Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tell when my Pointsettia is ready for pollination?

Posted by hippeastrumadmirer 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 10:00

Could I please Obtain a valid message, or if you have a poinsettia plant could you make a video of you hand pollinating it and upload it on youtube, please :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tell when my Pointsettia is ready for pollination?

Hi...
1st of all You will need to look and see if You have any of These Guys Showing

Photobucket

If So then You DO Have Female Flowers and Hopefly You can get Started...

This is part of the Battle... to get Female Flowers...

Need to Go and check out some info for You But I hope I've Started to be a Help...

o
RE: How to tell when my Pointsettia is ready for pollination? Con

They are about the stage You want to pollinate. You can hit them a little earlier or maybe a little later if needs be.

To increase your chances, You can pollinate the same flower on multiple days. With a small operation or experimentation, that might help ensure that You get some seeds.....

o

No mine are not developed like that, I guess they are premature and i'm guessing that the red i'm guessing (stigma)is where you have to put the pollen on? Those extremely small yellow colored circles i'm guessing that's the pollen? Anyways I will take a picture of my pointsettia and show you what stage they are at, i'm not even sure myself? And so far you have been a wonderful help, thank you so Much :)

o

This is what mine looks like so far :/, when would it be ready to open?

o

If another Image may help :)

o

Yes its the Red Stigma Not the Lips... LOL and You are Right in the Fact that Yours are Premature.... You may Find that You get Male Flowers 1st...

o

The stigma is the female organ...the one that may eventually look like a little cup. The stamen is the pollen (sperm) bearing structure. Those red stems will have yellow pollen on the ends.

I am curious about your reasoning behind the desire to pollinate your plants. Not that you need a reason other than being interested and curious....

o

I have yellow pollen bearing Stamens Showing but NO Females Yet...

I'd LOVE to Breed and Name One for My Grandad....

o

Hey Ninecrow that's sweet :)

o

***BUMP***

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here