Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In the ground

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 9:49

Wondering how much better plants would do if they were allowed to grow in the ground all summer instead of a pot. Any time I put a piece of something in the ground, the difference is amazing. Wonder if just burying the pots in the ground would make a similar difference. What do you think about it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In the ground

Yea some plants would shoot up in the garden, but it depends on your climate. Might be too wet/windy/dry for some plants.
Also leaves will be exposed to caterpillars for munching, not to mention slugs and snails. But in general it can give em a boost.

o

Morning Purple,

Goog question. If we could keep our plants planted directly in-ground, they'd take off.

One of my favorite authors, original Victory Garden's host, James Underwood Crockett, has a section in his House Plant book about placing house plants in-ground.

He digs/dug, 'Mr. Crockett is now in heaven,' a trench, placed potted plants in the trench, then surrouned each inserted plant with peat. I can't recall if he said loose moss or sheets, would have to dig out the book.

I think plants would do fantastic in-ground, but then we'd have to worry about SPIDERS, earwigs, ants and every other insect known and unknown to man.

Plants do fantastic outside above ground, imagine how they'd do in the earth.

Toni

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 12:21

The most significant plus that comes from putting plants in the ground while still in their pots comes from the fact that the practice virtually eliminates the limitations imposed by perched water tables in pots partially buried in all but heavy clay soils. Then, the limiting effect of tight roots are partially relieved as roots run out of the drain holes into the surrounding soil. Finally, temperature extremes that would normally limit the plant because they are higher/lower than ideal are buffered by the temperature of mother earth. There are other positives, but I think those are the major 3 reasons.

I've said many times before, that how proficient we are as growers can be measured in our ability to eliminate or reduce the limiting effects so often associated with container culture. The amount of difference we see between plants growing in the ground (or in the ground while still in containers) vs those growing conventionally in containers is a good indication of how much potential there is for improvement in our practices.

I don't harp much on soil temperatures here because it's 'houseplants' and our soil temperatures are usually close enough to the plant's preferred range that little issue exists. On the other hand, I DO harp a LOT on root congestion, and especially the effects of perched water or excess water retention because ameliorating these issues offers the grower an important opportunity to reduce the effects of those limiting factors.

For all of us, the greater the difference between how a plant performs in the ground vs how it performs for the individual in containers, is a reliable indicator of how much work we have to do .... or, put another way, how much potential we have yet to claim.

Al

o

I think I'm going to do this for a lot of plants, it would be interesting for sure, a most unusual landscape, and I have plenty of room with various exposures to play with. I just started wondering why only Coleus, maybe some wax Begonias only usually get this special treatment. Felt like a light bulb going on. Why should I wrestle these pots for so long?

Yes, I know I'll almost certainly dig up some critters, they're in the pots anyway.

I just can't decide for some stuff with hard, woody roots, if it would be better to plant them without pots. Probably less lost roots when they get shoveled up later than what I do for a regular repot...

o

So, it's time to get real and make a list, check it twice...

various Aglaonemas
Alocasia African mask, hates being in a pot
Alternanthera atropurpurea, never looks like the plants in the ground in pics
Anthurium - always looks chlorotic
various Begonias
Calathea (ornata?)
Callisia fragrans 1
Cordyline fruticosa
Dieffenbachia
Dracaena fragrans, corn plant 2
Dracaena sanderiana, lucky bamboo - wants to get wild & lucky
Dracaena surculosa (godseffiana) Florida beauty - totally bored with its' pot
Fittonia argyroneura - sending me subliminal messages
Gynura, purple velvet - it's due to die anyway, right? LOL!
Philodendron scandens, heart-leaf 3
Sansevieria trifasciata
Schefflera arbicola

1 Callisia fragrans - I did this one already last year. The plant I dug up is so much "better" than the mama.

2 corn plant - I'd like my plant (a short tip cutting) to grow like crazy all summer but worry about digging this one back up. As a tree, I'd expect it to make some roots way too deep to keep, but wouldn't mind the work if I get some votes of confidence about reducing it to fit in a 5-gallon bucket sometime in November. Isn't this similar to how "balled and burlapped" shrubs and trees are handled?

I have other Dracs I might experiment with also, having multiple copies, since they are such a finicky bunch in pots, but this one in particular I think would be worth it to see if it can be encouraged to become as big, vigorous, and healthy as possible, so maybe it will make those reputedly wonderfully fragrant flowers sometime before I croak...

3 heart-leaf Philo - One of the few experiments I've not yet done with this one, wonder how high it can climb up an oak or pecan tree before frost?

What do you think about these ideas?

Does anyone see any potential invasiveness problems (besides the Callisia, which I'm aware of?) I don't want to end up having to dig up an unwanted patch of some overly exuberant exotic invasive in a couple years, like spider plant, no matter how much I might like the plant. I'm expecting all of these to be killed if I don't remove them from the ground and back into pots before (a real) winter, or be barely clinging to life if they do make it.

o

I'm curious to see how your Calathea and Lucky Bamboo do outside in the ground.

For me, both of those suffer immensely when I put them outside in their containers -- shade or sun, cold or warm, windy or calm -- and are even picky in the house about where I put them. Thankfully, both recover nicely too, with a little time, but if there is one plant I don't much like in my house right now, it's the Calathea ornata. She's like that really whiny (but very tall) crybaby in the corner, LOL. She is also the only one that continues to develop fungus gnats -- which drive me insane (hence, her trips outside and back over and over again).

Do keep us updated and once you get them outside in the ground - photos!!

o

Something to be aware of are the soil critters that will invade your pots. I sink my poinsettias in the ground and when I lift them in the fall I submerge the pots in water overnight. A bit of old window screening cut to form and weighted down keeps the soil in place. Doesn't hurt the poinsettias, I can't speak about your plant list.

tj

o

Hi Purple,

I used to plant my rubber plant in the round, pot and all, in the summer in Lincoln, Nebraska. It did wonderfully. It did much better than it did the summer before just leaving the pot above ground.

o
RE: In the ground2

Yes, soil critters can be a problem. I wound up with slugs in my rubber plant pot. I guess you need to know what's in your soil. I would say soil mealy bugs is probably the worst. That's just my opinion though.

o

Thanks for the inputs!

Sugi, I'm nervous about placement too. Some of these plants are pretty new to me. I'm sure I'll err on the side of caution, mostly shade, for most. Any plant that doesn't like humidity is going to be in trouble, whether in a pot or not. I think the cooler soil will be good for some plants, IDK...

Thanks, Tsuga. I get critters in pots just sitting on the front porch, usually ants but plenty of others too. A few things might get sunk in the ground with their pots, but most will just be going commando. When I dig them up, I'll probably rinse roots completely before potting up to come inside. Might end up being easier than trying to evict critters from pots, or I may end up here cussing my stupidity in November... I'll keep it real and report the failures too.

