Return to the House Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When can I say I have Plumeria?

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 10:06

I was given 2 ginormous cuttings of Plumeria 16 days ago, stuck them in a huge pot with other various plants. It was also the first time smelling a Plumeria flower. Wow!!! Yes, yes, yes, I do want to finagle a spot in the house in future winters for at least one of these trees. The mama plants were a couple feet taller than me in places of their 'canopy.' These cuttings were dripping latex sap all over the place, that part was a little unnerving since I wasn't expecting that, but SO GLAD I already know I'm allergic to it, and just didn't touch the sap. When I got them home, I scrubbed well after taking the damp paper towels off, even though I didn't touch them, I knocked them loose with my shoe.

One is still green but lost all of its' leaves. Tugging gently, I feel resistance. I just picked the last 2 petiole stumps off before taking this pic. Nice green color under there, but the tip looks a little dark. What do you think?

The other one has about a dozen leaves that stayed on, the top 3 are fairly upright. This one I'm pretty confident about, from the leaves staying on and still being so perky, at least at the top. It has 3 growth points at the tip which I think is really cool. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When can I say I have Plumeria?

I've had a small one for a few years. I don't really know much about them but they go dormant when chilled and can stay a bare stem for a long time. Two winters ago (2011), mine lost all it's leaves and didn't grow new leaves until last june, this year it grew some nice big leaves but didn't flower.

o

Well, and here I thought you had every plant under the sun....Lol//:-)

I love them and just let me say that they will do awesome in your care I am sure 100%

You can treat them as an annual or perennial...

Of course I treat mine like a perennial..I cut all the leaves off after October and store them in my basement until it's time to bring them up come the spring where they lie dormant...

Mine seem to bloom every other year...I LOVE the fragrance of these, especially the coconut smelling ones..

Watch out for bugs...Boy do they LOVE these..That explains why I prefer to cut them back and leave them bare until after the last frost and when the sun is nice and hot..

Congrats..I am happy for you.

Mike

o

Hi......and Hi to you Mike....
I have one of these too. and when it was given to me, I was told the same as Mike said, the only other thing is it is in need of alot of fertilizer...when the leaves start to appear in spring...I start to fertilize with a Bloom booster-like miracle grow...and I water with it everytime it needs water...and it blooms every year...enjoy its a great plant....linda

o

The thing is don't plant them straight away. Leave them laying in a warm dry place (warm by your winter standards anyway). Let them callous over on the cut ends. They can lay around like that for a few weeks without any trouble. Once the cut ends are sealed they can be planted without problems from rot getting in. I've at times left them out like that where it's been a bit damp and forgotten about them. They ended sprouting roots anyway. Other than needing a bit of warmth, they're incredibly tough plants. Many of mine are flowering now. By the way, around the world they're mainly called Frangipani, so if you're doing any googling for more info try that name as well.

o

Thanks for the inputs! Much appreciated. Tropic, if these fail, I will try that, TY. Too late for these cuttings. Makes sense though, they sure were 'juicy!' I had no idea it was the same thing as Frangipani. Cool.

o

Morning,

"When can i say I have Plumeria?"
Once a cane is placed in your hand..once the cane is in your house or yard.
Purple, you have not one but two Plumerias, so you can say, "I have two Plumes." :)

In the late 90's, I bought 2 Plumerias. By late fall, all leaves dropped..once winter hit, spider mites attacked. Masses...in the trash they went.
I vowed never to buy another.

In the 2000's, a seller in HI had numerous, rooted canes for 1.00.
I bought several to plant in the garden.
That year I discovered Plumes were very cold sensitive. In late summer, each plume was potted but left outside.
I planned on bringing inside, when it suddenly grew cold..Real cold. Each and every Plume froze in minutes.
Canes were squishy. In the trash they went.

in 2011? i bought a grafted, variegated Plum from a seller in Thailand..it's called 'Arrow.'
It's never been outdoors.
Unlike the first Plumerias, although it's dropped some leaves, there are still quite a few, 'so far, anyway.'
Never bloomed.

Perhaps, some types drop all leaves, and others none.

When I bought the first two Plumes, I was told after leaves dropped to place in a brown paper bag, no water or light..didn't work.
I placed one in bag..the second was left out..number 2 was the Plum with mites.

Canes look very healthy.

Good luck with your new Plumerias. Toni

o

I like your positive attitude! A more accurate question would be can I keep these Plumeria pieces alive? We will see...

You've had a long, strange Plumeria trip! Hope it has a happy ending soon. If all goes well, I'd be happy to send you a piece from what I have sometime next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the House Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here