Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

How much money could i sell this plant for?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

I brought this rubber tree recently and it is a nice size specimen and it was a good price. I decided to go and buy another one. and try to sell it online.
They are over 2ft tall and have several branches with tons of leave.
The ones i see on ebay are single branches and very small. And with the shipping cost more that i paid for these ones.

(this is not an ad, i just want opinions.)

How much should i list it for?
What would you pay?

Comments (9)

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is another angle.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    9 years ago

Quick question...when you said "several branches" did you mean that there are several branches coming up out of the medium,or several branches coming off the main stem?

Hard to tell in the shots above.

Others will have to guide you on your selling 'em,..personally I've never bought anything online(yeah I know,..I live under a rock lol).

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I quickly checked sold ones on eBay and the priciest one was a foot tall. It sold for $10.50 and the shipping was $11.50.

The shipping is high due to the care that one would need to box it up and have it shipped and arrived undamaged.

I buy a lot from eBay, but probably wouldn't consider buying a house plant that size other than locally, as I'd wonder what condition it would be in when it arrived. The bare root perennials I get are small enough so that they are easy to pack and ship.

Depending on where you live and where the potential buyer may live, I don't know how you'd guarantee that it would stay warm during shipment this time of year.

I Googled shipping or mailing large house plants and came up with just an old post from GW linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to ship plants

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

dupe

This post was edited by my3dogs on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 12:12

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

removed duplicate post

This post was edited by my3dogs on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 12:11

• summersunlight
    9 years ago

You might want to try selling it on your local craigslist to avoid the problem of trying to keep it from freezing if it gets shipped somewhere cold.

Anyway I would agree that it would be reasonable to price a plant that size at $10 or so (might get $15 if you are lucky) plus shipping.

• renais1
    9 years ago

I just saw plants this size or a bit larger at a nursery in town; they were $7.50, but they were only in 1 gallon pots. I bet you could get $9 or $10 for these plants in bigger pots. Walmart has similar plants, about the same size for $5, but they have been sitting around for a while so the leaves don't look as clean. The Walmart plants were probably a bit taller than yours, but not as clean looking. I'd go for trying $10 a plant, and see if someone wants to buy it.
    Renais

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

Our grocery stores have these for sale all the time. And majestic palms, Arboricolas, and dracaenas. 10" pots, usually $10.

Here's a person with very much wishful thinking! A very overgrown Umbrella Aroboricola for $280!

Here is a link that might be useful: Asking too much!

• kwie2011
    9 years ago

The problem with selling large plants is shipping. The size of the box, not the weight, determines shipping cost with something like this.

Measure the box size you'd need, estimate the weight, then use the USPS website to determine shipping. You can do the same with UPS ground service, which will be your best net for such a large plant.

You'll need to either ship it bare-root, or you'll need to fill the top of the pot with Styrofoam peanuts, then tape it all into the pot. Then lay the plant in the box, fill around it with peanuts until it's packed tight and can't move, then tape it up.

Once you've done all that, your shipping costs are going to seriously impact your price. I think you could sell the tree for about $25 locally, but you'd have to subtract the shipping costs from an eBay sale, and you'd be wise to wait until the chance of freezing during shipping is substantially lower then now.