Larry, until recently, I wouldn't have thought submerging pots in soil would be any different than having them sitting on any other surface. BUT since I can't stop buying plants even though there's NO MORE ROOM by the windows, some of them sit on my bed all day. When I water plants, I let them drip out in the sink, then tilt the pot in a bowl for at least 10-20 mins, until no more water will drip out. Then I kind of do a dropping motion with the pot, to see if any more drips will come out. But sitting pots on the bed leaches more water from moist pots, even if they haven't been watered for a couple days. So it's logical that submerging pots would have a much more dramatic and positive effect on drainage than I was thinking it would, and your anecdote seems evidence of that too. So just for the ease of removing when it's time, plants that are really trees or shrubs, with woody roots, will probably get planted in their pots. The others seem like they would be very easy to dig back up.

I would love to find some slugs to feed to the anoles. Soil mealies sound like a problem. Hope those don't show up! Thanks for the warning.

o

I've started doing this, here's some Aglaonema.

o

Various Begonias in front of Coleus & Perilla.

o

To the right of the above pic, heart-leaf Philo, a different Aglaonema, wax Begonias, Cissus discolor vine. In the pot on the right is a bunch of Tradescantia fluminensis I found covering a huge area under some old Azaleas at an empty house.

o

Some Sans'es.

Nothing planted with a pot so far, all commando.

o

... wow.

I think I'd be afraid of crazy spreading problems!

o

Hey Purple,

You are so lucky.
Presumably, it's safe planting tropicals in-ground so soon after winter?
I gather, there's no chance of frost?

Purple, your garden looks fantastic. Imagine how nice it'll be in a month or two, when plants are well-establish.

I doubt plants you've set in the ground, 'except, possibly Coleus,' will produce long, deep, massive roots.
In other words, too large for containers, previously potted in.

Are Coleus and Perilla plants you over-wintered in water?

o

Hello to all!!!

Hello Tiffany..Now I have a question, a few in fact?

What will you do when it's time to take them out from teh ground and you have to cut off all the roots that have found their way into the ground?
Will this shock a plant that was doing so good?
If you are left to cut off all the roots that got away, what happens with all the top growth that is missing the roots that once supported that?
Will you use a pest killer before bringing them in?
How will you kill the critter in the pots?

I once did this with a Fig tree. I actually only buried it 1/3 of the way down to just stop the wind from blowing it over, and it seems that more than half its root grew into the ground.
When I cut them all off, the following season, it took all summer for it to recover.

Just curious now that you got me thinking...I know there are advatages, but there are also disadvantages too.

Hope you are well. I have been sick and I will write you soon:-)

Mike

o

Hey Toni, technically it could still frost, unlikely and not predicted. Calendar says it's spring, windows are open! Yes, those are overwintered pieces.

Mike, sorry you've been under the weather, bet it's the weather!!

"What will you do when it's time to take them out from teh ground and you have to cut off all the roots that have found their way into the ground?"
Some stuff I think will just pull up, others I might need a shovel. I don't intend to save every bit of every plant. Some I will just take cuttings, the same special treatment usually only awarded to Coleus and a select few other "tropical annuals" that are really perennials. Some I will just snap/cut pieces off.

"Will this shock a plant that was doing so good?"
No more than repotting would, and plants will be quite robust, assuming I'm not terribly off about placement.

"If you are left to cut off all the roots that got away, what happens with all the top growth that is missing the roots that once supported that?"
A few leaves may be sacrificed, a nice pot of fresh soil should help ease any pain. One thing all of the selected plants have in common is being easy to propagate. Why should a partial root system be less able to recover than a cutting without roots at all? I don't think it would, not worried.

Cissus discolor is one I haven't had before and in the ground, so starting from scratch learning this one - both ways.

"Will you use a pest killer before bringing them in?"
No way! I will rinse roots and probably bring in way fewer pests than the number of existing pots from previous years.

"How will you kill the critter in the pots?"
I usually don't unless there are ants or I see a spider. That just leaves worms which are welcome.

I won't be doing this with any substantially-sized woodies, at least not commando, I would bury those with pots so the roots that travel past that area aren't a large portion of the overall roots, and would probably repot first as well, so the pot has plenty of room before the roots even get to the holes.

Also blessed with a lot more hours of sun during winter than folks up north, so it's not such a shock when plants come inside.

"Just curious now that you got me thinking...I know there are advatages, but there are also disadvantages too." No doubt. Obviously this will be a little more work than just picking up pots and walking them inside. Or it might be easier if I'm just snapping things off at ground level. It's a big experiment.

o

Once in a while, Ma Nature gets PMS or something and commands her evil son, Jack Frost, to visit places at the last possible date. Like the last week of March at the FL border. Otherwise, the "last danger of frost date" would move back where it "should be," where it is most years. So THREE mornings of Jack's antics left some serious destruction here, and some naked evidence about hardiness for some plants.

Just to give anybody who feels like it the opportunity to say, "I told you so," here to report on frost bite, and the ephemeral qualities of a 10-day forecast. I scrambled to bring most pots back in, but some stuff already put in the ground was left to its' own devices. I ain't too proud to describe in detail how unbridled enthusiasm (worse than Billy Mumford) has so far led only to mayhem.

Zapped but still alive and doing their best to grow back:
Gynura (purple velvet)
Cissus discolor (Rex Begonia vine)
some Coleus cuttings. Most were still inside waiting for the pecan tree to make leaves/shade.
some Sans trifasciata leaves
Callisia fragrans I've been weaving up the arms of its' hanging basket all winter.
Cane Begonias lost some leaves, but as expected, have responded with double the number of new tips.
Thanksgiving cactus, a few edges singed
The dumb Trad zebrina that I put up with inside all winter so some pots could get a faster start, now almost even with the left-outside-all-winter pots. Doh!

Still unsure, may be dead:
Tradescantia spathaces, rooted cuttings in washtub planter
Pseuderanthemum atropurpurea (purple perfection)
Cordyline fruticosa (rooted cuttings that were planted still firm at base, but leaves are toast)
NOID Philo with giant burgundy leaves. Forgot this was outside, knew it was not frost-hardy. Since it was hanging in a tree, hard to know if it completely froze or just the leaves. As an extremely slow-growing plant, it could be weeks before I can tell. Luckily I have other parts in other pots, but the big inch-thick stems on this had huge leaves.

Pleasant surprises:
Three diff Aglaonemas made it through with only slight damage on a few leaf edges.
Easter cactus actually seemed to like it, now has about 9 buds.
Drac marginata 'tricolor' rooted cutting - looked fine until our dog managed to step on it, despite magical protective rock ring.
Tradescantia 'Red Hill' of dubious EA lineage... still flowering profusely, unaffected at all.

I think that's everybody involved in the rocky start to this thing. Not looking for any sympathy (but will gladly accept any good vibes for possible recoveries.) None is deserved, just reporting on the experiment, as promised.

I've been back out there, doing it again, most of this stuff had back-ups. Kinda stuck now, waiting for pecan tree to make shade, it's still naked. Putting on my optimism pants and climbing back on that horse, making hay while the sun shines and lemonade out of lemons. Will report on new progress soon, and some pics of the aftermath.

o

Hey Purp!

