Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clairdo2_gw

Aloe Vera

clairdo2
17 years ago

What am I doing wrong? I cannot grow aloe Vera, it always dies on me before it gets to any size???

Comments (22)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Clair, first, how do you care for your Aloes?
    Aloe, is a succulent plant that dislikes too much water. Soil needs to dry between waterings, especially in winter. They prefer bright light to full sun. If you can place one outside in summer the better.
    Soggy soil is the number one killer. A well-draining sandy soil works best. Even cactus soil.
    What type of soil do you use? Did you repot? If so, did you use too large a pot? What type of sun/light did you supply? What type of pot?
    I find clay pots work best. Toni

• naturelover_mtl
    17 years ago

Hi Clair, don't worry too much. I'm on my third (or is it 4th or 5th?) Aloe. I always swear I'll never buy another one and when enough time passes and the bad memory fades, I pick up another. My most recent one is doing wonderfully, so maybe there's finally some hope!

What I've learned over the years is that Aloe will die because of two reasons - too much water and not enough light (just like Toni says above).

What happens with your plant? Do the leaves turn to mush? Do they dry up and die? What type of soil do you use? Pot? Where to you place it? North, east, west, south location? If you write in a few details, I have no doubt that all the nice people on this board will help you out!

• clairdo2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will try again and plant it in cactus soil. I did transplant in a ver big pot, so do you go just a bit bigger when you transplant?

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Hi Clair,

No you don't, not for succulents anyway, of which Aloe is one. Maybe that's your problem, too big a pot. A good cactus soil w/ extra perlite (or pumice if you can get it), no sand, just maybe 30% more perlite will be good.

Generally (for succulents), one pots up only 1 size larger, that's to say abt 1" bigger than the rootball. Too large a pot will help kill the plant, soil stays wet too long, inducing rot.

If you tend to overwater these, you may have better luck using an unglazed clay pot (rather than plastic), make sure it has a drainage hole. Don't water it in if you change the pot again. This plants can suvive underwatering much better than overwatering, so when it doubt, DON'T water. Give it the best light you've got.

For more info., pls go to Cactus & Succulent Forum of GW & read the FAQs abt Aloes.

• chad_la
    17 years ago

ive got an aloe vera ive had for some 20 years now and is a prolific spreader. my "mother plant" (not the original) puts off 20 or 30 babies a year. the bigger the pot, the more new plants emerge. every year i divide them all out in common houseplant soil and by years end they need dividing too. so many plants per pot that division is mandatory. kinda become a chore.

ive planted them in everything from clay pots, plastic landscaping containers, coffee cans, etc etc and only once have i ever used succulent type potting mix. one year i even used the nappy clay dirt by my driveway to divide them out and they all grew fine.

the current crop are all direct descendents from one plant given to me long ago. mother and a few babies ill keep the rest will be given out as xmas gifts. on a shelf by a south facing window, watered once a week along with the rest of all my houseplants.

i really wish my african soap aloe's would grow half as much as these.

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

Quick note: There is a huge difference between growing anything in Ontario, Canada and Texas. Sandy

• lucy
    17 years ago

One way to help water drain faster is to add handfuls of grit (perlite, or that tiny gravel sold for aquariums (not the big painted kind) to the soil - all mixed up together, and never let the plant's pot sit in 'drain' water.

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

Is the aloe that you are talking about the common aloe that really is not an aloe.

I have one...I mean many as I have several pots of babies. I think I under water mine. What would be the sign of underwatering? I keep trying to grow a perfect speciman but the bottom leaves tend to get weak and sort of fold or bend.

• amy_in_bmore
    17 years ago

I just repotted my Grandma's aloe. It had so many plants in one pot - total of 11 (she is 97 and hasn't be able to do it for a very long time). I am new at taking care of the aloes so I am fretting about them. I repotted with regular potting soil and I put them in the clay pots according to their size. I gave them alittle water afterwards. Since then, one small and one large have arms that have become bent and I don't know why. Can anyone tell me why? I feel like some of their arms are hollow-like and I want to give more water but all I read is that too much water is worse than too little. Can someone tell me what to do? They have plenty of light...

Help the new Aloe mommy....

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Repotted plants need to be watered in very well, to insure that the roots get all settled in properly. The repotting process can create air pockets, a sure way to kill roots. The symptoms you describe 'could' be due to the root system being too dry, or dry pockets. What do you think?

As long as your potting soil is a fast draining one, you need have NO fear of drenching plants on watering day. Just make sure that everything dries out well inbetween those days.

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

Wait a minute. Are you sure about that rhizo. With cacti I thought you should not water when you repot. But maybe that is just for things like a jade leaf that does not have roots anyway. Amy, I know exactly what you are talking about. So maybe this is a symptom of underwatering.

