Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uncurled, new, browing calathea leaves?

Posted by CJ-Speciosa 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 8:17

So I've had my Cal for quite some time and it's always been one of my favorites. But recently, the new leaves that are coming up are browning along the edges before it even uncurls itself?

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uncurled, new, browing calathea leaves?

Hello CJ,

Are unfurled leaves a soft or crispy brown? Toni

o

They are soft and supple still. It almost looks like they are rotting along the edges. Can it be too moist???

o

Most likely too much moisture. They need well drained soil. If there's too much moisture in the pot and it can't get away you'll get root rot and those types of symptoms.

o

The strange thing is I've always kept it just as wet as it is now. the only thing that has really changed is the dryness in the house as we have started using the heat?

I've felt the new leaves and the brown edges do feel a little dry?

o

See the brown...

o

Here is the other new leave.

o

Hello,

CJ, When I asked if the leaves were soft, I should have been more specific. Sorry about that.

I don't mean soft such as Cal leaves are supposed to be..I meant, soft as in floppy and/or weak.

I agree, prolonged wet soil during short and dark days can cause root rot.
How old is Calathea. You said you've had it quite some time? As in months, years?

Can you up humidity again? If the air is dry, Calathea leaves being so fussy, will eventually cause brown edges and/or centers.
CJ, actually your Calathea is beautiful..There is a little gray on furled leaves..
See how they look once foliage opens.

Hey Tropic............... Toni

o

Toni,

I've been doting over this plant for the past three years and it has grown to be my favorite, I must admit. It really is a beautiful specimen. Which is why I'm worried. I've never seen the unfurled leaves have any damage on them whatsoever. Those are the leaves that are the most perfect when they finally open up.......this is what worries me.

The edges on those new leaves are brown, and a bit crisp. When they finally open up they are going to be scarred.....already!!

The soil is moist, moist moist, as it alwasy is. I keep the saucer full at all times so the soil is always almost wet. That's what kept her llooking so good for all this time.

Somethings changed....the only thing it could be is the forced hot air heat, which we have just put on bc of the weather change......

o

CJ,
I realize I'm chiming in at a late moment, but I think you may have identified your issue... Forced hot air heat. Calatheas enjoy a lot of humidity (which you provide with your tray full of water), but heated air sucks moisture out of the air (some plants don't do well with central heating and air conditioning). Is your ceiling vent close to your plant, meaning, is there a possibility it's blowing not air on your plant? If not, there's still the possibility there's enough hot air to be sucking moisture away from your plant.

As to how to fix that issue, I wish I had the answer for that... I'm not sure if misting would help or possibly create another issue. Do you have a humidifier? Have you has this happen in the past? I know you said you've been doting over it for three years (just wondering, if you've had it so long, if you've had this issue in past winters). Hope this helps.

Planto

o

This is the first year this plant is in this particular spot, as I moved and this corner of the house had become it's home in the spring....April to be exact. So it's never been in this spot, during this time of the year yet.

How would misting create more problems?

The vents are not pointing in its' direction but the air is dry regardless. I do have a humidifier......maybe ill give that a shot??

o

CJ,
My only concern about misting the new leaves is that there may be residual water left in the leaves (since they sort of cup)... maybe that'll cause them to stay too wet and cause further damage? Maybe? Maybe I just have an overactive imagination and misting wouldn't cause any harm. >.> I hope Toni will chime in on this idea.

I've read a number of posts about people having mixed feelings about misting plants (some say it really doesn't raise the humidity long term, some say it does). I think the number one consensus I saw about raising humidity levels permanently, was to have a humidifier. I believe you could try out the humidifier, I don't see it causing any harm to your plant. I believe between the two, I'd rather use the humidifier.

Planto

o

Has it been repotted in 3 years?

o

It has not been repotted. I'm scared to damage it.....

o

I know, I don't repot plants that are doing fine either, usually. This one's having a problem though, and 3 years is a long time to spend in the 'same soil.' The pot looks very small in relation to the plant. I would probably start considering repotting it. After 3 years, I doubt your plant suddenly decided it needed to be misted to improve/stay as healthy as it was.

o

"How would misting create more problems?"

With totally wrong jargon, I'm sure... If a spore from a foliage fungus/disease happens to be on a leaf and misting enables it to 'sprout,' it will infect your plant. Starting on page 13, the info in this .pdf page at NDSU is informative, well written.

IMVHO, misting is more dangerous than the possible benefits. Countless Calatheas (and all other common house plants) live in various indoor environments without it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here