Maybe there is no cause for alarm,but don't pecan trees produce juglone like walnuts and hickories(which are related)?

o

They do, but the (much less) measurable quantities are in the leaves, sticks, hulls, not so much in the roots or root zone, but of course that's also the debris zone. What's sensitive?

o

Well, good vibes to you! I know I'm chomping at the bit this year. Up o'er in AR, we've had nights in the 50s/60s followed by dips into the 20s . . . so, no "told you so" from me. I'd be in a similar boat if I my laziness didn't overwhelm my desire to drag things out there. :D

Super excited to see how this goes, though. Thanks for being a hardiness guinea pig.

o

Hoping no more temp dips come your way! Feel better, plants! I appreciate the experiment update

o

well, I think you'll have an enormous amt of work in the fall digging it all up and cleaning and repotting. and I think it'll be more of a shock then reg repot and root pruning: 'cause it's also light/humidity change and serious root-prune with too much overgrown foliage to support.
but it might be a good way of propagating: if young plants don't succumb to pests, they might grow much faster. it's easier to pot/clean small plants. with big ones i wouldn't do it: too much of a chance of smth going wrong.
I did put Mandevillea in the pot in the ground once, buried pot and all. since it was clay soil and heavy rains i dug a larger pit and filled with gravel for drainage. it did very well, not counting excessive slug and grass hopper damage (with daily slug hunts for me). i lifted it easily in the fall and put systemic on it: no insects for me in the house.
you could actually cut the bottoms of plastic pots off and bury the pot: less watering, easier lifting: only roots on the bottom, provided the plants you're xfering actually can stand wetter conditions in the ground and heat. i think that's what they do with young bonsai trees to help them grow the first sev years.
you could do an elevated bed: put a bunch of pots with some distance in between and bury with loose soil/filler - all the way or halfway - it'll need much less water then above ground and roots are cooler in the heat. and then just lift them, the bottom roots easily cut off with the blade.
much less work then in situ.
if you have a lot of house plants and 'used up medium' you could use that as a filler - lighter then reg soil.

o

Hey, Petruska. Thanks for taking the time to share these thoughtful suggestions! You make some very valid points.

o

:) .. i take planting experiments seriously.

o

Thumbs up to that!

Here's most of what's visible today (as in some of the things are still unknown... tiny spots of life at ground level on some, probably some fatalities.) With the weather, everything's way behind, going really slowly with all of the clouds and taking forever to warm back up.

This is where Rex Begonia vine (Cissus discolor) WAS growing up the fishing line. Definitely still alive, but will be a while growing back from the ground, until it's back like it was.

Two kinds of Aglaonema. The red one is almost horizontal because it had a lot of promising-looking nodes along the stem. Hoping they all sprout into new tops. Scented Pelargonium got frosted but has a new shoot.

I'm not sure if these Ags are taking a while to manifest frost bite, or are getting sunburned. Going to move these if it turns out to be sunburn, waiting to see what a new leaf does, and a tree nearby wasn't leafed-out when I put them there, so it's more shady now. Planted amongst Oxalis.

By now it's obvious exactly where the damage is on Sans leaves, apparently completely arbitrary. The one plant in the middle is fine. So strange! Will trim the dead ones soon. Closest to the foreground is Talinum paniculatum. All the way to the left is an Aglaonema modestum, Oxalis against the fence at the back, the other 2 green lumps are Hydrangea. The dead "stick" in the middle is attached to still-alive Persian shield, so reminds me not to step on it until it grows enough to see.

o

looks sad, purple. you could've waited a few weeks longer to plant. if you wanted to acclimate some plants and see how they take the sun, you could've just put the pots out in beds or half dug.
I have some cold tolerance on my plants:
Aloe 28 to 23 degrees ,Amaryllis 28 to 23 degrees
Citrus 28 to 23 degrees ,Coleus 32 to 28 degrees,
Croton 32 to 28 degrees, cyclamen persicum(florist) to 30f
Elephant Ears 32 to 28 degrees, Jade minor frost 30-32F
Spider Plant 28 to 23 degrees.
if you search on florida forums for frost - people post what survives and regrows - since they grow tropical in situ it's very useful to check there.
I am surprised about sansi: it proly was not acclimated, it went from very cosy indoors into cold and wet ground.
here's some nice info on outdoors sansi: key is to keep it very dry, but some survives frosts in socal apparently, need to be planted near rocks/pavement for warmth.
look at daves , in guides, intro to sansi (I can't post a link, apparently).

o

Of course I could have waited. It was 80 degrees when I planted, lows for the 10-day forecast in the mid-50's & higher, as is usual for mid-March, a month later than I usually start such activities here.

I very much appreciate what I believe to be your sincere efforts to provide helpful info, but I'm left thinking you didn't read the discussion. I'm sorry this is kind of cranky and nowhere near finished, that's a pet peeve of mine. There was no intention to expose plants to frost, and I trust the hardiness info about them that is already well established. Nobody needs me to stick these plants outside to see how they react to frost, and I could have covered some things with a sheet, but didn't. I'm not trying to give advice or make scientific findings, just decorating with what I can part with if things go wrong. The weather just went screwy this year.

This is supposed to be about what the plants do without restraint, and using them for decoration, not just sitting around futzing with everything always in pots and the fussing over drainage, being potbound, PH, fertilizer. Like I said above, many of these plants could be treated the same as Coleus for much more interesting "annual displays" and I just don't have room on the porch for all of them. I wasn't happy with the status quo, feeling at the mercy of the needs of all of these potted plants, and this is what I'm doing about it, reversing the situation.

I've had that Sans for 20 years and have done a lot worse to it. It's in other spots in the yard, as well as other pots. I didn't just run out and stick all of my house plants in the ground, and with just a couple exceptions, none of what was planted was even the "mama" plants, just stuff propagated during winter boredom.

o

sheesh! I did not read ALL of it - but I looked at pics and understood what you were doing.
still, who likes to see their plants die? even if they are small? and extras.
you are playing. so far you have a set back.
I use plants for decoration ALL the time. I do not fuss with PH/repotting/etc, believe it or not. and not planning to in the future: got too many other things to do.
you surely reversed the situation by getting rid of some of them ;).
all i'm saying, perhaps a little planning could've prevented the die back and frustration.

o

Somehow I get the impression that you're not frustraited,Purp...I mean you knew the risks and oh well,right?

Besides it isn't like everything you put out got buried in snow. :)

o

"you surely reversed the situation by getting rid of some of them ;)" Now that's funny! I like it!

I am a bit frustrated, and cranky. I readily admit the science has gotten more mad than I intended. Thanks for bearing with me and hearing me out. Ended up with a good chuckle too.

o

For what it's worth, I am cranky, too! Think it's that time when early starters get a bit fed up with 3 months of prepping, and is ready to just maintain rather than growing new life, figuring out the weather, or waiting for things to grow already. Much like I will feel in August when I am tired of watering and be out of the sun, haha. I remember each Aug/September, I would vow to never plant anything again only to begin getting the itch come the end of December.

I am un-pleasable. (That IS a word. Now.)

Grace

o

Frost-bitten Sans are recovering well,

new pups,

New growth from these existing rosettes,

Aglaonemas like that the elephant ears are making more shade over them,

A ton of different plants here, kind of a nursery spot for cuttings...

This spot described before...

Hemigraphis, purple waffle plant, planted just before I went on vacation, luckily it rained.

Stapelia, became very unhappy in its' pot, looking much better after being in the ground for about a month,

Ledebouria socialis is blooming, of course the area got more shady than I could picture - a thing I do so often,

Anyone else let any plants loose this summer?

o

at the moment,wandering jew,setcreasia purpurea,,alocasia macrorhiza,an alocasia amazonica(african mask),and quite possibly another or two I can't think of right now.

