Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

When can I say I have Plumeria?

I was given 2 ginormous cuttings of Plumeria 16 days ago, stuck them in a huge pot with other various plants. It was also the first time smelling a Plumeria flower. Wow!!! Yes, yes, yes, I do want to finagle a spot in the house in future winters for at least one of these trees. The mama plants were a couple feet taller than me in places of their 'canopy.' These cuttings were dripping latex sap all over the place, that part was a little unnerving since I wasn't expecting that, but SO GLAD I already know I'm allergic to it, and just didn't touch the sap. When I got them home, I scrubbed well after taking the damp paper towels off, even though I didn't touch them, I knocked them loose with my shoe.

One is still green but lost all of its' leaves. Tugging gently, I feel resistance. I just picked the last 2 petiole stumps off before taking this pic. Nice green color under there, but the tip looks a little dark. What do you think?

{{gwi:111120}}

The other one has about a dozen leaves that stayed on, the top 3 are fairly upright. This one I'm pretty confident about, from the leaves staying on and still being so perky, at least at the top. It has 3 growth points at the tip which I think is really cool. Thoughts?

{{gwi:111121}}

Comments (18)

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

I've had a small one for a few years. I don't really know much about them but they go dormant when chilled and can stay a bare stem for a long time. Two winters ago (2011), mine lost all it's leaves and didn't grow new leaves until last june, this year it grew some nice big leaves but didn't flower.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Well, and here I thought you had every plant under the sun....Lol//:-)

I love them and just let me say that they will do awesome in your care I am sure 100%

You can treat them as an annual or perennial...

Of course I treat mine like a perennial..I cut all the leaves off after October and store them in my basement until it's time to bring them up come the spring where they lie dormant...

Mine seem to bloom every other year...I LOVE the fragrance of these, especially the coconut smelling ones..

Watch out for bugs...Boy do they LOVE these..That explains why I prefer to cut them back and leave them bare until after the last frost and when the sun is nice and hot..

Congrats..I am happy for you.

Mike

• emerald1951
    10 years ago

Hi......and Hi to you Mike....
    I have one of these too. and when it was given to me, I was told the same as Mike said, the only other thing is it is in need of alot of fertilizer...when the leaves start to appear in spring...I start to fertilize with a Bloom booster-like miracle grow...and I water with it everytime it needs water...and it blooms every year...enjoy its a great plant....linda

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

The thing is don't plant them straight away. Leave them laying in a warm dry place (warm by your winter standards anyway). Let them callous over on the cut ends. They can lay around like that for a few weeks without any trouble. Once the cut ends are sealed they can be planted without problems from rot getting in. I've at times left them out like that where it's been a bit damp and forgotten about them. They ended sprouting roots anyway. Other than needing a bit of warmth, they're incredibly tough plants. Many of mine are flowering now. By the way, around the world they're mainly called Frangipani, so if you're doing any googling for more info try that name as well.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the inputs! Much appreciated. Tropic, if these fail, I will try that, TY. Too late for these cuttings. Makes sense though, they sure were 'juicy!' I had no idea it was the same thing as Frangipani. Cool.

• birdsnblooms
    10 years ago

Morning,

"When can i say I have Plumeria?"
    Once a cane is placed in your hand..once the cane is in your house or yard.
    Purple, you have not one but two Plumerias, so you can say, "I have two Plumes." :)

In the late 90's, I bought 2 Plumerias. By late fall, all leaves dropped..once winter hit, spider mites attacked. Masses...in the trash they went.
    I vowed never to buy another.

In the 2000's, a seller in HI had numerous, rooted canes for 1.00.
    I bought several to plant in the garden.
    That year I discovered Plumes were very cold sensitive. In late summer, each plume was potted but left outside.
    I planned on bringing inside, when it suddenly grew cold..Real cold. Each and every Plume froze in minutes.
    Canes were squishy. In the trash they went.

in 2011? i bought a grafted, variegated Plum from a seller in Thailand..it's called 'Arrow.'
    It's never been outdoors.
    Unlike the first Plumerias, although it's dropped some leaves, there are still quite a few, 'so far, anyway.'
    Never bloomed.

