Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sterilize soil after the fact?

Posted by hatrabbit (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 8:06

I started a couple of indoor vegetable plants and did what I now know was a mistake: for soild I just threw in some garden soil, not potting soil. Now the plants are doing OK but I can see bugs living in the dirt. So far I've seen a couple of different looking things... is there a way I can get rid of these pests in the soil without changing the soil in the pots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sterilize soil after the fact?

Those bugs aren't necessarily a problem. Lots of insects live in healthy soil with a lot of organic matter. Vegetables will do better in garden soil, rather than potting soil anyway. I suggest you find out what they are before killing them. They could be beneficial.

o

I agree, They may not be a problem other then you just may not want them in your home.

Another consideration is whether you plan to keep them growing indoors indefinitely or if you're planing to set them out in the garden next spring. It may be best to water them a few times with a neem oil solution with a couple of drops of dish soap mixed in and leave things as is.

If you plan on growing them under lights without transferring them outside you may want to consider growing them in a soil-less mix.

o

Your primary problem will be the fact that you used garden soil for your containers, not the things crawling around in that soil. Garden soil, even GREAT soil, doesn't behave very well when 'incarcerated'. Once garden soil is removed from the vast working system in which it has a role, it turns into air-less, functionless stuff.

Container veggies require the same of their potting medium as any plant: rapid drainage, great porosity, etc.

As to the critters you've also put into captivity...who know what they might be? Most people go to great lengths to rid their containerized plants of such livestock before bringing them inside for the winter just because who wants to start a colony of 6 or 8 or a jillion-legged beasties in the front parlor? (sheesh, the 2 and 4 legged ones are bad enough sometimes)

I'd be sorely tempted to invest in a decent potting medium and repot my plants, if I were in your shoes. What kind are they, by the way? The veggies, not the critters.

If you can possibly get some pictures of the culprits, I can probably identify them for you. At least you'd know if they belong in the 'pest' category or the 'nuisance' category or the 'who cares' category.

o

It's not too late to unpot, and bake your garden soil, or if you plan on using dirt again in the future.

Bake in an oven, 350 for 45 minutes.

But, let me warn you..it stinks. lol.

Baking will rid pests and disease.

After it cools, repot as usual. Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here