....OH yeah...a ficus benjamina cutting that seems to have taken long after forgotten. Happy surprises! :)

o

Love putting tropical plants in the soil! Let them be free.

So far I put 2 small croton petra, havent put out a flush of new growth yet, wax begonias, various coleus, some do well a lot have died from too much shade and neglect. I planted some coleus while it was 80's in early may late april and suddenly we had a cold spell and the hostas filled in above them so the poor things died. The coleus I planted now in the ground (wizard pineapple) Is doing well!

I also planted my Musa Basjoo tree in the ground, I know its supposed to be hardy but I did overwinter it this past winter but its doing very well in the ground and gets quite a bit of shade. :D

would love to here more from everyone

o

I think these are 2 flower buds on Aglaonema. Will know soon.

o

Beautiful! :D purple have you ever tried experimenting with zone 9 plants? If I was a zone 8b I would definitely be trying bougainvillea and other tropicals like that in the ground :D

o

Purple, Awesome!!!

I didn't know you had varieaged Waffle.

What a collection! All your plants are doing fantastic and beautiful..

I can't believe colors and patterns on your Begonia discolor.
At least I think it's B. discolor.

I have a question for you.

Come autumn, will you lift, place in containers then bring indoors?

If so, do you not find ants/spiders, and other creepy crawlers? lol.

o

I Do think plants do better buried pot and all. I know New york is not Alabama warm but we boast a fairly nlong summer and seemingly mild winter here. The summertime is ideal for houseplants. All of the plants outside are taking off. Hreris a list of plants of mines loving the outside

Spider plants
C cactus
T cactus
Tradescantia purpereum, T zebrina
Angel winged begonias
Epiphyllum

o

Delrey, I planted a Bougainvillea 4 years ago and it's never bloomed. Some interesting things have overwintered though, Syngonium, heart-leaf Philo, Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus.)

Toni, just picked up that waffle plant about 6 weeks ago. For some of these, I'll just take cuttings. For others, I'm going to just scoop them out and sit the root balls in a pot for the 3 months or so they need to be inside. There's nothing unusual or sentimental about most of these plants, and I don't have room for as many copies of each of some of these.

If there are ants, I'll see them swarm when I stick a shovel i the dirt. I imagine a few things might crawl out of the pots once inside, but if something does, we'll just put it back outside. I know that probably gives you the heebie jeebies, sorry!

Teen, glad you and your plants are enjoying summer! None of mine are buried with a pot since I wanted to see what they would do with no restrictions, but that method would make them easier to retrieve later. I think Tradescantia purpurea should be T. pallida.

It's been pleasant having so many fewer pots this summer, although there are still a ton of them.

This post was edited by purpleinopp on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 16:28

o

hmm no bloom thats interesting, make sure its in full sun and is dry. I have one -raspberry ice- in a pot and I have never watered it and it is about to bloom. They also like to be pot bound, keep it very root bound if you can.

Wow persian shield overwintering thats awesome! would love to have that type of climate where there is a slight possibility of overwintering.

I also agree with the non-pot burying method. Its nice to just let the roots grow free. For me however the indoor winter period is about 5-6 months so I will eventually have to pot all the roots up that have been growing freely.

Love the pictures thank you so much for this thread

o

That silly Bougainvillea is in the ground since I got it, it's been through drought, now monsoon... It's in the sun from sunrise to sundown. I couldn't possibly ignore it more unless I simply don't look in that direction. I never do anything to it except guide the stems in a generally upward direction.

There's pics of the Persian shield over the past year in this discussion.

I don't think there's a right or wrong as far as burying pots or not. I'd anticipated drought again like the past 2 summers so that was a big factor in my decision to plant them naked. I'd envisioned myself trying to water pots in the ground, which wouldn't save any time, or give plants the break from being in a pot. Also, lazy. I didn't want to dig holes that big ;)

I know I only put one tiny fern here last June and not only has it survived, it's multiplied, likely because of the mild winter. I don't think these ferns are usually hardy here. (There's an avocado sprout in the middle. Definitely going to dig that up in hopes that it will survive winter in the house.)

See how there are big empty spots? Couldn't find many plants worth buying for some relatively new areas reclaimed from grass. I'm so sick of the weeds and same old boring plants at the stores. If I want more of what I already have, I can just propagate it. Going to plan to have many more "tropicAnnuals" ready for next year. I'd rather look at interesting leaves for most of the year than a few annual flowers for a short time, cheaper too.

The tiny green leaves to the right are Callisia repens.

o

Howdy,

Purp, do you know which Boug you have?
If you like Bougs, try Raspberry Ice. RI goes dormant in winter, 'about two months,' but new leaves sprout late Feb. RI likes cool conditions, and tend to bloom when temps are in the 70's-80's.

Love your variegated Waffle. Don't think I ever saw variegated or can't recall if I did.

Ohhh, you lift a thick-bodied-leg spider and place outside!! Goose bumps and tummy tingles.

BTW, we 'finally' went garden/plant shopping.
Because winter was super freezing, we lost our Flowering Cabbage/Kale after 3/4 years.

Dh, knows very few plants by name. He saw one plant marked, Flowering Cabbage.
I wondered why he'd add to our cart, but didn't question him.

Here's the plant marked Flowering Cabbage!

Alocasia & Morning Glory

I believe it's Alocasia, but not certain. I don't need more hose plants, but if it's an Alo, I don't want it freezing either.

I made a mistake too.
The two variegated plants in the pot with ? were marked double-flower Petunias. So, I bought two..They are pretty.
As I dug the soil to add the 'petunias' in the pot, there was a second tag marked variegated Morning Glory. lol
Annual.

Next year, if all is well, I'm going to draw plans like I did in the past.

o

I wish some of you with ground space were local to me. I'm pulling perfectly healthy plants left and right today to cut down on space. I'd even go plant it for you, haha.

Bougainvillea is the one plant that reliably loves the Bay Area and our cooler but sunny temps. I only water mine on the days I'm not fertigating, which means once a week or so. (We do not really know what rain is here.) Dry, sunny and cool seems to be what it likes best. When I bought the one I just photographed below, I root pruned it severely and thought it was a goner based on how much it sulked and dropped leaves, but it's made a comeback. :-)

Ugh all of your garden photos make me wish I had a yard!!!

Grace

o

What a beautiful bougainvillea! toni you are right the raspberry ice I have started its blooming period when we had that cool period, about a week ago. Sugi what a true greenthumb, having to pull out healthy plants for space issues oh boy. If you ever have to pull out a boug let me know :D.

Toni since were in the same area I was wondering if you know where I would find good bougainvilleas. I have not seen a single one this season, besides tiny ones at small garden centers for $35. I would like to try one and let it grow in the ground. Or maybe If I propagate my raspberry ice I will let some shoots go in the ground :) But yes I would really like to know if you know where I would find one.

