced long before that. Bear in mind that I do this commercially, so we don't tolerate unhappy plants - they get binned.

So I seem to be a victim of my own success, and these Marantas - which are meant to just wrap elegantly round the bases of the Philos - are now about to hit the carpet. That'll teach me to feed so much I guess!

Any suggestions on the best time to prune? I would have thought Feb/March just before the serious growing recommences.

As for pruning, I guess I just cut the longest bits right back to a joint in the main 'clump'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Maranta Tricolour???

They look great and as for pruning them back, your right on the method, and you can actually trim them back at any time, would love to have your cast offs lol!

This post was edited by katbird on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 2:28

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here