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

Check this out
    http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/cacti/2000073249017614.html

I often wonder if my water has something in it that some plants don't like. I should consistantly save rain water-but I don't

• rjm710
    17 years ago

Pirate Girl's advice is correct; treat your Aloe much like you might a cactus. If taking a cutting, or repotting, do NOT water for a week or two, especially at this time of year. Most of my Aloes (I have over 50 varieties) get very little, if any water from now until spring. Even while they are in active growth, the soil should dry out between waterings. And don't worry about air pockets with succulents. I once had an Aloe vera in a closed paper bag (unpotted, and with no soil) for over 6 months. When I found it, I potted it up, waited for a couple of weeks before watering (and then only very little), and it survived and grew again. My plants get rain water when I leave them outside during frost free weather, but don't worry about your water if you use the tap.
    Good growing to all of you!

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Thx for the back-up on this RJM.

Rhizo, if you're really worried abt air pockets, do what I do. I've gotten in the habit, anytime I repot: when done, before watering in (if a non-succulent), I bang the pot on the table top a good, hard wack or two. This helps settle the soil, fill in any air pockets & I don't have to rely on watering in to do so. Also (maybe my imagination), but I like to think this makes for the best contact btwn the rootball & the mix.

• mandi_s1
    17 years ago

I'm no pro, but I've nearly killed and subsequently rescued my poor aloe cutting about 3 times over the course of the last few months. It was a throw away from a nursery, and a remedial baby to begin with, but all the same.

I think my kids inadvertantly helped by breaking off about half the tips of the 'leaves ?' this summer, which deemed to have gotten it going.

I found it got much happier when I stopped watering it, and just used a spray bottle to mist it, and wet down the surface of the dirt in the pot.

It was the compromise we came up with since it's harder to rember to water plants less often of different days as to water them all different ammounts on the same day.

For me anyways.

• mrbrownthumb
    17 years ago

I bang the pot on the table top a good, hard wack or two.

Along with that back during my bonsai days I got in the habit of using chopsticks. You take the chopstick and insert it in the soil near the roots and move it in a gentle circular fashion. For smaller pots and root masses I use a wooden skewer.

• emc1972
    17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a 8-10 yr old aloe that has been 'tipping' over for the last couple of years. Recently 4 new shoots have popped up that are about 5 inches high each now. I'm wanting to take the babies and repot and get rid of the parent that isn't looking so good now. I've never done this before and am wondering how deep in the soil I should place the cuttings? And any other advice on actually taking the cuttings would be appreciated too. I have no idea what I'm doing!!!!! Please feel free to email me ANY advice, I sure need it. finchfrenzy@yahoo.com

• tootswisc
    17 years ago

MBT-I use the chopstick approach also.

emc-if you are going to get rid of the parent, pop the whole plant out of its pot then gently separate the plant-you may want to cut it apart with a sharp knife. You can replant it in a cactus mix. You don't want to use a big pot as this plant likes to be root bound. Keep in mind that if your plant is happy, it will produce babies so you might want to put just one plant in a pot. Don't water it for a few days after repotting. Once you do water, you can pack the soil a bit around the plant

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Repot the babies (called pups) to the same depth of mix as they're in now. You could also put them all together in the same pot, as long as it's pretty small. The advice given above is also good.

Just so you know (I guess you're new, so welcome), generally it's best to post a new & separate question on its own thread (not an existing thread), often gets better & sometimes quicker responses.

Also, FYI, we don't generally EMail responses to people privately. It's up to the person asking the question to come back here & check for responses. Good luck w/ the plants.

• fig8taz
    17 years ago

I just inherited an aloe vera plant that's growing all over the place -- in transport there were some leaves that broke off-- from what I am reading-- I have no green thumb whatsoever-- I should NOT have put the broken off ones into H20 to get roots is this right?? --this is what I did-- any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to loose the plant as it means alot to me.

• rjm710
    17 years ago

Aloe leaves will not normally root from leaves. It is easiest to propagate by pups, or offsets, and stem cuttings will often work, if dried and calloused before planting. Spring is the best time for most species to do this. If you have a pup or stem, allow it to dry for several days, then you may put it in dry soil, and do not water for at least a few more days, and then, only lightly. When you see new growth, you may increase watering (a little bit - remember, it's a succulent!).

• angie1976
    15 years ago

I recently got a few Aloe Vera plants. The first 3 aren't doing so well. I have a baby one that is in a small clay pot and two that are the same size(about medium sized). When I got them, they were almost on deaths door, and I haven't been able to "cheer" them up. They are all still limp and mushy. They are in my livingroom in front of a big 6-7ft window. When I brought them home, I put the soil(reg. house plant soil), and put about 2 cups of water in the larger plants and about 1 cup in the smaller one. I have had them about 4 weeks now, and no change yet.
    After I got the 3 news ones(which look healthier), I put about an inch to 2inches of rocks at the bottom of the pot before putting the soil in it. They are out on my back patio, which I hope they will do better than the ones in my living room.
    I was wanting to know if I am doing the right thing for them. This is my first time having Aloe Vera plants and just wanting some information. Thank you for you time!!!!!