Purple, that is a beautiful persian shield :)

o

Hi everyone, that is a striking bougainvillea. I wish to have one one day but that day is simply not today. Bougainvilleas are difficult to grow north of the mason-dixon line and I have no greenhouse. Then again, its worth a try

Delrey, enjoying summer vacay

o

Thanks you too :D

o

Toni, that happened yesterday, I almost ran face-first into a big banana spider. It did need to be moved from the back porch, no matter how hard he/she had worked on that cool web, which was all over me. DH heard me yell so he was there to do the relocation but I would have done it if home alone. I'm lovin' that waffle too. Had a non-varieg one for years that I put in a bad spot and forgot about a few winters ago. It's not THAT xeric, oops! I'm not sure those are Petunias. Are you?

Sugi, sweet, but you tease! Your Boug rocks (as does the rest of your incredible collection!!) Nothing I can do about the weather but continue cursing at it (lately.)

Delrey, if Boug props easily from cuttings, I'd be happy to send some for postage. Vicarious satisfaction would be better than none, assuming you'd do great with it! It had beautiful fuchsia flowers when I got it (of course - why else would I succumb to such a ridiculous whimsy?) Didn't mean to, but accidentally glanced at it yesterday, no sign of anything but new leaves forming. Glad you like the PS. It doesn't travel well, but has been known to survive. I'd be happy to stick a few pieces of that in too, there are several around the yard.

The Aglaonema I pictured 7/1/13 is definitely going to make some flowers. Now I can see 4 (but only managed to get 3 in this pic.) They are slooooowwwww but that's true of everything this summer, all rain, NO sun.

o

Just remembered I took 2 other pics for this earlier.

Sans 'Moonshine' has made a pup.

Love this spot!!!

o

Morning All,

Delray, noticed you planted Musa Basjoo. They're beautiful and quite hardy.
Planted a basjoo in the back yard. It survived z5 cold winters...that is until winter 2012.
2012 was the coldest winter I remember. Not only did my Musa die but I lost a few perennials, too.
Since you're in z6, and if your winters aren't 5F for several months, your non-edible banana should do great...

You asked where you can find Bougainvillea. Are you talking about a locally or an online nursery?

Walmart had 3-4-foot, staked Bougs, for 19.99. (last year)
In either Aug or Sept, those that didn't sell, '30-40' were marked down to 4.00!!

Every so often, Home Depot has Bougs. A local nursery, Ted's in Tinley Park, sells Bougs, too.
I don't know your location, but you said we're close. Are you in IL or another state? If you'd rather not say, I understand.

My last Boug was purchased from an old hardware store, Handy Andy's, in the early 90's. Raspberry Ice. Had it several years..One summer, we needed a new roof. The men tossed old roofing material on my plants..My Boug and a few other plants, including the first rose I'd planted, Abe Lincoln, were buried under several layers of roofing tiles and rusty nails.

If you want to buy online, 'Accents for Home and Garden' has Bougs. 5.95 in 4" pots.
'Almost Eden Plants' has RI, 6.99.

Purple. Banana Spider! On your front porch? You almost ran into it? OMG!!!
Aren't they poisonous? How did your dh relocate? W/bare hands? Oh Lord!
My stomach is grumbling. B/P just increased, P, probably 150 bpm.
Don't know which is worse. Your Banana Spider or Rhizo's Black Widow.

Okay, 10-deep breaths. The one and only reason I don't care for summer. Darn bugs!

Your Aglao is doing great. Yes, Aglao flower buds are slow to open, but perhaps it's for the best. The longer they take to open, the longer you get to see, is it four?, buds. Then flowers and berries.

Do you know if your Aglao is 'Marie'?? Toni

o

Purple, is that Plechanthus'Mona Lavender' I see. I am also nursing one along

o

Purple, is that Plechanthus'Mona Lavender' I see. I am also nursing one along

o

Toni, I gave up trying to name the Aglaonema. No way to be sure. It came from Costa farms 'plants of steel' but I just looked, they don't even list Ag in their plant library. Will post a pic when the flowers open.

DH used a broom to 'grab' the spider and take it to the trees along the back fence where we hardly ever go. We should have taken a pic of it, but there are a million pics of banana spiders out there already. They're really cool, look hand-painted. Just not on the porch, like you said. I'd love for it to eat bugs there, but its' web was preventing us from using the porch.

TG, yes that's Mona with the 'Rex Begonia vine' (actually Cissus discolor.) Got it in NOLA this spring. It's grown so fast, I've put cuttings in about a dozen places so far (saw your discussion, will get in on it, don't worry.) That plant doesn't mind the rainy/cloudy weather either. That spot gets some dappled light throughout the day, then some direct just before sunset.

Here's an overall pic from part of front yard. Ferns in the corner, the bulb foliage next to that on the right is Amaryllis. Hardy here. TG, your mention of Amaryllis in another thread this morning made me think you might appreciate this shot. Also, where the ferns are in the corner is where that first avocado tree sprouted. Prob can't see it in this pic cuz I dumped a load of lawn trimmings in front of that spot before taking the pic. When I'm sure there's not still anything alive in that pile, I'll spread it out.

There's a brick edge there but DH claims the weed-wacker's broken. Hmmm...

o

I love armaryllis. I have 3 of them. Im jealous of your climate where you can experiment with certai houseplants surviving winter. Have you ever tried spider plants overwinter, they are hardy invasive monsters even in your area

o

Yes, glad you brought that up, a definite no-no. My Mom did that. I had to dig it out, no fun at the base of a giant oak tree. Those carrot roots can go down a foot or more. It doubles in size in about a year and, after a few years, it had reached maximum capacity there, smothering a patch of wax Begonias. It took months to finally die enough to compost, in a big plastic tub.

o

Oh my!!!!!!! I wish my spiders were so polific, You dont keep a variegated one as a patio plant, they are so beautiful

o

Afternoon All,

Posted yesterday, but for some reason it didn't go through. Wonder if the problem is w/my provider or GW.

Purple. I didn't see your C. discolor while writing my last post. What a beautiful, beautiful vine!
I can grow Cissus w/o problems, but kill discolors.
Wonder if it's a true Cissus..Another name is Begonia Vine, or some such name, but Begonia is definately a the 'common?' name.

I like the way your garden is setup.
Is the hanging plant, to the right, a Philo?

I believe your Aglao is 'Marie.' But, guess it doesn't matter since most Aglao's have the same care requirements.
Wish my Aglao looked as nice as yours.

Ag's are difficult keeping full/compact. At least my experieces. A couple weeks ago, I potted most green Aglo's in one container. Think I'll do the same w/pinks next. Saves on space, too.

The Black Widow. Urp!
Before relocating a poisonous or non-poisonous spider, I'd don the thickest, winter gloves, grab one of dh's size 10 shoes, then SPLAT!
I don't like killing bugs, truely, but there's no other choice. I'd never harm a butterfly, ladybug, etc.
With my luck, even if I had the ba$$s to relocate, it'd find its way back here.

I'll probably pay for it in another life. :)

I also like the view of your garden. Those pink flowers, Caladiums? are gorgeous.

Is the large-leaf plant an Elephant's Ears? What's the tall plant to the right?

Spider plants made great ground covers..I'd rather have Chloro's than boring grass. Toni
Hope this post goes through today.

o

"I like the way your garden is setup." Thanks!
"Is the hanging plant, to the right, a Philo?" Yes ;)

"Those pink flowers, Caladiums?"Yes "...are gorgeous." Thanks, I think so too!!