Perhaps, some types drop all leaves, and others none.

When I bought the first two Plumes, I was told after leaves dropped to place in a brown paper bag, no water or light..didn't work.
    I placed one in bag..the second was left out..number 2 was the Plum with mites.

Canes look very healthy.

Good luck with your new Plumerias. Toni

Original Author
    10 years ago

I like your positive attitude! A more accurate question would be can I keep these Plumeria pieces alive? We will see...

You've had a long, strange Plumeria trip! Hope it has a happy ending soon. If all goes well, I'd be happy to send you a piece from what I have sometime next year.

Original Author
    8 years ago

Wasn't sure if this was still alive after going naked this past winter. Put in ground about 6 weeks ago to hope it would wake up. Yes, it has!

• flowerpottipper
    8 years ago

Awesomeness!! An instagram friend just sent me three cuttings of them in red, pink, and white. I had no idea they had to be rooted in a certain way and I'm following those rules, hopefully they'll root soon... I put them in a black pot with pea gravel on top cause those two things attract heat and they need heat to root.... the white one has started to throw out buds but i might have to remove them so it'll spend the energy on making roots and not flowers...om keeping my fingers crossed that they root and grow for me, I've wanted these for so long!!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Excellent! Good vibes!

Original Author
    8 years ago

This is growing new leaves really quickly, exciting!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    8 years ago

Hi Tiffany!!

What a beautiful three tipped tree! It looks so healthy!

I'm sure you are pleased...congratulations!!!

What variety is it?

Keep us posted!!

Laura

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's an update. Laura, it's a mystery, yet, what species/cultivar... This thing ended up getting over 4 ft. tall, and wider than that.

I think I see a peduncle (bloom stalk) forming. FINALLY!

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Looks very healthy, Tiffany!! It certainly looks like an inflorescence starting to form!!! I know you are very happy to see this beauty!!! Congratulations!!!

You might want to stake those branches to alleviate some of the weight from those leaves. Or you can always cut a few bottom leaves off. When cutting leaves off the branch, always leave about an inch from the main stalk. It will naturally fall off In About a week to ten days. I sometimes train branches and will put floral tape and bring those two branches together until they harden off. It's easy to pull them together especially when they are still green and flexible . Once they are more mature, you can take the tape off of the mature wood.

Is your tree plunged in the ground in a container? Or did you plant it directly in the ground? I'm starting to prepare my trees for the winter.. I have so many to prepare, but I'm starting to think of my plans ... Ugh.

For those of you starting out with Plumeria cuttings, you can take the cutting and Immediately dip the flat cut ( we like a flat cut instead of 45 degree angle) in root tone ( I like to mix half with sulfur in my mixture) this stops the latex from oozing .. Then allow to callous for a week to tens days out of the sun and then pot up to root. Always cut the leaves from your cutting so it saves moisture . The cutting needs to retain as much as possible and will lose moisture through the leaves.. So cut leaves off of any new cutting.

You did a fabulous job with yours, Tiff!!

I am thrilled to see and I can't wait to see your gorgeous blooms!!

take good care ,

Laura

Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL thanked Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

TYVM! I'm SO psyched! Just this past weekend we were walking around the yard and DH asked, "Is this thing coming inside?" I said, "Man, IDK. If it's not going to make any flowers, it's hard to rationalize it taking up so much space..." I think it heard the conversation!

It's planted commando. I have no idea what to expect when extracting it...!

It would be helpful if I could get it more upright, vs. growing sideways. Much appreciated!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi! TYVM! And thanks for your note. I got in one of my frustrated moods about spam a few *months* ago & haven't checked email since. That's weird too, I was just wondering about her, like 2 days ago. Tell her I'll be in touch soon, my email addy hasn't changed, I just don't check it sometimes. (Putting myself in a time out.)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company