Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limp Peace Lily- please help!!

Posted by Tanesha22 Alabama (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 8:55

I have two PL plants that are limp and has been for about two weeks now. I've watered them and moved them around and they are still the same. Not sure what I can do now to revive.. Any suggestions???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limp Peace Lily- please help!!

Hi Tanesha, welcome to Gardenweb! I'm not sure if you've only had the PL for 2 weeks, or if a problem showed up in that time period for a plant you've had longer.

o

Hi Tanesha22,
You'll get some great help here. :-)
Maybe you could provide the group with as much info as possible so they can better help you.

How long have you had the plant?
What kind of living conditions was it in before going limp?
How much water was it getting and how often?
What kind of soil, and does the pot have drainage hole?
Warm room? cool room? Natural light? feeding it?
Have you re potted it recently?
And maybe a little more in detail in it's care since it went limp.
I know it may seem like a lot, but it's all info that will help the others to help you. :-)
Best wishes..
JoJo

o

I've had one for almost a year. When the leaves started to droop I'd water it and it would spruce right back up. The 2nd one I've had for a few months. I re-potted it and it was doing fine for a while now they are both doing the same thing (limp leaves). Ive changed the location to see if the lighting would make a difference- nothing helps.

For some reason, I am unable to upload a picture. PLEASE HELP!

o

Hi Tanesha,
Lets see if we can figure out how to upload while waiting for someone to chime in on your plant.

Do you have them uploaded to your computer?
Do you see just above where your posting that it says
"""Image file to upload (optional):"""
If you click on the "Browse" button, it should pull up your files, once you browse your files and find the picture you want, just click on it, then hit "open" it should then be in your post, but you wont see it until you view the "Preview"

Does that help you any? I hope so!

If not, can you explain what is happening that your having trouble uploading.

JoJo

o

Have you looked at the roots? It may be having a bad reaction to your tap water in general, and/or getting too much water, and/or waiting too long between waterings, not sure from your description.

o

I put the pots in water and let them soak all day yesterday and what do you know... They are back to life!!! :-D

My next question is how can I keep from having to do that again because one of the pots is heavy.

o

If you had to soak the soil for it to accept water, it had gotten so dry it was hydrophobic. That means the soil is not able to accept moisture. The pot should be heavy when wet, when it becomes lightweight again, you know the soil is dry.

You may want to consider a different type of soil, something more chunky, for your plants that is not composed primarily of peat (assuming your current soil is from what you've described.) Peat is difficult to moisten when dry, takes a long time to dry when you do get it moist (which can cause roots to rot,) and can get packed so tightly in a root ball that there is no air and, as you've seen, is hydrophobic. All of this adds up to being very difficult for plants to survive.

In the meantime, try not to let the plants get to that degree of dryness, but don't go so far in the other direction that they are constantly soggy.

o

Here is how the plants looked before.

o

Those are wilted into what I would consider emergency status.

o

Here is how it looked after i soaked them in water for a day. Now I just got to determine how often to water them.

o

The one on the left looks much better. The one on the right still doesn't look great, but better. All of its' leaves are leaning to the same side, probably toward the light. Do you think it may be too far from the window?

o

I have had my peace lily since 2006. It has been re-potted several times and has generally done well. However, of late it hasn't looked very good. It got burned when a friend took care of it some time ago, but since that time it still hasn't recovered. I was told that the water softener water was probably leaving too much salt and also 'burning' the leaves so I have quit using the indoor water. Still my plant doesn't look very good. The leaves are brown/yellow in many places and there are many 'reedy' roots. Can someone provide some insight?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here