"Is the large-leaf plant an Elephant's Ears?" Yes, Colocasia esculenta, from a bin bulb from Lowe's over a decade ago.

"What's the tall plant to the right?" On the other side of the A/C box? Hydrangea. If you meant in front of the fence, it's Lantana camara on the left and knockout rose on the right, bumping into one big glob. That Lantana is a cutting that's supposed to go to DH's Mom's house. It needs to do that soon.

"Spider plants made great ground covers" Indeed, it will cover the ground.
"I'd rather have Chloro's than boring grass." If it wasn't a perfect hiding spot for snakes, I'd feel the same way. Three poisonous snakes have already been killed in Mom's yard. I think you would like our lawn though. It's full of tiny flowers.

Here's some things that are struggling from the weird weather, too much rain. Alocasia 'African mask' with some Sedum. The portulaca pilosa seems OK with it so far.

o

Purple dont know if you get this message in the other forums, but yes I would love to try some bougainvillea cuttings and pay for postage just let me know with details :)

Love your garden, very tropical looking for zone 8b well done.

And yes toni we are very close, im western suburbs of chicago, tinley park is a little far but Ive heard of Teds greenhouse.
Bougainvillea was not listed under the plants list they carry but I guess ill just have to go there someday and see.

Ive been to many home depots around and cannot find a single bougainvillea. You would think with all this heat they would bring some in but who knows.

Back to purple: does your calocasia stay green year round or does it sprout back up every year ?

o

Delrey, sent you a private about the Boug. I used to see them up north around Mother's Day, FWIW.

This past winter the Colocasia kept sending up leaves that would get frost bite. Usually it's colder and it just goes completely dormant.

o

I would love to be able to grow cannaas and colocasia outdoors year roung. Purple, cherish your hot humid climate because up here, its hard to get tropical

o

Morning, yawn, yawn...

Purple, thanks for your answers.
Wish you had a closup of Lantana and Hydrangea. Yes, I was talking about the hydrangea, right of the a/c.

Too bad you can't keep a 'little' Lantana..it's such a nice plant, pretty, little, colorful blooms. A hummer's dream..well bee's, too..
' Poisonous snakes? Yuck. IL has poisonous water snakes, but don't think we have land crawlers. I hope not.
On one side of our house, TONS of Hosta grow. They're 8-10"-plus w/flowers. Anything can hide under those plants.

I thought poisonous snakes lived outside US???

Purp, I have problems differentiating Sedum and Pachyveria? Too many sedums and pachys.

Portuulaca/Moss Rose,is usually sold here in baskets, but they make great ground covers, too. I consider them semi-succulent. Foliage is thick, notice?
Girl, I miss my younger days, before the gh. I used to sow various seeds, mostly annuals where the gh now sits. Moss Rose grew in the first/front row. Boo-hoo.

Delrey. Ever hear of Brookfield Zoo. I'm here. If you don't mind me asking....are you west and/or north of the zoo.

How tall is your Musa? Come late autumn, hack down to 1', and mulch..Mulch and re-mulch.
Hope this winter isn't going to be as cold as last year!

Planted my Musa summer 2010.

Musa, Basjoo

Banana

Musa started with one, little plant. As of 2011, it increased to three. Summer of 2012, there were four, thick trunks. Height 15-18', depending on leaf.

Hope yours does as well...Toni

o

Cool banana plant, I'm inspired!!! DH says we need some, I agree.

Toni, that little Portulaca is a petite cousin of moss roses, the flowers are tiny, pic below, smaller than a Tahitian bridal veil flower. Makes a great house plant, on the edge of hardiness here. I found it in a crack in the pavement across the street 2 years ago. I keep putting pieces in different pots to make sure I end up with tons eventually.

There are other Lantanas around the yard, I love them because they're always covered with butterflies, hummingbirds visit them often too, that's just not a big enough spot for one.

This is from a different plant, but here's a closeup

A different Hydrangea, but it did used to be a piece of the one by the A/C box until I propagated it and moved it here. Shown with Persian shield, Mirabilis jalapa (4'o'clocks,) and unfortunately none of the tiny pink flowers of Talinum paniculatum were open when I took this pic.

o

Purple our bougainvillea cuttings are on hold, I have a friend in San diego atm and they have found a bougainvilea!

Bangkok red is the variety ill attach a picture

o

That's pretty, Del! Good luck with it!!

First Aglaonema flower opened. Looks like there's 5.

o

Hurrah! Wonderful it reminds me of anthuriums in a way. beautiful and congratulations on the achievement!

o

Thanks! I didn't achieve anything though, I'm just an observer after putting them where *I* think they will be happy. Not all of them are so exuberant. Wish I had such power over plants! FWIW, it's been raining every day for about a month. This is one of the plants that likes that a lot.

o

Morning All,

Purple...You should add a Musa or two.
I haven't checked, 'if you want me to just say the word,' but there might be edible Musas hardy to your zone.

Purp, so you're saying your Portulaca is a smaller, flower variety than other Portulcacas/Moss Rose.

You said you put Port in different pots. Are they easily rooted and do they live indoors during winter?
I love Portulaca foliage and flowers.

How tall is your Lantana?
Home Depot sells Lantana 'standards' trees. They're probably grafted..Don't think Lantana grows 4-5' or develops a 3-4' trunk..Do you?

It's been a long time since I've sniffed Lantana..are flowers fragrant? Ohhh, hummers on your 'tana.

I don't know much about Hydrangea other than some are sold as gift plants, 'non-hardy, here,' and perennial Hydrangeas.
Which do you have?
Did you add something to soil to get blue flowers?

Speaking of 4'o'clocks, I bought seeds this year. Varieties are not hardy in IL.

Mirabilis Stars and Stripes. Annual.
Miarbilis Marvel of Peru. Annual.

Seeds were purchased too late in the season, so hopefully, they'll still be fertile next year.

4'o'clocks, 'no idea of type,' on south side of our house, were sowed from seed, mid-summer, years ago.
.10 packet sale.
I believe the packet said annual, too, yet they've been around for years. Oh, so fragrant. Semi-invasive, but nowhere near as invasive as Orange Trumpet Vine.
To think, I used to adore TV.

Purp, of course I believe you, but flowers on your MR look the exact size sold here. But pics can be deceiving. Especially close-ups.

Purp, your Aglao seems to have more than 5 buds. Maybe I'm mistaken.
It's beautiful. Gotta love Aglaos.
You're tempting me to set my Aglaos outside :)

Delrey, What a gorgeous Bougainvillea! Flowers are soooo red. Wow!
Are you planning on planting in-ground or keeping in container?
Do you know if it's evergreen or deciduous?

I swear, you guys are plant-teasers. lol. Toni

o

Im not sure yet, it may be a little late to try in the ground, maybe ill dig a hole for it to give it an "in-ground" appearance. You know the folks around chicago will be knocking on my door asking what is that

haha

o

Toni, yes, Lantana can get taller than me. Below is Lantana camara along the fence. It's huge! I haven't trimmed the dead branches out for a couple years, shame on me! Kind of a gnarly tangle, but the wildlife doesn't care. Yes the flowers are fragrant, but not everybody thinks Lantana smells good, I do. Butterflies and hummingbirds really love it.

That portulaca is P. pilosa. It was only in 1 pot last winter and was inside. If winter had been a month longer, it might have been lost, didn't like the cold and low light at all (like most tropical succulents.) It's a cute little native that I think you have to just find, doubt it would be for sale anywhere (except online.) I've only ever seen it in cracks in the pavement of parking lots. Yes, it takes root wherever it touches the soil. That's how I was able to save some pieces from the bank across the street. I'd been wanting to grab it, and when a crew showed up to redo the pavement, I knew it was 'now or never.'

The Hydrangeas are old-school H. macrophylla, probably from before 'they' started messing with hybrids so much. Most of the plants around this neighborhood are decades old. I don't put anything in the soil to make the flowers blue, but some of the cuttings I took from the mama shrub are making pink flowers. I guess what they say about the PH being different a few feet away is so true. The proof is in the cuttings, which for sure all came from the same mama shrub with blue flowers.

o

Morning All,

Delrey, if you plan on keeping your Boug in-ground year round, yes, it's too late. I'd wait until spring, 'whenever it arrives.'
BTW, is that type hardy here??? If so, I'm definately getting one. lol.

Oh yes, I KNOW how ppl come to our doors here, asking what 'x' plant is or if they can have a cutting/seeds.

My garden isn't as well-kept as it used to be.

One year I bought and planted, red, orange and yellow, Crown Imperial Fritillaria bulbs.
They were beautiful and back then, costly. Flowers were amazing. I was so proud of those guys.

One day I saw a man double-park in front; he was checking my garden. No biggie, right? The following morning I looked outside, didn't see any flowers. I stepped outside only to find 3 empty holes. I'm certain it was the same man.

Another time a neighbor asked for a few seed from my Giant Sunflower. I said, 'sure, help yourself. What he did was so unexpected. I 'assumed' he wanted a few seeds..Instead he cut off the entire flower head. lol.

Nowadays, my front garden has mostly, locally store-bought annuals and perennials. Although I did plant variegated Honeysuckle and variegated Mock Orange. Hope no one helps themselves to these newer plants.

Purple, unless you're 3' tall, lol, I wasn't aware Lantana grew as tall as a human.
Lantana sold here, 'unless grafted,' are fairly short. In fact, most, local, perennials get no larger than 3-4'.

If you hadn't ID'd your bushy Lantana, I'd have no idea what it was.
BTW, I too enjoy their scent. Who wouldn't???

So, your local Pilosa, roots when set atop soil? Like Kalanchoe.

You're right. Pilosa would need be ordered online. As a matter of fact, the day dh and I went garden plant shopping, I didn't see Moss Rose in pots or baskets.

Purp, don't take this the wrong way, but your story reminded me of a low-growing, shallow-rooted weed. This weed grows in soil but they're mostly seen in sidewalk cracks, too. They spread wide.

Your soil must be acidic. My old, hardy Hydrangea, 'sowed from seed,' had white flowers in fall.
I read, lowering pH will produce blue flowers and raising pH will produce pink or white flowers. Guess our back yard soil is alkaline.

Is foliage on your Hydrange thick or thin? My Hy had semi-thick foliage. Succulent-like.
Hydrangeas sold in stores have paper-thin leaves. Definately not hardy. Lately, most I've seen are either blue or pink. I thought, like so many other plants, flowers were painted.

Years ago I bought an established 'Hydrangea,' from a non-reliable nursery in IL. This nursery has a ton of Negative feedback on GarenWatchdog.
The nursery sends sticks that look dead. lol. But, they're not dead..I believe they're dormant.
After planted in the garden, plants grow some foliage. The following year, one wouldn't believe it's the same plant.

According to feedback on GWD, many people give negatives because this nursery sent the wrong plant.

Anyway, I ordered another Hydrangea, 'don't know variety,' many moons ago. It grew, was quite full, but never bloomed. Ever.
All it did was grow tall, taller, tallest.
In fact, one year my indoor plants were whie-fly infested, I discovered Hydrangea was the host.
This year we dug up that Hydrangea. It was a boring plant. lol.

I still find it amazing your Hy's have blue flowers. Toni

o

FINALLY I can add something here! LOL

...Just wish the pics were taken a little better(sun obscured the view-thingy).

o

ANNNNNND one more! :)

o

Wow thanks so much asleep, I love the alocasia in the second pic, I think I have the same variety, it seemed to take a while to leaf out, just around early july for me. :)

o

Nice! I'm not alone, whew! Those are fantastic leaves, Asleep. How long have they been in the ground?

If I had any inkling it would rain almost every day for 6 weeks, I never would have put these plants in the ground. Most of them haven't died yet, but there's been hardly any growth at all except the Kalanchoe in the middle near the bottom of the pic. I've taken cuttings from it 3 times already although it started as a cutting itself at the first of April. And if that's hardy here, it's a huge mistake putting it there. Every little tiny green bit at the base of these plants is a baby Kalanchoe. Hope they're easy to pull.

I try to keep the leaves picked out of the area, but it's getting tedious. I think I'm about ready to dig these back up.

This little Adromischus does have a flower stalk, so it's not all bad.

o

Morning,

Asleep, what do you do with Alocasias in winter?
Wrap them up in the dark or keep potted?

The first Alo, 'African Mask' blooms in fall and winter. At least in pots, don't know about in-ground.. Or repotting in a container after being in-ground.

In pic one, what are the blade-like plants?

My favorite Alo is one I can't grow..Of course, I can't think of the name off hand...lol. It has arrow foliage.

Purp...If Kalanchoe is hardy where you live, as it's common name describes, you will have Mother of Thousands/Millions. lol.

Since Kal leaves drop in nearby containers, by spring they're big plants, ready to be in a pot of their own. However, I sure don't want duplicates.
Like you, I planted several in-ground, but since they're not hardy here, they'll either freeze or if I bother transplanting in a pot, by mid-winter they'll send out tall, orange flowers..yet another duplicte plant.

If by chance they are invastive, young Kals have shallow roots..so fairly easy to lift. Toni

o

Delreytropical,
Thank YOU! :)
I've always assumed that it is a macrorhiza even though the leaves aren't always totally upright. I got it from a neighbor's yard when I was still down south. I'd remarked on it's beauty and the lady said "oh that thing?"..and went on to tell me that her husband was gonna hit it with the mower when he got home! At that point I asked her for a shovel. :D

Purp,
I popped those guys in the front bed in early spring(which was likely still too cold)and a few of them are actually still frikkin dormant! :/

Toni,
Typically I allow the alocasias to remain in their pots over the winter and eventually go dormant. It's sad to see them go to sleep but then I think about the space they's be taking up if they didn't and then I don't feel so bad! Now I'm not sure if I should pot the ones in the ground before taking them in. Storing them bare kinda makes me nervous though I don't know why it should.. Acquired the african mask this spring and maybe I'll see bloom eventually but right now I kinda doubt it...I'm terrible with these and my whole purpose in putting them in-ground was a desperate ploy at growing them right. I have a history of killing them in containers.
Edit: Sorry Toni,forgot to mention that the leaves you asked about are daylilies.
...Here's a pic of the front bed.

This post was edited by asleep_in_the_garden on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 11:55

o

Also some time back I spoke about putting a spider baby out front in the bed,and how it fried to nothing...then eventually came back from the roots.

This is what it's looking like now. :)

o

Morning,

Purple, forgot to mention your succulent, Andro. They're so cute.
I have one that's been in a 'sort-of' dish garden. If it's flowered I missed it. Love their pouchy leaves, too.
Your Andro is so full.

Hey Asleep. So, in other words, you place Alocasias in a dark room, and refrain from watering?
I'd be afraid, too. lol.

My AM is old, has ONE leaf. The bulb/corm is firm, so it's not dead..just not doing anything.
If it wasn't for ants, it would have been summered outside.
Alo is kept in the upstairs bathroom, on the toilet tank,, lol, adjacent a west window..I know it's not getting enough light which is probably the reason there's one leaf.

This summer we bought a few annuals..Dh chose a plant that was tagged, flowering kale. Anyway, he said, let's get this plant.
After we left, I asked why he chose Alocasia. He said, I didn't pick an Alo, I bought Flowering Kale. I said, 'dh, that's not kale.' lol.
There's way too many Alocasias and Colocasias to ID.

If I decide to save the bulb/corm for next year, when do I dig up? It's in an outdoor container, so it'll have to be lifted.
Definately not hardy. Also, I wonder if it should be stored in the basement w/Dahlias....Bare-root, no water, dark.

Hey, don't blame yourself. African Mask are difficult plants.
Don't give up.

Beautiful Daylilies! They're sure getting enough sun.
Your first Lily, in the back, looks huge....???

Aw, your Spider is looking-good. Bet your were surprised finding a plant you thought dead! It looks terrific now.

Did you ever go to GReat America?
In different sections of the park are large, 'ornate,' containers w/huge Spider Plants..Spiders live in full sun, yet, they thrive beautifully. So many babies, too.
I never figured how they got Spiders to live in direct sun w/o brown tips/leaves.

Toni

o

Hi Toni!

The AMs were in the ground when I first laid eyes on them and soon were moved to containers. Since then it's been hit and miss but when I put them in the garden bed they come back in force...provided they wake up(still have a few that are sleeping even now). When winter approaches I move them to containers where they are allowed to go dormant when they feel like it...which is shortly after I start cutting back on the watering,and after that I let things get pretty dry in there till spring. I'd just dig yours up and pop it in a suitable sized pot and then bring it in once things get too chilly to be outside...so far this is what's working for me.

The spider had been thrust into the full morning sun without any to adjust at all so although I wasn't the least surprised that it fried,I honestly would have been really shocked if nothing came back from those healthy roots that I knew were running wild and loving life.

Really appreciate the pep talk where the african mask is concerned,so far so good...in fact I'm getting a new leaf at the moment(I'll have to get more pics of it tomorrow)and I can't wait to see it open! I just KNOW it's going to be even more spectacular than it's predecessor. I'm pretty jazzed to say the least.

Those daylilies are survivors of and escapees from captivity that I found in a ditch under too much canopy for them to have really been happy so I took 'em home where they could get their fill of sun,..and yeah you're right,..a few are getting pretty big alright! Thanks much for the compliments by the way,I am kinda proud of my greenkids.

Here's a look at one of the smaller AMs that's in a pot in the shade of the maple in back and getting nowhere near the sun that it's clone is getting up front.

o
Meanwhile up front...

The one in full sun is looking like this...

o

Update on african mask.

Go leaf GO!

o

This has turned out to be an awful spot for these poor succulents. Under water again yesterday. It didn't really come out in the pic, but there's water standing in this whole area.

(And so far, no sprouts on the bulbs. They might just be dormant, they say sometimes you have to wait a while for bulbs to recover after being moved. Really hoping these like the added sunshine (and, of course, rain) from being outside.) ...no, really, sorry, they're on their way to be "disposed of properly."

o

I'd move 'em to higher ground myself. Maybe after sitting 'em on newspaper to dry 'em out a bit first,but I know you know what you're doin Purp. :)

Spent my whole life in the south and miss it terribly sometimes. So jealous of the extended summer you'll have by comparison,but at least it could give the ummm...potential compost a fighting chance? No? Too late?

o

No, you're right, that was the last straw. Everything that was there looks like it can recover but I did dig everything out. Clearly this weather pattern isn't going to change, only get worse from what they're saying now. I've seen water puddle up in the yard at some time every year I've lived here, but never in some of these places at all before this year, and so much deeper in the usual low spots.

This spot below was doing so well until our dog walked through it a couple weeks ago. It's gotten drowned so many times since then, stuff wasn't recovering, and some rotting. I took cuttings of most of what was left yesterday, from the struggling plants, mostly the Begonias. Stuck them in the higher, dryer ground of pots. Oh irony, how I love you. Luckily the pretty vine seems quite happy with everything, it's on kind of a bump, so never under water. Other spots and plants seem to be coping OK. This has been a totally new challenge this year, after decades of ground/potted growing. Everything to the right of the support thing is under water, an inch or more.

o

Happy to hear you got 'em out.

Maybe some nice marginals in their place? ...Fancy cyperus?

o

Back when things were just warming up and minnesota finally elected to relinquish winter,I put this tiny bit of ficus pumila in the dirt back behind the waterfeature.

The leaves are noticeably tougher than the pampered ones indoors in their various humidity traps.

o

Spider experiment looks like it was productive!

And to think it was burned to the ground earlier in the spring. Wow...way to recover!

o

After the overexposure to the sun and likewise being burned down,..this is all I have to show for coleus this year. LOL

o

The trad that was still holding the ground when I took mama pot and all to the back actually looks a little better than the ones that went to the west side for the summer...maybe they like morning sun better?

o

Love the colors in the above pic!

Elephant ear (Colocasia esculenta) has made a flower!

o

The whole plant, sort of.

o

Thank you Purp,

...kinda thought you'd appreciate all the purple in that shot! :)

I see your magical money producing EE has been harvested since the last photo of it.

Hope you didn't spend it all in one place! ;)

o

Here's some pots of plants excavated from the ground to huddle inside while it's too cold. Then back outside in the spring! Sorry the pics are small, Imageshack is doing that. Maybe you can get a bigger version clicking on them, I can't figure it out. I thought there were too many pics for individual posts...

Begonias, Hemigraphis, the Tradescantia pallida is hardy but the above-ground parts are lost to frost. Might as well start new plants with them over winter.

Sans, more Begonia, Tradescantia, ZZ, Callisia fragrans:

Begonia, Aglaonema, misc cuttings.

Rex Begonia vine cuttings put in water for a few weeks until roots appeared, Brugmansia cutting, Tradescantia 'Red Hill.'

The 2 pots on the left are from a recent trade but the pot on the right is excavated ground plants, Sans, Coleus, Callisia fragrans, another Begonia.

Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender' with Tradescantia cuttings.

Couple of Aglaonemas, Begonias.

More Ags and Tradescantia. These 2 Ags are losing some leaves over this, the hardest adjustment (apparent so far) of any of them. I left the soon-to-be-lost leaves on, on purpose. These were desperately thirsty when I dug them up, that probably didn't help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here